What's your occupation?

Bank teller, also a delivery driver for dominos part time

Bank tellers have one of the most difficult jobs as you have to always be friendly, you must balance, meet sales goals and 1 controllable loss can mean the end.

Whenever I would install a long block, my estimate included all new hoses, water pump, t-stat, radiator rod out. If the customer declined the added extras, I had them sign a warranty waiver.

Yup as it is crazy not to change everything while you have the opportunity as you know at least one thing is going to let go when it changed from a long time environment and put into a new one.

Full time student majoring in forest management. Want to do timber consulting when I'm done with school. Work part time on a grounds crew on a golf course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup as it is crazy not to change everything while you have the opportunity as you know at least one thing is going to let go when it changed from a long time environment and put into a new one.
I've had people overheat a brand new engine simply because they blew a 10 year old hose that they chose not to replace. :eek:

Retired commercial printing manager, don't laugh it WAS a good career choice fifty or sixty years ago.
Before everyone with a computer thought they were a graphic designer and could could do it better on a two hundred dollar ink jet printer.
Thanks Mr. Gates and Mr. Jobs.

Right you are. My Dad and a service buddy started a small letter press printing company after WWII. went from 2 guys to a company of almost 50. Then came offset, multi color and to remain competitive millions in more new equipment would be needed. My two brothers expressed no interest in the business and neither did the only daughter of my dad's partner. Dad didn't feel it right to saddle me with massive debt. So ended a great business after 25 years

btw I learned to type on a linotype at 12 years old.

Right you are. My Dad and a service buddy started a small letter press printing company after WWII. went from 2 guys to a company of almost 50. Then came offset, multi color and to remain competitive millions in more new equipment would be needed. My two brothers expressed no interest in the business and neither did the only daughter of my dad's partner. Dad didn't feel it right to saddle me with massive debt. So ended a great business after 25 years

Similar to the decline in newspaper distribution over the past 20 years.

Bank tellers have one of the most difficult jobs as you have to always be friendly, you must balance, meet sales goals and 1 controllable loss can mean the end.
Yeah, and I'm not a great people person to begin with, but hey they hired me when I was unemployed so I do it. And it's been tough lately we in July had a merger and went from a smaller bank in Pa, NJ, and Maryland with 124 branches to being part of the 10th largest bank in the country that sponsored Clint Bowyer a few years ago that has over 2200 branches and is from Pa to Texas. Have to use a completely different system then before.

Letter press was as much a craft as it was a trade, I was running an offset shop in the early 90's that still had some LP equipment
for specialties like numbering, artsy projects and an occasional fix job.
Linotypes were fun plus the lead pigs made great trunk weight during snow storms.

Similar to the decline in newspaper distribution over the past 20 years.

For a guy who quit high school at 16, lied about his age and went off to fight a war he was a damn smart man. His business skills proved it.

My brother met Bobby Labonte yesterday. How ironinic. He said he met him on the bike trail.

I still remember when Bobby Labonte came to my Elementary School. This was back in the early 90s so I think he was still in the #18 Interstate Battery car at the time?

Yeah, and I'm not a great people person to begin with, but hey they hired me when I was unemployed so I do it. And it's been tough lately we in July had a merger and went from a smaller bank in Pa, NJ, and Maryland with 124 branches to being part of the 10th largest bank in the country that sponsored Clint Bowyer a few years ago that has over 2200 branches and is from Pa to Texas. Have to use a completely different system then before.

I always thought that BB&T and Key Bank could merge as they have no overlapping footprint. I know a lot of the banks have gutted staffing and just about everyone in the the building runs a window or has a drawer at their desk.

I always thought that BB&T and Key Bank could merge as they have no overlapping footprint. I know a lot of the banks have gutted staffing and just about everyone in the the building runs a window or has a drawer at their desk.
Yeah we were National Penn, the rumor is they decided to buy us after buy Susquehanna because susquehanna was not in good shape and we were. They said we would all keep our jobs, though a customer told us her daughter worked somewhere they aquired and a year or so in the fired everybody. Will just have to wait and see. I'm currently working on a plan to start my own business so we'll see where it goes.

