When will Newman be boo'd

J

JarrettFan

What made me think of this is the other night at qualifying when Jeff G. took the track and got the pole. He was boo'd tremendously. And the place lit up when Newman bettered his time and got the pole. Now, if I got the history of the Gordon booing right, he is boo'd because he had won so many poles and races. I know there is also an element of stealing Sr's thunder that plays along with this. But basically he is boo'ed because he won too much. But, at this point in Gordon's career, he is not anymore a threat to win as any other 10 drivers. Will the boo's ever stop?

The real question I have for this board is: when will Newman get the same treatment that Gordon gets? Or will he ever? I personally am tired of seeing 'Mr. No Personallity' winning everything in sight. What do you all think? Is there more to the reason a driver is boo'd than just winning? How long is it before the fans are tired of Newman's Victories......some questionable?

I'm not posting this trolling for a Gordon/Newman fight. I am truely curious about this.

Lee

I see no reason why any driver should be booed just because they are winning. As a matter of fact I believe the winning driver should be cheered for winning. They, in most cases, simply outperformed their competitors. However, I would not cheer a driver that "takes out" the lead car to win a race. :)

Ryan Newman, the current best of the group, is outperforming the others at this point in his career. His talent and his crew's talent is responsible for a great year with expectations for a championship run next year and possibly this year if all the breaks go his way. :)

I agree with you muggle not. I don't like the fact that any of these talented drivers are being boo'd. I don't want Newman to be boo'd. I'm just curious as to what the difference is with Newman and Gordon. By the way I am not a Gordon fan but not a hater either.

Newman is on his way to a Championship for sure. And good for him. He has talent! I guess I don't understand or like the booing part of being live at a race.

Lee

In close to 40 years of watching auto races I have yet to boo a driver. I have been known to groan now and then however.

Even the little kids that run the little stock bodied mini's are heros of mine. Why would I boo any of them?

I think it will be a while before Newman gets boo'ed, seeing him win all the time does wear a little thin, but the nice thing about having a semi-bland personality is that there's nothing to dislike either

I don't think Ryan will ever get the boo-birds really on his case. I've never understood why they get on Jeff's case, either.

I don't boo a driver. I just don't cheer. However, when there is a scary wreck, no matter the driver, I will cheer when they get out of the car.

I must admit I may let out a loud groan when my "not-favs" do something, or cause something to happen to my "favs". LOL

Originally posted by TexasRaceLady@Oct 11 2003, 01:53 PM
I don't think Ryan will ever get the boo-birds really on his case. I've never understood why they get on Jeff's case, either.

I don't boo a driver. I just don't cheer. However, when there is a scary wreck, no matter the driver, I will cheer when they get out of the car.

I must admit I may let out a loud groan when my "not-favs" do something, or cause something to happen to my "favs". LOL
I agree, I cheer when one get's out ok and feel terrible when the wreck happens. But Im not a Gordon fan now, but I didnt like how they boo'ed him when I was...now I dont care :huh: But I dont boo a driver, I just say thoughts to myself ^_^ ...and express what I dis-like about them.

That was my first NASCAR event. TV doesn't do the booing justice. I was rather shocked! The only time I would boo a driver is if they intentionally get into my favs and take them out of the race. Then I would boo at the time of the incident. Atlanta will be my first NASCAR race so I'm sure the boo-birds will be out in full force.

I'm like you TRL, I don't like the boos during Introductions but the cheers when he wrecks is rediculous.

I think your right Roush_Racer, there really isn't anything to dis-like about Newman. So maybe his bland personality will buy him some time.

Thanks for your replies.

Lee

Cool, I'll do that! Looks like our seats are pretty close together. Champ 240, Row 70, Seat 7and 8.

I'm going with my brother from SD. His first NASCAR race as well. I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!

See ya in a couple weeks.

Lee

I think people boo a winning driver because they are winning. That was the reason Jeff Gordon got booed.That's a fact of life. One of the most hated Baseball teams in history is the Yankees. Why? Because they have won more pennets than any other team. When Newman won the eighth race that means that there was 8 races that mine ou your driver didn't win just that simple.

Gollum....

Jeff Gordon really isn't winning anymore. Why is he still boo'd? Newman is winning....why isn't he boo'd? Will he ever be boo'd? Will Gordon ever not be boo'd? These are the points of my original post.

I think Gordon will always be boo'd by the Earnhardt fans. That will never end. But I don't understand fans of other drivers still ragging on Gordon when he isn't any more of a winner than 10 other drivers.

