What age is to young to race?

Thegroundpounder99

Bull in a China Shop
Here's an article that's in the Tampa Bay Times today. It's about a 12 year old boy who remains in critical condition after a racing accident at Auberndale Speedway Saturday night which is outside of Lakeland Fl. He was racing in a Kid's Race Club event when he hit the wall head on. Obviously it goes without saying we all hope this young man recovers quickly a d fully. So, what age is to young to race?

Here's the link to the article...http://www.tampabay.com/news/public...sh-critically-injures-12-year-old-boy/1231316

Really wishing the best for this 12 year old, a really sad story. Also wishing the best for the parents too, I hope the media does not beat them up as they endure this nightmare.

Sad indeed. Yeah, lets hope some turd doesn't use this unfortunate accident to make a point.

The thread titled question is a good one.

I just can't think of a set rule. You can't be casual but you have to nurture the spirit as well as the body. I would also think little league football, and hitting fast baseballs is dangerous too.

Drawing lines is tough and try as you may sometimes matters can get out of hand very quickly. To try and answer the question I wouldn't let a child of mine under 16 run on any tracks with poorly configured walls. I am talking about areas like the gates into the track, where a sliding car can hit at severe angles.
50 mph for a teen is OK, but but I wouldn't allow a pre teen to race at that speed.

But it is so subjective, a lot depends on the way a kid handles pressure, even more than intelligence. I grew up with a lot of kids that were smarter, but they couldn't manage speed very well, some natural instincts are involved.

Personally I wish parents would just let them be children with all sports and have fun. And forget the Jeff Gordon model until their approaching 15 or 16 years old, or being the next big ball player. They can still learn to race during those teen years, as well as a HS football player can start trying to earn a scholarship.
After all the odds are that few will make it, while a good overall education will more than likely will lead to greater success..

50 mph for a teen is OK, but but I wouldn't allow a pre teen to race at that speed

So a 12 year old can't go 50, but a 13 year old can?

I'm pretty sure kids race gocarts even earlier than that. He77, I think kids can run jr dragsters starting when they are 8, in the 12.90 class.

There are so many worms in this can that I dont feel comfortable trying to make up my mind how to open it. In other words this is a serious question that has so many answers that every time I attempt to write something it just doesnt seem good enough.

So a 12 year old can't go 50, but a 13 year old can?

I'm pretty sure kids race gocarts even earlier than that. He77, I think kids can run jr dragsters starting when they are 8, in the 12.90 class.

I wasnt trying to be absolute but I guess I was...

It is subjective and a parents call. A lot depends on the kid.

There are so many worms in this can that I dont feel comfortable trying to make up my mind how to open it. In other words this is a serious question that has so many answers that every time I attempt to write something it just doesnt seem good enough.
I agree ,it's a tough one . This past weekend , my 12 yr old grandson and I went on a 6 hr atv rally cross some rough country , he driving his 200cc Honda atv. He also has a 100cc dirtbike . I know he is a responsible kid , but I still worry about him . Course I worry when he is mountain biking and skateboarding too. Hockey and football are also dangerous . If he wanted to race go carts , I would help him .
On the other hand I don't want to watch 17yr olds in Nascar , have no interest in watching them. If I had my say I would keep them out of the major series' till age 20.

It sure is a expensive sport. I guess it's aboutincome and skill (like Matthew said) more so then age.

I agree ,it's a tough one . This past weekend , my 12 yr old grandson and I went on a 6 hr atv rally cross some rough country , he driving his 200cc Honda atv. He also has a 100cc dirtbike . I know he is a responsible kid , but I still worry about him . Course I worry when he is mountain biking and skateboarding too. Hockey and football are also dangerous . If he wanted to race go carts , I would help him .
On the other hand I don't want to watch 17yr olds in Nascar , have no interest in watching them. If I had my say I would keep them out of the major series' till age 20.

This is the closest post to what I was trying to say. Good post.

Sadly, young Tyler Morr has passed away. My thoughts are with his family.

Damn thats sad to hear. I have'nt been able to find out anything about the incedent other than whats posted. I hope the media dosent turn this into a witch hunt for children racing.

