Was it me?

S

slick-nick

.. or was Mike Helton lookin' kinda slim today? Congrats on the weight loss!

No, I read somewhere awhile back that he lost a lot of weight over the off season. Looks like it is well over a hundred pounds.

Now all he needs is a Cranio-Rectology and he's all set. It's a simple procedure that removes one's head from one's keister.

Originally posted by EatMorePossum@Apr 19 2004, 12:09 PM
Now all he needs is a Cranio-Rectology and he's all set.  It's a simple procedure that removes one's head from one's keister.
Mike Helton is the right guy for the NASCAR organization.

In the overall scheme of things, he has brought the game to the same level for all players and instituted, among other things, open inspections and trying to keep a equal playing field for all competitors.

The drivers and team owners like and speak highly of him, something doubtful if he were anything other than open and fair. Media reports and interviews with those who have to deal with him give high marks and strong credibility. One consistent comment made by several drivers in a recent interview mentioned Helton has an open door policy and will listen to the concerns of the team owners and drivers.
Helton has made positive changes within the sport in an effort to keep up with the changing atmosphere of NASCAR racing. He does not walk around with his head up his butt, but is visible and in the open, taking in the entire situation in the allotted time, before making a decision. There have been instances where Helton has reviewed and over ruled others, something that never would have happened twenty years ago.

In my opinion, Mike Helton has been good for the sport of NASCAR and although I do not agree with some of the changes within the entire organization, feel Helton has been fair and is on top of things to keep the playing field level for all.

Of course you might not all agree but this is the place to offer your opinions and in doing so, also offer the reason(s) for the opinions.

I think Helton got the Stacker2 sponsorship away from Kenny Wallace... :p

I don't agree, whizzer.

I believe Helton to be little more than the mouthpiece for the France family. A liason so to speak. Sometimes those are also called sacrificial lambs.

He talks out of both sides of his mouth. Different rules apply to different drivers or teams. Does he make those decisions? Maybe, maybe not. But he accepted the position of fall guy, so the heat goes with it.

Slash away. ;)

I congratulate him on the weight loss. He looks a lot fitter. All that weight had to threaten his health.

Personally, I have the utmost respect for the difficult job he has to do. It can't be easy working with all the egos you find in the Cup garage.

Yeah, he does look slimmer and good for him.

I don't blame him for what the organization is doing, at this point it all seems to be Brian France. Feel free to put him on a skewer and roast. ;) I'll bring the vegetables. LOL

Cassie

Originally posted by EatMorePossum@Apr 19 2004, 01:55 PM
I don't agree, whizzer.

I believe Helton to be little more than the mouthpiece for the France family. A liason so to speak. Sometimes those are also called sacrificial lambs.

He talks out of both sides of his mouth. Different rules apply to different drivers or teams. Does he make those decisions? Maybe, maybe not. But he accepted the position of fall guy, so the heat goes with it.

Slash away. ;)
It seems if the drivers and team owners think Helton is fair and willing to listen and act on complaints and problems, he must be doing something right and DIFFERENT than the previous leadership who listened only, then acted according to thier wishes, wants and desires. I do not see that with Helton.

Even reporters are observing Helton is running NASCAR by being fair and even-handed. This is a departure from pre-Helton days.

Although it has not been in print that I know of, I think Helton over ruled Darby's "no penalty call" and assessed a penalty to "Junior" for the deliberate spin at Bristol as called for in the NASCAR rule book.

What decisions has Helton made that were not consistent?? When did he talk out of both sides of his mouth and in reference to what issues?? What rules has Helton applied unevenly and to what teams or drivers ??

Originally posted by Whizzer@Apr 19 2004, 06:29 PM
It seems if the drivers and team owners think Helton is fair and willing to listen and act on complaints and problems, he must be doing something right and DIFFERENT than the previous leadership who listened only, then acted according to thier wishes, wants and desires. I do not see that with Helton.

Even reporters are observing Helton is running NASCAR by being fair and even-handed. This is a departure from pre-Helton days.

Although it has not been in print that I know of, I think Helton over ruled Darby's "no penalty call" and assessed a penalty to "Junior" for the deliberate spin at Bristol as called for in the NASCAR rule book.

The drivers know which side of the bread is buttered. It would take a fool (like Spencer or Sauter) to go public with any complaint or notion they might have. We the fans only know part of the story. On camera, most drivers toe the party line, I suspect out of fear. Fear of sponsor retalliation, fear of not getting that 2mph break on pit road speeds...any number of things.

Ditto reporters. They are made quite aware of where the money flows from. Hack off the wrong people, and you might find yourself covering Major League Soccer next month.

To make the entire package a success, everyone has to at least appear to be on board the same ship. Call it politics, intimidation, blackmail, good business sense, whatever floats your boat. We all know it goes on. Hell, Jeff Burton's story has changed half a dozen times since all the sweeping changes were announced.

