Well they did it

B

bowtie

Driver Dale Earnhardt Jr. was penalized with a loss of 25 championship driver points, a $10,000 fine and probation until June 1 for his actions during Sunday’s NASCAR Nextel Cup Series race at Bristol (Tenn.) Motor Speedway, NASCAR officials announced Wednesday.
The penalty also will extend to the team as Dale Earnhardt Inc. will lose 25 championship owner points for the actions of its driver.

Earnhardt Jr., driver of the No. 8 Chevrolet, was penalized for intentionally causing a caution condition during the race and as a result was in violation of Section 12-4-A (Actions detrimental to stock car racing) and 12-4-N (Any driver who, in the judgment of NASCAR officials, intentionally causes or attempts to cause a caution condition by stopping or spinning out or any other action) of the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series Rule Book.

“The driver of the No. 8 car was quite vocal in admitting he intentionally spun out his car to cause a caution condition on the track, which is clearly prohibited in the NASCAR Rule Book,” NASCAR President Mike Helton said. ” We have several rules in our Rule Book that have been in place for quite some time to prevent someone from altering the outcome of an event. This was a clear cut case of that. Activity such as this will not be tolerated. We will always react to protect the integrity of our sport.”

Earnhardt Jr.’s championship points total will be adjusted to 832 points as a result of the penalty, but he will still maintain third in the championship standings. DEI also will be adjusted to 832 points with the 25-point penalty and remain third in the owners’ championship

Originally posted by steveluvs3@Mar 31 2004, 05:22 PM
why did'nt they take points away from jamie or tony?
Wel, Jamie's incident occured after the race and had no affect on the outcome. Stewart and Wimmer were both held for a lap for there little altercation.

Jr's antics had a direct effect on the out come of the race. He would surely have finsihed several spots lower and he could easily have caused a wreck had something gone wrong with his move. Of course the important part of this equation was his admitting it, not only to his crew but to reporters afterwards. Precedent has already been set with Buschs fine last year the the all-star race (had it occurred in a points race I'm sure he too would have been docked in that matter).

Yepperz..............Well as much as I like JR, that's what ya get for running your mouth...!

Originally posted by TexasRaceLady@Mar 31 2004, 04:49 PM
PDR, you spoke the truth on that. If he'd kept his mouth shut, no one would ever have known.
exactly guys, keep your mouth shut. But with the loss of points and money he is probably still ahead of where he would have been had he pitted under green.

I have no problem with the fine or points. I hope this is a start to stop the jr. conspiracy theorists.

It was the right thing for Nascar to do but it did come as a surprise to me. :cheers:

I know he admitted to Spinning out on Purpose, but did he do it on a TV interview? or was it over his Radio? I can't remember.

It was said as both a radio interview and possibly a TV interview, as well as communication with the team.

Originally posted by Jmac42VaFan@Mar 31 2004, 05:17 PM
I know he admitted to Spinning out on Purpose, but did he do it on a TV interview? or was it over his Radio? I can't remember.
Both. And bro, like I said before what he did was effect the outcome of the race. Thats a no no.

Looks like a NASCAR official has finally had a moment of sanity.
Don't expect it to last too long. :rolleyes:

Well im glad to see they're enforcing the rules, but if he hadn't said ti publically, then he wouldn't have been fined and the rumors of nascar "fixing" the race would be flying even more then right now

Originally posted by N2racin88+Mar 31 2004, 06:24 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (N2racin88 @ Mar 31 2004, 06:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Jmac42VaFan@Mar 31 2004, 05:17 PM
Both. And bro, like I said before what he did was effect the outcome of the race. Thats a no no. [/b][/quote]
I don't disagree with you. I think its a no no too. But I saw where DW was talking about a drivers Radio. I figured that since this fine came out, Dw and others would be talking about a drivers radio should be private.

Ya know, I was thinking when he spun...boy that's sure gonna help him...

...wonder if it was on purpose....

If he would have kept his trap shut he would have pulled it off!

Doh! :eek:

Originally posted by N2racin88+Mar 31 2004, 06:24 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (N2racin88 @ Mar 31 2004, 06:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Jmac42VaFan@Mar 31 2004, 05:17 PM
Both. And bro, like I said before what he did was effect the outcome of the race. Thats a no no. [/b][/quote]
yeah I see the point, I just can't believe he would come out and say he did it on purpose. On a different note, congrats on micheal's grades, hell who knows with a little hard work he'll out do all of us. :cheers:

:cheers: :cheers: Nice to see Nascar do the right thing for a change----after first guaging public opinion to see which way to go. The bunch of weak- kneed campfire girls!(with no offense meant towards the campfire girls, of course.)

