What makes you like your driver?

lisa

Kurt Busch fan
Might seem like a silly question but I'm asking it anyway.

Kurt is a hella driver, he is so talented. How many drivers could go to Indy cars with no experience and come out 6th, not to mention he is a great stock car driver.

He's also well versed, he talks well in front of the camera. I love that. He also cares about his fans. I love that too. He's got a passion for racing and has learned how to control that passion.

The only thing he needs to work on is his love of blondes, I'm a redhead now. :D

What do you love about your driver.

I started liking Joey mostly bc he was the new guy when I was a new fan and replaced my dads driver..

That being said..Id say what I like about him most is probably the fact that he's always smiling.. He's a pretty smart kid and imo wise beyond his years. His determination for constant improvement and the credit he gives his team for his success.

I think he's been very humbled throughout his career and it has made him a better driver.

I gotta tell ya its great to finally see him running so well now... I give the credit to the entire penske organization. Its been put together so well. Brad and Joey seem to work better than any teammates I've ever seen and the results are there.

For me, Its how she is so positive...giving her crew encouragement...in interviews encouraging girls to be confident...and that she is smiling.
Shes accessible. She tries soo hard shes not out there to just run and just to be a woman in a mans world...she wants to win.

Shes motivated, driven.

Great idea for a thread.

I liked Dale Earnhardt, Sr. He died. Kevin Harvick started driving his car. I started cheering for Kevin Harvick.

The vast majority of Dale Sr fans seemed to emigrate to Dale Jr. I like Jr too (though I like making fun of his superfans), Harvick just appealed to me more, personally.

Come on, Atlanta 2001, beating the #24 by .006 seconds three races after #3 was killed? That was awesome. You know it, I know it.

A few other guys I like: Matt Kenseth (he grew up about 30 miles from where I did and saw him race at Slinger, Kaukuna and Lake Geneva as a kid), Paul Menard (also from Wisconsin, despite being a silver spoon spent a lot of time in local Wisconsin late model series), Denny Hamlin (Denny time! Any questions?), Tony Stewart (former IndyCar champ, general badass, soda cookies, he's the closest we're going to get to a modern AJ Foyt), Brad K (Awesome championship run, before 2013 didn't seem to bull**** around, his bitching has increased lately so he is under review of my fanship).

I am from Missouri originally so I pull for Edwards and McMurray. My wife decided to follow Brad on Twitter on my phone and I have warmed up to him since. Funny about Brad is I hated him with the Edwards thing a few years ago and now my he is by farrrr my 5 year old's favorite driver. I also like Harvick because he is a wrestler and I coach wrestling. Who does not like Jr., he seems pretty humble on Twitter as well.

Not really sure, I like most drivers that have a bit of attidude, have a passion for the sport.. etc. Its not like defined. I do like families as well but sometimes that doesn't work out.. looking at you, Steven Wallace.

A mixture of talent, intelligence, attitude, and personality.

I started liking Gordon back when he was racing in the (then) BGN series because he was an oddity being so young. Back then it wasn't the norm to see such a young driver in the upper series of nascar. He reminded me a lot of Rob Moroso, another youngster that preceded Gordon.

I was a DW fan at the time, and his career was winding down so it was just natural for me to start pulling for kid Gordon. Then after a couple years Gordon blew up and started dominating the Cup series, so that was pretty cool.

What has made me continue being a Gordon fan is because he is a class act.

Kyle Larson reminds me a lot of Gordon in the early stages of his career, execept Larson seems to be much better than Gordon was at the same point in their Cup careers.

Gordon's career is winding down, so..... :)

I've mentioned most of this on here before.

My dad was always a Ford guy, so naturally I was one too. When Dale Jr. started out in Cup, I was indifferent to him. All I knew was that I couldn't stand his father and he drove a Chevy. When Sr. passed in 2001 and Junior's fanbase exploded, he started to annoy me a little. I felt like he wasn't that great of a driver, and people were only cheering for him because his father had died.

Fast forward to March of 2011. I had just lost my father two months earlier. I liked Jamie McMurray but that was glorified front running because he had won the Daytona 500 (and then he went on to win at Indy and the fall race at Charlotte), and when he wasn't running well, I didn't really care about him. I wanted to find a true favorite driver that I would want to cheer for regardless of where he was in the field. One afternoon when I came home from work, the race at Vegas was on. I remember looking through the ticker and seeing that Junior was running solidly in the top 10. I was shocked to see him running that well and I got really excited. He finished 8th that day. I liked the pairing of him and Steve Letarte from the beginning, because I felt like they were two guys that had been written off by everybody else but would come together and produce positive results.

Over the next few weeks, Junior continued to run pretty well, he almost won Martinsville, and then came the Coke 600. I was cheering harder for him when he took off on that last restart than I had cheered for anyone in a very long time. Of course, he ran out of gas at the end and lost it to Harvick, but even though it was a heartbreaker for him, I remember feeling very positive that night. I knew I had found my new favorite driver.