As to Helton over ruling anything, I have my own ideas on what happened there. I'll keep it to myself as Oliver Stone is tired of getting phone calls about me, but I will say this: They had no choice but to do what they didn't want or intend to do.

As to talking out of both sides of his mouth...what about every time they declare themselves to be concerned about what the fans want? The overwhelming outcry from fandom was to keep their mitts off the points system, or at very least make minor changes. The fans did not want Labor Day moved by an almost 8 to 1 margin. Can't say you're fan friendly and then do stuff like that. As I have stated before, Helton is merely the mouthpiece for the France family, so maybe he doesn't deserve all the criticism he gets. But the QB takes the blame for the interception even if his receiver was in the wrong place. And Helton is the designated fall guy. He's paid well to do what he does, and his loyalty to the Frances is beyond reproach. We all know the Frances are liars...or at least anyone who remembers being spoonfed that Tim Richmond had the flu knows it. I know this predates Helton, but it don't predate the people who sign his paychecks.

Nice debate by the way. Nice change of pace from the norm. :cheers:

The drivers know which side of the bread is buttered.
Ditto reporters.
To make the entire package a success, everyone has to at least appear to be on board the same ship. Call it politics, intimidation, blackmail, good business sense, whatever floats your boat. We all know it goes on. .......................................................................... They had no choice but to do what they didn't want or intend to do.
As to talking out of both sides of his mouth...what about every time they declare themselves to be concerned about what the fans want? The overwhelming outcry from fandom was to keep their mitts off the points system, or at very least make minor changes. The fans did not want Labor Day moved by an almost 8 to 1 margin. Can't say you're fan friendly and then do stuff like that.
[/QUOTE]
You are correct with the allegory of teams, drivers and reporters not biting the hand that feeds them. Historically, there are always tidbits that escape the bondage of the iron fist. They begin with a rumor and multiply to the point they can no longer be ignored until the true story evolves. After three years of rule by Helton the "iron fist" mentality does not seem to be the norm and NASCAR has improved when it comes to a more open and fair policy. It is still not 100%, but it sure as hell is a lot better under the tutlage of Helton than it was under Nelson or Beatty.

How involved should fans get ???? In MLB, NHL, NFL, PGA, LPGA, or even (gasp) WFW, absolutely no where in the history of professional sports do the fans make decisions over the governing body. It is a simple fact of life.

In other sports, fans screamed bloody murder with the advent of a designated hitter, three point shot, or any number of changes to any given pro sport. These changes were not made through pressure from the fans. They were made as business decisions by the governing body.

And tradition ??? Times are changing. Not much any of us can do as we all seem to want our personal agenda. There have been a ton of changes in my 67 years and most I do not agree with for social, economic, moral or just plain "tradition, it is the way it has always been" , reasons.
No logic, just tradition. These changes are a sign of the times, it is the way things are in this modern era, whether as individuals, we chose to accept the changes or not.

NASCAR is a business just as the other listed pro sports. They are here to make money and provide entertainment. When they change the rules it is for greater financial reward and in knowing which hand NOT TO BITE.

In the HELTON reign, he has learned and in the process, leveled the playing field by becoming more accomodating to ALL, including sponsors supplying a multimillion dollar investment and looking for a return on that investment. In order to keep thses "investors" content, it must be done without them feeling there is favortism for a chosen few. Good business.

And the sport keeps growing. :cheers:

Originally posted by Whizzer@Apr 20 2004, 09:00 AM
How involved should fans get ???? In MLB, NHL, NFL, PGA, LPGA, or even (gasp) WFW, absolutely no where in the history of professional sports do the fans make decisions over the governing body. It is a simple fact of life.

In other sports, fans screamed bloody murder with the advent of a designated hitter, three point shot, or any number of changes to any given pro sport. These changes were not made through pressure from the fans. They were made as business decisions by the governing body.
Very valid points.

My biggest beef is the way NASCAR wants to market its product as fan friendly, family friendly, or the like all the time. Take for instance the ban on hard liquor brands and tobacco as sponsors. They tout that up as taking a stand for family entertainment. OK, no problem with that. But I can get just as bombed on beer as I can on liquor. Trust me on that one. ;) Why the double standard?

NASCAR continues to sell its product in part based on the interaction between its stars and its fans. It's on almost every commercial...fans see drivers doing normal things, like Biffle eating at Subway, Ward getting up in the morning (and thank God for that towel rack by the way), Newman driving home waving at all his neighbors, Mikey flippin burgers on his grill by the pool, which is what I wish he'd been doing for the past 20 years. They stand in front of cameras and announce how they do this for the fans and that for the fans. Then when the fans tell them in a loud voice what they really want, they smile and start adding zeros to the end of all thir numbers and do whatever the heck they feel like doing anyway.

I have no problem with NASCAR as an organization making money. I have no problem with them tooting their own horn on a particular topic. There is a way to do both at the same time, but this ain't it.

Back
Top Bottom