I'm currently have two jobs. I work full time at an inbound call center in sales for SiriusXm radio. (I hate it but I do get free SiriusXm service).

On weekends I work maintenence at a nursing home.

I'm currently have two jobs. I work full time at an inbound call center in sales for SiriusXm radio. (I hate it but I do get free SiriusXm service).

Any idea how to get those bastards to quit blowing up my phone? I get at least one phone call a day, but usually more, since I cancelled my service.

Any idea how to get those bastards to quit blowing up my phone? I get at least one phone call a day, but usually more, since I cancelled my service.
Tell them to put you on do not call, do not mail and do not email. If they don't do it and they are being monitered, they will be fired. Ask for a supervisor to make sure it's done. That's one thing they're strict about.

Tell them to put you on do not call, do not mail and do not email. If they don't do it and they are being monitered, they will be fired. Ask for a supervisor to make sure it's done. That's one thing they're strict about.
I've told them to stop calling, but it hasn't helped. I'll try the supervisor route next time.

I currently own a janitorial business and an internet marketing business, plus plan on opening up a restaurant in a few years. I got sick of working for other people and sick of seeing how business owners treated their employees and customers, so one day I said **** it and vowed to never work for anyone else ever again. Best decision I ever made and I encourage everyone else to make that same decision if they are currently not completely happy with their jobs. Being an entrepreneur is a big risk to take, but if you are passionate there is no way you will fail. I started both businesses with less than a $500 investment (my entire savings at the time)...so if you think you need lots of money to start a business, think again.

I currently own a janitorial business and an internet marketing business, plus plan on opening up a restaurant in a few years. I got sick of working for other people and sick of seeing how business owners treated their employees and customers, so one day I said **** it and vowed to never work for anyone else ever again. Best decision I ever made and I encourage everyone else to make that same decision if they are currently not completely happy with their jobs. Being an entrepreneur is a big risk to take, but if you are passionate there is no way you will fail. I started both businesses with less than a $500 investment (my entire savings at the time)...so if you think you need lots of money to start a business, think again.
That's basically a huge part of me thinking of starting my own business, I really don't like working under someone.

That's basically a huge part of me thinking of starting my own business, I really don't like working under someone.
What's stopping you from starting a business then? Is there a certain field you would like to get into?

What's stopping you from starting a business then? Is there a certain field you would like to get into?
Nothing right now other then a lack of time between working 2 jobs and barely making ends meet. I've been working on laying out a business plan for about 2 months now, just doing my research about what I'll need to have. It's going to be a consulting and professional research service. I came up with the idea while trying to think of stuff I'm good at that people might pay for. I realized I like looking up information and learning things and figured I could put that to good use. I have degrees in political science and history and I figured my service would be for companies looking to expand into new places. Find for them regulatory hrules they might have in a local area or if an area they want to build in has historical significance that might cause backlash. I also think it could branch out to being a service that can help companies prepare to enter new markets seeing what their competitors in the area will be and devising strategies to make themselves competitive there.

There's still a lot for me to sort out and get figured out before I can just up and quit my day job, but I'm on my way. Hopefully my massive wall of text there makes sense...

Nothing right now other then a lack of time between working 2 jobs and barely making ends meet. I've been working on laying out a business plan for about 2 months now, just doing my research about what I'll need to have. It's going to be a consulting and professional research service. I came up with the idea while trying to think of stuff I'm good at that people might pay for. I realized I like looking up information and learning things and figured I could put that to good use. I have degrees in political science and history and I figured my service would be for companies looking to expand into new places. Find for them regulatory hrules they might have in a local area or if an area they want to build in has historical significance that might cause backlash. I also think it could branch out to being a service that can help companies prepare to enter new markets seeing what their competitors in the area will be and devising strategies to make themselves competitive there.