Lee

Have fun in Atlanta, your first race. I remember mine, it was great....fishing for Jeff Gordon :lol: (I love telling this story :D :lol: )

A part of Jeff's non-acceptance was due in part to his displacing Earnhardt as the new king of the hill.Other factors contributed to his rejection by the masses too however.Not the least of which was the almost magical abilties of the cars he was given.MUCH like Newman currently,his cars just seemed to be able to do things the other 42 couldn't.Not a conspiracy,just an observation.Whether mechanical genius or hoodwinking the officials both guys have that in common.The boo's will come very soon for Ryan.

Originally posted by 97forever@Oct 11 2003, 04:54 PM
The boo's will come very soon for Ryan.
I shall have my tv turned up high....it will half to be, I couldnt even hear Kurt's after his altercation with you know who.

I have to agree with 97. After Petty quit winning Earnhardt became king of the track. The Intimidator. Then along came a short collage prep looking kid in a fast car. The boo's started comming and maybe the Earnhardt fan feel like they are still pulling for Dale by booing Jeff. As for Newman. I belive the boos will come not because he did any thing wrong. Because he is winning. And like i said he will be talking win from Jarrett, Harvick, Jr and ect.

why are alot of you saying Gordon got boo'ed bc of Earnhardt? Wasnt he boo'ed bc he was winning all the time, not bc of Earnhardt? Im not an Earnhardt fan, but Im just wondering.

Because it is believed by the Sr fans that Jeff won championships that should have belonged to Sr. If Jeff was not around at the time and winning so much, Sr would have had more wins and more than likely more championships. That's why I say, I can understand the boo's from Earnhardt fans but not from fans of other drivers. I sat next to a guy that was decked out in DJ stuff. He boo'd his head off at Jeff after his run and he got the pole. And freaked out when Ryan beat his time.

97forever, has hit it on the head as far as why Gordon is dis-liked. Time will tell if the same thing happens to Ryan.

But we still haven't answered why 'Why is Jeff still boo'd today by most of the fans?' Are there really that many Sr. fans still out there and they are making the most noise? Only now they are disquised in colors of other drivers because of the passing of Sr. If Sr. was still around, these people would be wearing his stuff instead of DJ's, Bobby's, Etc.?

I don't know. Does anybody? How about a reply from somebody that does boo Jeff during introductions and is not a Sr. fan. Help me to understand. :huh:

Lee

Lee

As soon as he becomes gay, looks like a nerd, refuses to take crap from the black top bully, speaks his mind, fails a PC test seconds after coming out a wrecked car...ect....

I really could care less if they boo'ed him but then again he dosnt deserve it all the time :).

I stole someones avata....Im just borrowing

Look, them 2 were friends :D

Attachments

• GORDON.jpg
    GORDON.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 12
Yea right! If you look closely, you can see that Sr. is giving Jeff the Vulcan Nerve Pinch in hopes of incapacitating his right arm. No right arm....no shifting. Jeff drives around in first gear. :D

Lee

Originally posted by Luv4Dale8@Oct 11 2003, 06:10 PM
why are alot of you saying Gordon got boo'ed bc of Earnhardt? Wasnt he boo'ed bc he was winning all the time, not bc of Earnhardt? Im not an Earnhardt fan, but Im just wondering.
because of both,Jeff's winning all the time and IMO mainly because in 1995 when Jeff Gordon beat out Dale Earnhardt for the Title,if Jeff hadn't been in the Series at this point,then Dale Earnhardt Sr. would've had His 8 Championships,thereby breaking the Cup tie with the King Richard Petty,I'd presume that this is a major thorn in many of Sr.'s fans,as to why a lot of the #3 fans boo JG today,I guess it's just that old habits are hard to break,might also have to do with Jeff Gordon still leading all active drivers in Championships(4) and wins(62),a record 7 road course victories,the only 3 time Brickyard 400 winner,tied Richard Petty's modern-era single season win record with 13 wins in the 1998 season & etc.

Ryan Newman's had one great season,but His career wins is only 9 wins & o Cups,He has a long way to go to come close to JG's awesome numbers,as do most drivers out there today :lol: :lol:

Force of habit ^_^

Many don't really have any problem with the 2003 version of Jeff Gordon. There was a great deal of jealousy and resentment when he was dominating the field. A lot of that just carried over. I honestly feel that a lot of the people who started booing Jeff were doing so mostly because their drinking buddies were doing it. Kind of a peer pressure thing.

I see people booing the fuel mileage thing continuing. But I really don't see Ryan coming close to being as hated as Jeff by the masses. The driver with the biggest following now is Junior. And even his fans know that Ryan isn't what is keeping him from winning championships.

I think you are right on 4x! I too think it is a force of habit or a tradition to boo Jeff. I bet most of of those that boo Jeff really don't have that strong of opinion about him. They are just following the pack.

