What rules?

Nascar spends too much time navel gazing and wondering what it needs to do to make it's fans happy . No wonder they look silly , flip flopping back and forth . You are the governing body ...govern . It is not humanly possible to make sports fans happy .

I think NASCAR has shown flexibility, they make rules to contain the grey areas that teams exploit. Sometimes the rules can get in the way of fairness. Another thread here talks about how the small the violation is and NASCAR seems to want to re-evaluate the situation.

An example of how inflexible rules work in auto racing is F1. A number of years ago some cars had a tire issue at the US Grand Prix. Rather than make a change to run the race they stuck to their rules and several teams refused to run. It ruined the race.

Rather than make a change to run the race they stuck to their rules and several teams refused to run. It ruined the race.

That's what I'm hoping for a Cartman ''Screw you guys I'm going home.'' moment. It was tried before at Talladega and failed. Big Bill also squashed any talk of a union.
But times have changed.

Making the rules up as you go is typical of playground games. There's no room for it in professional sports. Like the article said, they should have seen this coming after the rash of laser penalties for Chase-qualified cars over the last couple of months.

Nascar spends too much time navel gazing and wondering what it needs to do to make it's fans happy . No wonder they look silly , flip flopping back and forth . You are the governing body ...govern . It is not humanly possible to make sports fans happy .

I know you are old enough to remember Hank Kimble on the old TV show "Green Acres" and it seems Nascar has used him as a model for making decisions regarding several things.

hank-kimball.jpg

Some of us are, and appreciate the comparison. County agent Hank was a model of the critical thinking process.

Good old Hank could make a statement he felt was true and within 30 seconds feel the opposite way. I also liked liked the Bradley girls on Petticoat Junction too. I believe they were Billie Jo, Bobbie Jo and Betty Jo. Loved Meredith McRae may she RIP.

An example of how inflexible rules work in auto racing is F1. A number of years ago some cars had a tire issue at the US Grand Prix. Rather than make a change to run the race they stuck to their rules and several teams refused to run. It ruined the race.

I guess they could have run the race as a 6 hour parade with yellows every 10 laps so teams could change tires, ala Nascar. At least the F1 race didn't prolong the agony as long. While we're on the subject, does anyone else find it odd that Indy has has been site of the tire issues that led to arguably the worst races in both Nascar and F1 history?

I guess they could have run the race as a 6 hour parade with yellows every 10 laps so teams could change tires,
That was the only choice they had or cancel the race (it could be argued they should have canceled it but that had other consequences). They had the wrong tire for that race (a mistake) and it was one of the worst races I'd watched. It was a tough call, there were no good options.

That was the only choice they had or cancel the race (it could be argued they should have canceled it but that had other consequences). They had the wrong tire for that race (a mistake) and it was one of the worst races I'd watched. It was a tough call, there were no good options.

It could be argued that both events (Brickyard and USGP) should have been canceled. Both were black eyes that their respective series haven't recovered from. Just look at the Brickyard attendance this year; I think more people show up for Black Friday at a single Walmart than went to that race.

I guess they could have run the race as a 6 hour parade with yellows every 10 laps so teams could change tires, ala Nascar.
Minor quibble: I recall it was 15 laps.

As a fan, it's a tough call whether I prefer a full field running in 15-lap segments on a 2.5 mile track, or a field of only 6 cars running an otherwise 'normal' F1 race. Eh, I'll go with the full field in segments. As to cancelling either event (or any other), I'll always support the decision that's best for the fans in the stands.

More serious then car body rules are rules about a $1.00 soda can affecting the outcome of a million dollar NASCAR race for the 50th time.

That was not the only choice they had. Teams could have simply pitted when the tires wore out like they do.....every single other race. Would there have been some blowouts? Sure. But it wouldn't have been the biggest embarrassment in the history of the sport like it ended up being.

That was not the only choice they had. Teams could have simply pitted when the tires wore out like they do.....every single other race. Would there have been some blowouts? Sure. But it wouldn't have been the biggest embarrassment in the history of the sport like it ended up being.
Tire changes were banned in F1 in 2005.

They tried that for the first quarter to third of the race, as I recall. I think the concern was cars taking out each other, and clean-up cautions taking longer than scheduled ones.

That one was a 'no win'.

More serious then car body rules are rules about a $1.00 soda can affecting the outcome of a million dollar NASCAR race for the 50th time.
Simple . Ban coolers and only sell drinks in paper cups . Treat fans like the idiots they are.

They tried that for the first quarter to third of the race, as I recall. I think the concern was cars taking out each other, and clean-up cautions taking longer than scheduled ones.

That one was a 'no win'.

My memory (and it could be wrong) was that we went through two cycles with blown tires before NASCAR went the caution every 15 laps route. I think the drivers would have self-policed and started pitting themselves once the pattern was seen and tire wear observed. It would have been an odd race for sure, but not the ridiculous farce it became.

Back
Top Bottom