TRD Roster

Fordracing7

2018 Pick em Champion
Hands down they have the best program in Nascar on and off they track I have to admit it atleast right now.

Kyle Busch
Denny Hamlin
Matt Kenseth
Carl Edwards
Martin Truex
Erik Jones

Daniel Suarez
Christopher Bell

Now that they have lost Byron it clears up the future a bit. They're alot of other people in the truck series driving Toyotas but this to me pretty much is their roster.

I'm not sure that Daniel Suarez is tied to Toyota or Gibbs long term. Suarez is sponsored by Arris, and Arris also sponsors Carl Edwards. Jayski reports that the Arris deal for Edwards lasts through 2017, so maybe the Suarez deal with Gibbs is also through 2017? But after that, who knows?

I'd tend to think Suarez would be an attractive target for Ford, Chevy, or Toyota. JMO of course.

David Wilson has stated repeatedly that TRD can comfortably support eight cars. You have listed eight drivers. Hmmmmm. Could be some shuffling down the line with retirements, etc. (and Gilliland is in the pipeline), but what you have listed makes sense.

There is no question that Toyota is the top dog at this juncture and when you are the top dog everything looks good. Next year Ford will have a nice stable of drivers adding Harvick and Kurt to its roster which leaves Chevrolet with Jimmie Johnson and Chase Elliot plus a lame duck Kasey Kahne and the soon to be retired Dale Jr. Everything goes in cycles as it wasn't that long ago that Toyota was in the doldrums and I am sure Rick Hendrick will provide whatever resources necessary to attract new talent and the bits and pieces to become a regular winner again.

Gilliland is in the pipeline...
Rev, are you claiming that Gilliland is under long term contract to TRD? Like Erik Jones is and William Byron isn't? Or that Gilliland is a "free agent" without a long term deal who is currently driving a Toyota? I'm just trying to understand what being in the TRD pipeline means.

Rev, are you claiming that Gilliland is under long term contract to TRD? Like Erik Jones is and William Byron isn't? Or that Gilliland is a "free agent" without a long term deal who is currently driving a Toyota? I'm just trying to understand what being in the TRD pipeline means.

Nope. Not claiming that Gilliland is under contract, but I do believe that if TRD wanted him, they could have him. Just my opinion.

Nope. Not claiming that Gilliland is under contract, but I do believe that if TRD wanted him, they could have him. Just my opinion.
Fair enough. I believe that if TRD wanted him, they could have him, *if* their offer was better than any other offer (same as William Byron). Personally, I am relieved to learn that TRD has (apparently) not unleashed an endless torrent of cash and other commitments upon the Nascar young driver universe... for reasons of parity.

Fair enough. I believe that if TRD wanted him, they could have him, *if* their offer was better than any other offer (same as William Byron). Personally, I am relieved to learn that TRD has (apparently) not unleashed an endless torrent of cash and other commitments upon the Nascar young driver universe... for reasons of parity.

I think that @Allenbaba pointed out that Toyota did not pursue William Byron. Secondly, it absolutely makes me laugh to hear all of the references to Toyota cash. That stuff started with Jack Roush, went away until Toyota won a championship and now is consistently fast. Did Toyota cherry pick some people? Yes, just like everybody else. Did they pay more? Probably. Isn't that how business is done? You don't walk up to a successful driver, pit guy, or whatever, and say, "Hey, come work for me, I won't pay you more, but we serve a great lunch." Ford, Chevy, and Dodge were pissed because they had another player to contend with, and that was always going to cost them money. This takes me to now.....TRD specifically unleashed a program to attract and retain talent. Ford and Chevy were caught with their pants down. Now, if they want someone TRD attracted, they are going to be the ones to outspend everybody. Who's fault is that? Think I pointed out in another post that it is really interesting how this is a TRD v. Hendrick thing, and not a TRD v. Chevy thing.....Or, JRG/KBM v. Hendrick thing. Additionally, I do believe (probably get the fanboi flames here--that never happens) that Toyota is here to be part of this sport. They are not trying to dominate and wreck it. This isn't part of a master plan. I bet David Wilson is surprised that Chevy and Ford didn't think of investing in faces that would represent their respective brands sooner. Another point needs to be made here.....I am not sure how all of these manufacturer PSA's and/or contracts work, but I am betting that a manufacturer might subsidize PART of what an up and coming driver might get paid. It isn't like Toyota is working independent of its teams and owners. Now, after all of my blah, blah, blah.......I get that some in this industry don't like the direct involvement that TRD has. However, before they bitch, they should analyze the evolution of TRD's involvement. They never intended to be a builder. JGR came to them. They didn't come to JGR. I think that sometimes this is the rub. Toyota is willing to do what is necessary to stay in this sport. Something that other prospective manufacturers should think about before entering.

Revman what is funny about cash, it takes a lot to win championships, and you talk like Toyota does it on pocket change. Since you seem to know about Toyota financials, why don't you post them up for us little people to see.

I think verdict is still out on the Toyota young gun drivers yet. Yes they may be very dominate in the lower series and look like the next racing gods to some of you. But a couple of points to remember. The big teams haven't been spending the money in the lower series like JGR and KBM has. So yes their equipment is far superior to everyone else. So you could but a less skilled driver in those cars and they should be able to out run everyone. Something else I've noticed about the JGR/KBM drivers they tend to crash each other more often trying stupid stuff. I'm not completely sold yet and just as fast at they came, they could be gone too. I would wait before you have all this dominate talk about the future of Toyota drivers till it happens first.

I think verdict is still out on the Toyota young gun drivers yet. Yes they may be very dominate in the lower series and look like the next racing gods to some of you. But a couple of points to remember. The big teams haven't been spending the money in the lower series like JGR and KBM has. So yes their equipment is far superior to everyone else. So you could but a less skilled driver in those cars and they should be able to out run everyone. Something else I've noticed about the JGR/KBM drivers they tend to crash each other more often trying stupid stuff. I'm not completely sold yet and just as fast at they came, they could be gone too. I would wait before you have all this dominate talk about the future of Toyota drivers till it happens first.
I disagree. The car isn't everything.
Time will tell.

I would wait before you have all this dominate talk about the future of Toyota drivers till it happens first.

Any reference to Toyota domination present or future is complete bull****. Period.

Revman what is funny about cash, it takes a lot to win championships, and you talk like Toyota does it on pocket change. Since you seem to know about Toyota financials, why don't you post them up for us little people to see.

I have been consistent in contending that Toyota's investment is consistent with the other manufacturers. Others have been consistent in their Roushian stance that they outspend everybody. That's the paranoia thing. Nobody knows what these guys spend. Nobody even knows the details of driver contracts with the notable exception of our friend @Allenbaba. I will say this.....money spent can look a lot of different ways. You can hand somebody cash, or you can invest in the sport yourself. Toyota invests via TRD. Chevy via Hendrick, etc. Ford via Roush. TRD has a budget just like the other builders.

Back
Top Bottom