It does seem that of those who responded don't see Ryan gettting the same treatment. At least not any time soon. And I agree with those that don't like the races always coming down to fuel milage. Goodyear needs to soften the tires up a bit so they don't last as long as a load of fuel. At least at most tracks.

Lee

Well, having experienced the boo factor against Jeff in person, I think it's more of a tradition type of thing now, they may be booing him, but I think it's out of a bit of respect too. The boo birds were out for Tony Stewart, Kurt Busch and Jeffy at Talladega, so it's not just the 24 who get's it. Funny thing is, if you look at the crowds other than Dale Jr./Sr. fans, the next largest group is for the 24.

Funny thing I heard on the way back to my car at 'Dega after Waltrip won, some lady was walking by and said something to the effect of "For all the cheering they gave him, you sure don't actually see a lot of Waltrip fans in the stands" So I think it goes both ways. Waltrip, IMO, gets a lot of fanbase by being associated with DEI, just as Jeff get's boo'd for stealing some of Sr's thunder.

Oh, well, it makes for a fun atmosphere at the races. That's for sure!

I don't really see it that only Sr. fans started to boo Jeff. I think alot of people including Sr. fans were just rubbed the wrong way. It was a combination of the winning, hendrick, Evernham and the feeling that jeff did not earn his way in. a majority of Nascar fans did not like this combination. They may have got the wrong impression with the preppy look and thought Jeff was too slick for Nascar.

I don't think Sr fans thought it was all Jeff's fault for causing Sr. not to win anymore. There were 41 other cars out there. As to the continued booing, do you change who you are a fan or not a fan of from year to year? Most likely this does not change, partly because first impressions stick and to change your mind would mean admitting your were wrong (not directed at anyone specific).

As to Ryan himself, it was pointed out that he does not have any championships yet. I think people are more informed of Ryan's imput to the team and that there is no perception that he was handed championships. He is a purdue graduate in engineering. There will be people that start to boo if he continues to win for various reasons. Some being winning too much, being with Penske.

I also do not agree with the bland personality. Everytime he is interviewed he has something to say. He jokes around with his team alot. Remember the boris said wigs and other costumes worn by his pit crew.

Hey Dinoforthe3, good point about why Jeff is not loved by all. And I agree that it was not only the Sr. fans that did not like him at first. He did not fit NASCAR's mold. But I do believe IMO that it was the Sr. fans, for the most part, that really was the most vocal about their dislike for him. And other fans just followed suit because it was the thing to do. Now it's just a race tradition.

Yes, I have drivers I like and those I don't. And you are right, I don't change much at all. I also wouldn't boo any of the drivers that I don't like either unless like I said earlier, they take out one of my guys intentionally. Then that driver will get an ear full when he climbs from his car. But never at driver intro's. I just don't think that's cool! Case in point.....when Sr. took out T. Labonte at Bristol on th elast lap. I would have climbed the flag stand to boo him for that action. But next week at driver intro's.....no way! My be that's weird but that my opinion. Like I said earlier, thatwas my first NASCAR event and the only booing I heard was toward Jeff. In 2 weeks I will be at Atlanta for the Cup race. I will be there for the intro's and I will see first hand ho it works. Are more drivers boo'd than just Jeff?

Ryan can have any personality he wants. What bugs me about him is he can win a race or a pole and he is not excited in the least about it. He is doing something I can only dream of doing and he doesn't even seem happy about it. Maybe he is just camera shy or whatever. It's not a big deal but it just bugs me. I do remember the wigs but because his crew yuks it up doesn't automatically give Ryan personality.

Lee

Rusty!? Really!? I never would of thought that. I guess I thought the old timers had a free pass. :)

Lee

Not everybody shows excitement the same way. Some people are more reserved. To use myself as an example, earlier this year I threw a 300 game in bowling that won me $10,000. After the last pin fell, I jumped about 10 feet in the air, but after a couple of minutes (the time it takes to do burnouts) I was much more reserved and deflected more of the attention.

Originally posted by JarrettFan@Oct 14 2003, 03:37 AM
Rusty!? Really!? I never would of thought that. I guess I thought the old timers had a free pass. :)

Lee
Oh yes, Rusty would get boo'ed. He is a driver with a very solid fan base. When you have a solid fan base, there is always fans on the other side of that. This is the case in my family. My parents and brother are as big of Rusty fans as I am a Sr fan. It made for some interesting race days. I also liked to tease them that Rusty did not like driving fast (better record on short tracks). It was all in fun, as they tease me about Sr. just driving people over.

Back
Top Bottom