Let's hope Nancy Grace doesn't get wind of this. She will wanna bring the entire sport of auto racing down. Just my opinion but 12 is far too young to be racing cars.

Tragic.
I am sad for Tyler nothing is as upsetting as the death of a child, they are all beautiful and they shouldn't have to suffer. God bless them all, everyone of them.I don't care much for seeing grown men cry, but when it comes to children dying and hurting I am a wuss, I just try to do it in private while the wife will not see me, but it is no shame to feel for the little ones.

I ain't much when it comes to being spiritual. I should be I am just not that strong. But my heart breaks for the parents I can't imagine the hell they are surely enduring and the one they will face for the remainder of their lives. Perhaps their fate is worse than the child.
Unfortunately some high minded low life somewhere will ridicule them, and they will also face the inner voice of some self doubts. I have tried to be a good dad myself but you see your human side raising one, did I handle this or that the right way, we do our best but we are still human.

You try to keep them safe for today and tomorrow, but their still boys that are on their way to manhood and you have to get them ready. So you have to let them have a little controlled risk, because you do want them to grow up and be strong as men. Able to look the woman of their future life in the eye, and face the world the same way with confidence, because a man needs that skill and his future family will also benefit.

So you nurture the dreams of a young one and you allow him to take some risk, a good bird builds the nest and lets the little one enjoy the comforts, but he knows theres a time to let the young fly. To many restrictions can have it's own dangers. You have to roll and move with nature rather than fight it, because being too risky or too cautious are both bad things.

I am sure they just wanted the best for Tyler, and they were there trying to help him have the best that life has to offer, it is hard to imagine that this family activity could have went so wrong. The deepest sympathies I can feel for them even as complete strangers, and it is all I can and do or offer.

As I said above I am not very spiritual but I have already prayed for the parents, they surely need them, this is most cruel fate and life just ain't fair.
As for any high minded ridiculers, I just wish I could spit on them, they are most worthy, the parents don't need them and the garbage, it is tough enough already.

RIP, and Live in Peace for the survivors.

Sometimes bad stuff just happens. No use placing blame. Just try to learn from it and move on.

I feel really bad for the family. The only thing that will help heal their wounds is time but I suspect some wounds will never heal completely.

Tragic.
I am sad for Tyler nothing is as upsetting as the death of a child, they are all beautiful and they shouldn't have to suffer. God bless them all, everyone of them.I don't care much for seeing grown men cry, but when it comes to children dying and hurting I am a wuss, I just try to do it in private while the wife will not see me, but it is no shame to feel for the little ones.

I ain't much when it comes to being spiritual. I should be I am just not that strong. But my heart breaks for the parents I can't imagine the hell they are surely enduring and the one they will face for the remainder of their lives. Perhaps their fate is worse than the child.
Unfortunately some high minded low life somewhere will ridicule them, and they will also face the inner voice of some self doubts. I have tried to be a good dad myself but you see your human side raising one, did I handle this or that the right way, we do our best but we are still human.

You try to keep them safe for today and tomorrow, but their still boys that are on their way to manhood and you have to get them ready. So you have to let them have a little controlled risk, because you do want them to grow up and be strong as men. Able to look the woman of their future life in the eye, and face the world the same way with confidence, because a man needs that skill and his future family will also benefit.

So you nurture the dreams of a young one and you allow him to take some risk, a good bird builds the nest and lets the little one enjoy the comforts, but he knows theres a time to let the young fly. To many restrictions can have it's own dangers. You have to roll and move with nature rather than fight it, because being too risky or too cautious are both bad things.

I am sure they just wanted the best for Tyler, and they were there trying to help him have the best that life has to offer, it is hard to imagine that this family activity could have went so wrong. The deepest sympathies I can feel them even as complete strangers is all I can and do offer.

As I said above I am not very spiritual but I have already prayed for the parents, they surely need them, this is most cruel fate and life just ain't fair.
As for any high minded ridiculers, I just wish I could spit on them, they are most worthy, the parents don't need them and the garbage, it is tough enough already.

RIP, and Live in Peace for the survivors.

Beautiful post Greg. I'm not of the spiritual type myself either, but I pray for the parents of this boy and that they somehow can find some comfort in this situation.

Back
Top Bottom