Too many damn rules

T

timmyholton

Seems like NASCAR creates a new rule for everything

I hate the overtime rule. Just another way to make NASCAR seem like a stick and ball sport

So theres this line that if they cross then the race is over? And it's not the finish line?

Pit road commitment cone. Damn that cone. It was fun seeing what drivers were faking and would pull out last second. Had drama. Thats gone

That damn lucky dog. Our car is mediocre but we'll be rewarded by gettin our lap back

3 rules I will never understand

Goods ones Timmy . How about fastest car doesn't necessarily get the pole. Or best car all season may not make the playoffs.

I think you've summed up the reasons for NASCAR's decline over the past decade very concisely.

rule.png

...but I still love it
Me as well. None of those original rules mentioned really concern me all that much. Now, the first one that @ted@economy mentioned about the fastest car not getting the pole, that's asinine. Also, any rule that mentions playoffs in NASCAR is a bad rule. This is auto racing. There should never be a playoff in auto racing.

The teams forced NASCAR to create rules.

In an episode of Americarna Ray Evernham showed how a 70's car that ran at Daytona had some tricks to fool inspection, stuff I wasn't aware of. (Ray knew what to look for).

i guess i cnat hate the lucky dog too much since it evolved into double file restarts

but can you imagine a 1st time nascar viewer watching a race and the overtime rule comes into effect

that fan would be so confused

I don't mind the lucky dog. I can accept it as a safety compromise over the old racing back to the caution. I have no feelings about qualifying methods.

I have actively disliked the G-W-C / overtime / 'now it's an official restart' line / etc from Day 1. If the race ends under yellow, so be it. This is Richmond's fault; they were the first ones to throw a red flag to keep a race from ending under caution.

I won't say there's no place in racing for playoffs. I will say that the current system is NOT a good form of them, and is an inferior way to deciding the season's champion. Any system where a driver can win 35 of 36 races, finish 2nd in the 36th, and not be champion is toro caca.

GWC creates drama....WIll your drive miss a shift? will someone door slam them? Steal their air? stay tuned.....

I too have a problem with the lucky dog. I realize it was the formalization of a gentlemen's agreement drivers had before they banned racing back to the yellow (good rule IMO). That doesn't make it ok now. The wave around though I completely understand. You give up your chance to pit to get a lap back, that's a good trade-off.

I'm fine with the commitment cone and I actually want to see it moved back farther from the entrance to pit road. Why? so that cars blocked behind lapped traffic can catch up to the leader before pitting. This would put even more emphasis on pit crew speed and allow a truly fast crew to gain more spots.

Overtime rule - I can understand trying to avoid fan disappointment when a race ends under yellow flag. It was a major issue and thought to hurt drawing in fans. But I think that one attempt is enough - and that there shouldn't be any questionable cautions near the end of a race to trigger overtime.

"So theres this line that if they cross then the race is over? And it's not the finish line? "
Yeah, it's confusing to new fans too. But the race isn't necessarily over at the overtime line - that's the line the leaders have to pass before another caution flag, in order for NASCAR to decide if they need another overtime or not. It is true that (as of today) the rules say that if the leader crosses the overtime line and then there is a caution flag the finishing order is frozen (and therefore the race is over). If there is not another caution flag then they still race one more lap (the white flag lap).

Pit road commitment cone - it's a safety thing. Racers can still fake at it, although maybe not as effectively as before.

Lucky dog - not a fan of it either, but I've given in to it due to safety again. But (in my opinion) a driver should only get one "lucky dog" per race.

Playoffs make no sense to me in auto racing. They make sense in other sports where there are too many teams for them to all play each other during the regular season. But every NASCAR race includes all of the competitive teams (and the franchise rules virtually guarantee it) so we don't need playoffs to get strong teams to face each other.

"Nascar has heard the concerns and has a subcommittee already working and generating new rules to address matters.
Stay tuned."
Great... so even more rules to come...

If I remember right the lucky dog was at least partially in place because some drivers would slow way down to let certain other drivers get by. I don't have a problem with the lucky dog and look at it as another tool in strategy during the race. I never have liked any of the forms of the chase. As far as I was concerned they just needed to tweek the old rules. The way it is going now you can run a partial season and still have a chance at the playoffs. I didn't have much of a problem with it being done with Busch since it was race related, but for Tony I do. It didn't involve Nascar at all so it should have been a too bad so sad.

I'm still mad they changed the overtime rules this season. Green-White-Checkered was a uniquely NASCAR way to settle thing and it was easy to explain to newbies. Heck, I still tell my friends that's how it works and just ignore the stupid "overtime line" rules. Thanks Kevin Harvick and "Junior Nation" for not being able to understand a few simple rules and cutting down our chance of a green finish by half a lap.

I'm still mad they changed the overtime rules this season. Green-White-Checkered was a uniquely NASCAR way to settle thing and it was easy to explain to newbies. Heck, I still tell my friends that's how it works and just ignore the stupid "overtime line" rules. Thanks Kevin Harvick and "Junior Nation" for not being able to understand a few simple rules and cutting down our chance of a green finish by half a lap.
Nascar is in a no win situation on the finish rules. I'm good with a one simple GWC but this overtime BS can get to be a pain. The end of the Indy race was kind of joke with them not able to do a lap before somebody caused a caution.

Back
Top Bottom