What is the craziest thing you have ever seen or heard done at a NASCAR race?

Saw guys rolling blunts at a cold Atlanta spring race when few people were in the old Weaver grandstand. When they smoked them, it didn't take the cops long to see where the smell was coming from.

Everybody in the 4 numbered stands around me teased me by standing up during a long green flag run after I was screaming if Jeff Gordon had enough fuel.

Early one Friday afternoon at Darlington, Pearson Tower in turn 4, Cup first practice is about to start. I glance to my left and there's a dad-gum opossum trotting along the top of the retaining wall. He gets right in front of my section, hangs a left, and starts up the catch fence! He reaches the top of the chain link and decides he can do better. He takes another hard left, mountaineers along the top of the fence for 8 or 10 feet, and reached one of the fence poles. The pole extends for another 3 or 4 feet beyond where the chain link ends, so he decides that's the place to be and heads out to the end of the pole. Now he's balanced 3 or 4 feet from the chain link, on a 3" round steel pipe, HANGING 40 FEET OVER TURN 4 AND THE GREEN FLAG WAVES TO START PRACTICE.

The first cars pass under him at around 170 and his fur just slicks back in the jet stream. Every three or four laps he changes position and everyone in Pearson Tower stops breathing until he settles back down. After ten minutes, a golf cart full of track official-looking folks pulls up, pointing and staring and generally conducting themselves as if they've been asked to dismantle an armed nuclear weapon. The darnedest part of the whole show is that AT NO TIME DOES PRACTICE STOP. No red, no black, no yellow. Pogo just hangs out in the breeze for 45 minutes, figuring out who to put on his fantasy team and giving the #24 the finger.

When practice finishes, another cart pulls up with a guy in an 'Animal Control' vest. He pulls out one of those 5' animal grabbers (like your Grandpa uses to pick up things he drops, but on steroids), climbs up the fence, and gets a grip around Pogo's neck. It takes him a good 15 minutes to get the critter down because it's keeps getting a fresh grip on every link in the fence. Once on solid land, he's unceremoniously dropped in a burlap sack (the 'possum, not the wildlife catcher). I like to think he was dumped back in the swampy area between the track and the main parking area, where he likely came from.

You know he had to have been an Earnhardt fan.

One year at Bristol some guys thought it would be cool to race a Lincoln Town Car down the side of one of the bumpy hills in one of the camp grounds. Also at Bristol there were some good ol boys who were so drunk they fell off the bridge going over the creek that leads into the track. It wasn't a long drop but they rocks and stones were jagged.

I have seen a ton of stuff at MIS over the years and a lot of it can't be repeated publicly.

Saw guys rolling blunts at a cold Atlanta spring race when few people were in the old Weaver grandstand. When they smoked them, it didn't take the cops long to see where the smell was coming from.
I wonder if that was the same year the busted a couple guys while tailgaiting before the race behind the Weaver grandstand. We were there for that!

At the 2009 Texas race I made a bet that Busch would sweep the weekend in the fall with another fan. Kyle led the most laps and dominated but ran out of fuel but Kurt Busch ended up winning and I won the bet on a technicality :D

2 things stand out --- both happened at Talladega --- enough said

First one was rather tame --- guy driving through one of the camping areas in a pickup. Had a wood fire going in the bed of the pickup. NOT
in a container, mind you --- just wood laying in the bed of the pickup, blazing away.
Second, 8 AM, guy cooking breakfast at the grill, drinking a beer, wearing an apron and nothing else. Well, almost nothing else --- under
the apron he had a large rubber "man part" hanging down. He lifted the apron and waved "good morning" at us. Have to protect the "family jewels" somehow, I guess. :D

Richmond several years ago, 30 minutes before the green flag. We're on our way through the parking lot to the gates. Four or five totally polluted individuals are rocking their car back and forth. They're trying to wake up their buddy. He's in the car, asleep / passed out / comatose / dead, with the doors locked, the windows up ...

and the tickets on the dashboard.

Back in the mid eighties at GPS a guy in the infield decided it was time to go home. So he pulled out on to the track on his Harley to ride around to the third turn gate.
This happened during the middle of a late model race, while the race was under the green flag.

my grandaddy used to work on the cleanup crews that picked up trash from the walkin area between the front seats and the fence. it was mostly black folks that did it and they got paid plus got to keep the alluninum or tin cans they collected .sometime it was bottles if they could catch em before they broke. at some tracks when i got old enough to help i seen plenty of folks that were using the workers as targets.

Two things come to mind. The guy at Watkins Glen that tried to ask Matt Kenseth for an autograph during a red flag, and the guy a couple years ago that climbed the fence at Richmond.

my grandaddy used to work on the cleanup crews that picked up trash from the walkin area between the front seats and the fence. it was mostly black folks that did it and they got paid plus got to keep the alluninum or tin cans they collected .sometime it was bottles if they could catch em before they broke. at some tracks when i got old enough to help i seen plenty of folks that were using the workers as targets.
Rufus, welcome to Racing Forums.

I've heard of golfers at driving ranges aiming at the cart that picks up the balls.

In high school, one of my friends made a deal with a drive-in theater operator. We could get in free for an 'All 5 (Planet of the) Apes Movies' extravaganza and all we had to do was pick up the lot afterward. The ... materials ... were bad enough, but after having been up all night? It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Long ago, when Richmond was a half mile with a board fence around it. Some guys where climbing the fence. One reached over to pull hisownself up and grabbed a handful of hornets nest.

I was six or seven at the time. I heard words I'd never heard before.........

At North Wilkesboro Speedway several years ago the pace car spun out on a restart and bout got creamed, that was before Brett Bodeen landed the pace car job.

Back
Top Bottom