There's still a lot for me to sort out and get figured out before I can just up and quit my day job, but I'm on my way. Hopefully my massive wall of text there makes sense...
Woah...that actually sounds like a GREAT idea! Your educational credentials will certainly benefit you in more ways than one, particularly if you would be looking for investors or start-up loans. A lot of businesses nowadays go through third parties for various needs and I'm inclined to believe that your services would be very attractive to a lot of businesses. The main roadblock at first would be getting your name "out there", but that's the case for all new small businesses.

My suggestion is to join your local Chamber of Commerce and BNI chapter (if there is one...if not, I could probably help you start one) once you get your business registered and have about $1,000 saved up. The name of the game in being an entrepreneur is NETWORKING. Unless you have tons of money for advertising, you will have to "rough it" at first and go out of your way to introduce yourself and your business to strangers. Nearly all businesses do business with other businesses because of the person, not because of the business...if that makes sense. If you can sell yourself then you will have no issue selling your business services, and that goes back to networking.

But seriously...check and see if there is a BNI chapter in your area. That will be one of your primary keys to success.

Woah...that actually sounds like a GREAT idea! Your educational credentials will certainly benefit you in more ways than one, particularly if you would be looking for investors or start-up loans. A lot of businesses nowadays go through third parties for various needs and I'm inclined to believe that your services would be very attractive to a lot of businesses. The main roadblock at first would be getting your name "out there", but that's the case for all new small businesses.

My suggestion is to join your local Chamber of Commerce and BNI chapter (if there is one...if not, I could probably help you start one) once you get your business registered and have about $1,000 saved up. The name of the game in being an entrepreneur is NETWORKING. Unless you have tons of money for advertising, you will have to "rough it" at first and go out of your way to introduce yourself and your business to strangers. Nearly all businesses do business with other businesses because of the person, not because of the business...if that makes sense. If you can sell yourself then you will have no issue selling your business services, and that goes back to networking.

But seriously...check and see if there is a BNI chapter in your area. That will be one of your primary keys to success.
Thank you I'll definitely look into that. It's great to hear positive feedback on an idea. Yeah I figured getting my name out there at first will be the hardest part, but I have some good ideas. Working at a bank has made me familiar with a lot of bus inessential owners in the area particularly large mushroom farms being the biggest local business. To me they seemed like at least a good place to try and start and then grow from there. Living just outside Philadelphia I hope will provide a lot of different opportunities just due to the number of businesses.

Thank you I'll definitely look into that. It's great to hear positive feedback on an idea. Yeah I figured getting my name out there at first will be the hardest part, but I have some good ideas. Working at a bank has made me familiar with a lot of bus inessential owners in the area particularly large mushroom farms being the biggest local business. To me they seemed like at least a good place to try and start and then grow from there. Living just outside Philadelphia I hope will provide a lot of different opportunities just due to the number of businesses.
I just checked the Philly area...the following counties have BNI chapters:
1.AdamsCounty
2.BerksCounty
3.BucksCounty
4.ChesterCounty
5.CumberlandCounty
6.DauphinCounty
7.DelawareCounty
8.LancasterCounty
9.LebanonCounty
10. LehighCounty
11.MontgomeryCounty
12.NorthamptonCounty
13.PerryCounty
14.PhiladelphiaCounty
15.YorkCounty

My advice is to contact them asap and get on their waiting list. let them know you are planning on starting a business and are interested in becoming a member once you get your business registered with the state and federal government. BNI is what has really helped my janitorial business thrive...it's a networking group that refers business to its members. Every member basically acts as a salesperson for the other members, rather than other networking groups (chamber of commerce, etc.) that typically only have informal meetings and don't actively market the other members' business.

It might even be worthwhile to get a few mushroom farmers together for dinner and talk about how everyone can help one another. I've learned that businesses that directly compete with one another are typically more than willing to work together. Personal relationships in business are one of the best keys to success.

