Whos the best driver on the Cup circuit today?

D

danjay6

Im going to have to go with my number one, Mark Martin.

Not just because he is my favorite but, for the reason why I am a fan of his.

Back in his ASA days he passed five cars in the last 5 laps to win the race...but thats not the whole story.

he had a flat right rear for those five laps and the car was sooo loose coming off the corners I was amazed at his talent to just man handle a race car and have such car control.

I have follwed him ever since then and it is just unbelievable to see Mark Martin drive a race car....hes a wheel man..

A lot of other facts could be used to support your claims danjay.For sheer wheel skill,few stock car drivers in history could match Mark Martin.In his prime---which,sadly,Is behind him,IMO--he was something to behold.A bold statement in this hyper-sensitive NASCAR era would be to say certainly no Earnhardt or Gordon could have ever held a wheel with old Mark in his day.Not to speak bad of those guys--but just to illustrate how good Mark actually was.Kurt Busch and Tony Stewart and maybe Robby Gordon are the only three guys out there now that posess anywhere near the same level skill that Mark has/had.

:cheers:

Mark Martin without doubt. Past his prime or not.

In equally prepared cars I would take Mark over any other driver on the circuit right now.

I can see a few pages to this topic and a few arguements

While I probably won't disagree with anyone, it seems that this questions is very broad in it's asking. This leaves the answer completely subject to one's own personal opinion. In other words, there really in no completely right or wrong answer. It is subjective to one's own driver "favorite" if you will.

;)

While Mark is certainly ONE of my faves, he is by no means the guy I root for out there. That would be young Kurt.

But yea, I think yer right. Most answers will be along the favorite line, and highly subjective. And imo, there is nothing to argue about unless a person just wants to discount another's opinion.....

or, in the words of Dr. Seuss......."Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."

jr. my fav but I think it's a toss up between tony stewart and flyin ryan.

I'd have to say that Harvick is the best driver right now. He's run so well consistanly this season and has won in the Busch series too. He's got great potential.

Newman is awesome but won't win a title until he cuts down his DNFs and everyone else learns about fuel mileage.

In the late 80's most of the drivers acknowledged that Rusty had the most talent Nowadays I would think that Tony has the most talent with Jeff Gordon coming in second. Who do I think will win the championship next year.....Ryan Newman.

Kevin Harvick and Ryan Newman.... hands down, they've both been somewhat consistent and have lots of potential. I see next year a championship battle between the two.

This question has been asked in every kind of wording. And most of the time people will put their favorite driver.

Yup, if you force me to pick 1, I'll pick my favorite everytime.
That said, I think there is really 6 - 8 out there right now that will fall into that catagory.
I think if you look at wins and championships - thumbs down Jeff Gordon, not to say that one day some of these others might not catch him.

The ability to jump into different series and win, Tony Stewart. He's wone in NCTS, Busch, Cup, Has Championships in 5 different series.

Then there's Newman, Johnson, Kenseth,

Then good potential, Harvick, Jr, R. Gordon, Kurt Busch

Lots of other guys I would consider top caliber too. As much as I cbitch about NASCAR, it is the best racing series with the most (#of) talent in it.

I'm still new to NASCAR, but what I've seen this year, I would have to say a 3 way tie between Gordon, Stewart, and Newman. I am in no way a stewart fan, but I think right now he has the most driving skill(as hard as it was for me to say that..lol)

Originally posted by Gollum@Oct 11 2003, 01:02 AM
This question has been asked in every kind of wording. And most of the time people will put their favorite driver.
Most skill out there even to this day, Bill Elliott! We all saw him trackdown Atwood at homestead, Marlin at Pocono, and dominate the Brickyard. .... :D :rolleyes:

Kevin Harvick, Bill Elliott, and Tony Stewart.
Jeff Gordon and Ryan Newman close behind.

Back
Top Bottom