Originally posted by Dinoforthe3@Mar 31 2004, 03:02 PM
I have no problem with the fine or points. I hope this is a start to stop the jr. conspiracy theorists.
Obviously, that was a pipe dream!! :D

And since I've said it on a couple other threads, I'll say again here.............Jr deserved the fine, the points reduction, and the probation.

But I ain't gonna stop rooting for him!! :bounce: :cheers: :cheers:

I can't fault Jr for at least trying, but as others have said...keep your mouth shut!
What he did was clearly against the rules and others have been fined for less.

If you ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin'

But, if you cheat and get caught, you deserve the penalties that come along with it. I agree that he should have been fined and had the points taken away. It is impossible to know how much his caution helped him in the finishing order, but I'm sure he gained more than 25 points with that move. JMO

Well, let me ask one honest question---being a conspiracy nut and all---if it was as cut and dry and simple as Helton and co. now see it to be, why did they wait so long to determine what would be done??Did they just now manage to look it up in the rule book when boB and others on here found it a couple of days ago? Or did they simply want to get a feel for fan reaction before deciding how to act? Why wait until wednesday afternoon? I thought Tuesday was typically the day penalties were handed down? Just a few questions .

just goes to show you, the man should've kept his darned mouth shut. If he got away with it, then he is the man, but to admit that you did it, WHY?! Thats like stealing an X-Box, two twinkies and a cash register and then admitting you did it to the security guard.

Clark, I've often seen delays 'til Wed to announce penalties, altho I can't cite specifics.

I stand corrected then, kat. :) I always thought it was Tuesday but I have been mistaken in the past. :p

Thanks for clearing it up. :cheers:

Sometimes is Tuesday, sometimes it Wednesday. Seems it's more like Wednesdays the last few years. I don't see a delay. But I'm not on the conspiracy train. :)

Originally posted by DE_Wrangler_2@Apr 1 2004, 01:51 AM
Sometimes is Tuesday, sometimes it Wednesday. Seems it's more like Wednesdays the last few years. I don't see a delay. But I'm not on the conspiracy train. :)
Well come on aboard DE, there is always room for one more :p

But I ain't gonna stop rooting for him!!

Well, I'm glad to hear it, because if you did stop, I'd lose all respect for ya! :lol:
(From one who feel's like she's spent a lifetime standing by her driver through thick and thin!)

"But I'm not on the conspiracy train."

If every expression of opinion critical of the sanctioning body was belittled in such a way towards you---you might well want to be the engineer Wrangler.

It's Orwellian double speak to say every opinion that may be of a negative view of an obviously inept sanctioning body is a 'conspiracy' and lately it seems increasingly like it is the only crutch the pro/Nascar group has.

Maybe it is getting old for the PRO-NAS forces to hear their poster boy refered to as 'the chosen one'...but it is equally tiresome for the percentage of individuals who sometimes disagree with the sanctioning body refered to as 'conspiracy' theorist.

I don't know about area 51, don't give a blue-damn about who shot Kennedy, not a fan of the movie 'Conspiracy Theory' especially:

BUT SUSPICIOUS AND BIASED BEHAVIOR from the precious sanctioning body does still exist. Maybe Whizzer was right and it is less now than it once was----but 'less' does not equate to non-existance.

To say otherwise does not make one a clear minded thinker that has risen above the poor huddled masses of the 'theorist'---it makes one naive. As paying fans and supporters of this sport each of us has a right to question the actions of the sanctioning body. Every race I have attended gives me that right, every piece of nascar merchandise I have bought gives me that right.

And to question what any school kid could see was waffling by the sanctioning body makes a guy a conspirator? To see a yellow line in the same location as everyone else on the planet makes one a conspirator? Geeez. JUNIOR did this, not any of us. JUNIOR was correctly penalized for this. THIS time. But that does not and can not erase past favoritism or bias shown.

The frank truth isn't that the rest of us are conspirators at all----the truth is some of you are fans of the guy benifitting from the bias.

Thats it, off the soap box---you guys are still my buddies and I love ya'll to death. But damn, consider the big picture: If you guys were fans of any other driver you could see the same things the rest of us do.

Thanks 4X. I regret sounding so impulsive....but it just gets a little lame. Critisizing a sanctioning body is one thing, I feel---but categorizing an entire segment of the racing fan population is another .

Does Jimmy Spencer count as any other guy? :D

Sorry, I still don't see a conspiracy. Didn't see it with Jeffy either. Call me naive............I just don't see your way. Ain't gonna change my mind that quickly either!! :cheers:

You seem to be a great guy Wrangler(even for a Spencer fan) so here's a cheer in return! :cheers: :p

p.s: It still isn't a conspiracy----it's still reality. :p

Back
Top Bottom