I just checked the Philly area...the following counties have BNI chapters:
1.AdamsCounty
2.BerksCounty
3.BucksCounty
4.ChesterCounty
5.CumberlandCounty
6.DauphinCounty
7.DelawareCounty
8.LancasterCounty
9.LebanonCounty
10. LehighCounty
11.MontgomeryCounty
12.NorthamptonCounty
13.PerryCounty
14.PhiladelphiaCounty
15.YorkCounty

My advice is to contact them asap and get on their waiting list. let them know you are planning on starting a business and are interested in becoming a member once you get your business registered with the state and federal government. BNI is what has really helped my janitorial business thrive...it's a networking group that refers business to its members. Every member basically acts as a salesperson for the other members, rather than other networking groups (chamber of commerce, etc.) that typically only have informal meetings and don't actively market the other members' business.

It might even be worthwhile to get a few mushroom farmers together for dinner and talk about how everyone can help one another. I've learned that businesses that directly compete with one another are typically more than willing to work together. Personal relationships in business are one of the best keys to success.

I will definitely look into getting involved with that. Thanks a bunch for the advice.

I'm a field supervisor for a flooring company that installs floors and tile in production homes. There's good days and bad days; like any job there's positives and negatives. The pay isn't terrible, I have weekends/holidays off, and I'm typically home by 4:00pm Monday thru Friday. So it definitely has some nice perks.

Could I make a career out of it? Meh. As far as work is concerned, I still have no idea what I want to do with the rest of my life.

I started today. Really like my boss and co-workers, but they're training me on 1st shift. I already know tons about a press brake, but I've got to learn their procedures and all that good stuff. I despise 1st shift though. I have about a 45/50 minute drive everyday and their 1st shift starts at 5:30 am. I hate having to get up that early. Hopefully they'll put me on 2nd within a couple of weeks. 1st shift is loaded with employees but the 2nd shift currently only has two employees. Laid back 2nd is what I'm waiting on.

Process Technician with a office between engineering and production. Mainly troubleshooting the biggest problems, and developing a solution. On call 24/7 if production is freaking out over any line problems.

This is a new position becomes official September 16th. But I have been doing a lot of this stuff already.
Should have more weekends off.

I'm a technical writer for a company that makes waterjet cnc cutting equipment. We supplied Michael Waltrip Racing with a system as an associate sponsor, when the contract was done they bought the system and got another one (they used our equipment to cut a lot of the parts for their cars). They put our name on the rear quarter panel for a race and sent us the skin from the good side of the car (the car got wrecked during the race).

Retired now. I sold new homes, working for a small-ish production builder as sales consultant. I loved this job, was basically like being self employed. Hard work, long hours, and success brought a genuine sense of satisfaction and accomplishment. And I was good at it, so I earned good money. This was the second half of my career - after I got tired of working for large corporations.

First half of career: strategic and financial planning for a large oil company. Then a management consultant for McKinsey & Company. Then sales and marketing management for a paper company and a building products company. I'm glad I took a timeout and reassessed what I wanted to do.

Student/Accounting intern

Worked full-time over the summer and should be starting part-time with another company that most people have heard of in a couple of weeks. I think I'm going to try to pass the CPA exam before they roll out the new formats April 1st.

Retired Navy...working for the CDC now. Primarily into gardening, NASCAR, and College football..

note: I just had to switch cars since my 2002 Buick Century was fading and having problems. So I bought a Honda "Fit" - 1st time I have had a manual transmission in 10-12 years or so. I love it.

Future career goals: catching fish and maybe shooting a deer or two....I'm retiring :punkrocke

(nothing against deer but they do hop over fences and eat my vegetables...and they make quality "jerky")

Currently an aerospace engineer but I think I'm having an early mid-career crisis. It pays well and has good benefits so it is difficult to leave, but I'm really bored with it.

I am very interested in starting my own business but have no idea what type of business to start. I actually started my own computer building business a couple years back but killed it when I decided to go back to school for a graduate degree.

This is great info, ive been trying to get my business off the ground , I belong to one networking group that is primarily for the industry I am in, but it never hurts to branch out and try other networking groups. I looked up the see if there are any local BNI groups in my area, and holly cow, there is more than I can shake a stick at, one in my suburb , so thats very handy, going to look more into.

Back
Top Bottom