I came to like Junior because I feel like I can relate to him somewhat, in some small way. We both lost our fathers at pretty much the same age (he was 26 and I was 25). We've both had to deal with the family nonsense that usually accompanies such a tragedy. Both of our fathers were very good at their jobs and had earned the respect and admiration of their peers. (Okay, so Dale Sr. was a wee bit more famous than my dad. LOL.) We've both had to deal with trying to live up to the often ridiculous expectations that some people have set for us, people that expect us to be every bit as great as our fathers were. I feel like Dale Jr. has taken it all in stride and doesn't let any of that faze him. He just comes across as an authentic, regular dude that happens to drive a race car for a living. He's his own man, and I really respect that.

I like Kyle because he doesn't give a **** about what anybody thinks. He is an inspiration and a role model for me in a kiss ass boy wonder world. I am 100% ****** serious here. In addition to that, he hates losing. If I am going to spend my hard earned dollars on a driver's swag, I want him to give a ****. Kyle leaves no doubt. I about went **** house today when Jr. was pouting about his qualifying effort, and the media sells that as guts and determination when if Kyle acts like that he's a ****** baby. It's so ****** old.

Last edited:
I like Kyle because he doesn't give a **** about what anybody thinks. He is an inspiration and a role model for me in a kiss ass boy wonder world. I am 100% ******* serious here. In addition to that, he hates losing. If I am going to spend my hard earned dollars on a driver's swag, I want him to give a ****. Kyle leaves no doubt. I about went **** house today when Jr. was pouting about his qualifying effort, and the media sells that as guts and determination when if Kyle acts like that he's a ******* baby. It's so ******* old.

I'm not a Kyle Busch fan, but the crybaby stuff is so very old. I've noticed that, if he happens to crash or have a mechanical issue, he always goes to his hauler and changes out of his uniform before doing any interviews. Yet without fail, TV always shows a camera stalking him as he walks through the garage immediately afterwards, which gives the appearance that he's walking away from the reporters and isn't going to do it. But, you know, narrative.

I'm not a Kyle Busch fan, but the crybaby stuff is so very old. I've noticed that, if he happens to crash or have a mechanical issue, he always goes to his hauler and changes out of his uniform before doing any interviews. Yet without fail, TV always shows a camera stalking him as he walks through the garage immediately afterwards, which gives the appearance that he's walking away from the reporters and isn't going to do it. But, you know, narrative.

Well, it is ESPN, the sports version of TMZ :espnsux:

I like all the drivers really, but today the old natural selection equation isn't there to sort out those that wouldn't normally be on the track. The sport needs all those different personalities clashing on the track to keep it interesting.

That same crybaby stuff on Junior is called guts and determination.

I started pulling for Harvick after the death of Dale Sr. I still pull for him but I dont always agree with with all he sez and does. I do think he is a great talent, who still would benefit from a little more maturity.

I like Kenseth because he is one of the most old school type of drivers in our era. Quite soft spoken very unpretentious, and he brings his A game every week. If he drove a Chevy he would absolutely be my favorite.

I also pull for Johnson, I like the envy he attracts. I love watching him out do Gordon all SIX times the most.
I like Clint for related reasons.
I like Joey for being a thorn in Dennys side.
I also like knowing he beats Tony routinely now.

I like Larson because he has more talent than Dillion, and does not strive to look like a rugged midget in a cowboy hat.

Note: I used to like Brad and Tony more. Great drivers that I enjoyed in previous years, their egos have just became intolerable.

I started watching NASCAR is about 1998. I was 8 at the time, and quite honestly no one else in my family likes or ever liked NASCAR so I had no "oh my father liked him or my uncle liked him so I picked him." So I loved the paint scheme, he was obviously always running up front and at that time it seemed like a lot of people hated him. He was rivals with Dale Sr. and then eventually became big rivals with Tony Stewart for a while both of whom had huge fanbases who hated Gordon and I just loved that whole rivalry stuff.

Now a days, I love Jeff Gordon. He's such a nice guy, he is well spoken, he's almost always positive and the thing I like about him the most? He's as loyal as they get. His guys are his guys whether performing or not. He'll go to war for Rick Hendrick if needed. And that isn't something you see as often today as you used to. I love it.

I'm really at a cross roads, thinking about who I would root for when Jeff hangs up his steering wheel. I have such a fascination with the guy and I'm not quite sure I'm going to be able to pick a favorite so easily. It will be interesting.

Obviously you have a respect for the talent.

Aside from that, I always get a kick out of his mannerism's in the car. Most great drivers like JJ or Brad K are up on the wheel wrestling with it. He (18) basically drives like he's at the dentist getting a cleaning, all the while making it look too easy.

I was a Bobby Labonte fan for years and years, but obviously his time was winding down and it was time to move on. I have watched Larson on the shortracks out here in Norther, Ca and his talent is too obvious to look past. He has a quiet confidence about him and a sly arrogance at the same time. He is fearless and learning on a whim.

Back
Top Bottom