Xfinity RACE thread --- Dover

I agree that it was natural but I also remember that hollow feeling watching them ride around under caution and click off those remaining laps. I dont know what the answer is. I was thinking a single file restart but I'm not sure that would help, maybe a little?
I have a few more thoughts, but I think I'm in the minority opinion. I understand that and I'm not expecting any changes or wanting to crusade for a lost cause.

I also understand that shenanigans or manipulation can happen with or without GWCs. An obvious example would be a team car causing a caution around mile 495 to ensure a leading teammate gets the win. There will always be a NASCAR-sucks crowd with or without GWC's, myself included yesterday, despite my desire to minimize those personal moments. I just wish race control was less about being popular and just running the race.

I just think we are too wrapped up in the instant gratification. Most people don't want to accept the risk of someone winning by a couple of seconds and the want every last lap to be climatic. I love those moments too, I just do not want to degrade the rest the race or events to make it happen.

Multiple GWCs compound the problem as well. I do like the idea of single-file restarts to minimize the shenanigans. I would add in quickie cautions to minimize the riding around as well, but that will also be less than desirable to most fans. There is just no escaping the "NASCAR sucks" crowd, and I wish I had waited to settle down before posting my own "Eff NASCAR" thoughts yesterday (my wife could tell I was pissed at the time as I started posting and laughed while I posted in the moment).

Nothing in my mind feels cheaper than allowing someone to catch up for a second chance at the GWC. The perfect setup for an inferior car to run the leader up the track, or intentionally going eight tires if needed, or doing a lame-ass bump and run. I wouldn't care for that anytime, but it would be minimized without the GWCs. They would at least need to be close enough to do it, only after an extended green run.

I will probably stop for now on this topic, at least for today. I don’t feel like I am articulating all my scrambled thoughts well enough already, and I will only become more repetitive going forward. I’ve got to figure out my pick’em stuff too, and it will be time for the green before too long.
I love the races at Dover; hopefully, it will be a classic today.

Why would Carson line up on the top, not once but twice at the end of a race? Everyone knew what would happen.
Was really hoping to see Carson win, but Truex was an ok winner for a second straight year.

I have a few more thoughts, but I think I'm in the minority opinion. I understand that and I'm not expecting any changes or wanting to crusade for a lost cause.

I also understand that shenanigans or manipulation can happen with or without GWCs. An obvious example would be a team car causing a caution around mile 495 to ensure a leading teammate gets the win. There will always be a NASCAR-sucks crowd with or without GWC's, myself included yesterday, despite my desire to minimize those personal moments. I just wish race control was less about being popular and just running the race.

I just think we are too wrapped up in the instant gratification. Most people don't want to accept the risk of someone winning by a couple of seconds and the want every last lap to be climatic. I love those moments too, I just do not want to degrade the rest the race or events to make it happen.

Multiple GWCs compound the problem as well. I do like the idea of single-file restarts to minimize the shenanigans. I would add in quickie cautions to minimize the riding around as well, but that will also be less than desirable to most fans. There is just no escaping the "NASCAR sucks" crowd, and I wish I had waited to settle down before posting my own "Eff NASCAR" thoughts yesterday (my wife could tell I was pissed at the time as I started posting and laughed while I posted in the moment).

Nothing in my mind feels cheaper than allowing someone to catch up for a second chance at the GWC. The perfect setup for an inferior car to run the leader up the track, or intentionally going eight tires if needed, or doing a lame-ass bump and run. I wouldn't care for that anytime, but it would be minimized without the GWCs. They would at least need to be close enough to do it, only after an extended green run.

I will probably stop for now on this topic, at least for today. I don’t feel like I am articulating all my scrambled thoughts well enough already, and I will only become more repetitive going forward. I’ve got to figure out my pick’em stuff too, and it will be time for the green before too long.
I love the races at Dover; hopefully, it will be a classic today.
No man you articulated your point very well. I get it, its frustrating because the ONLY solution is to go back to finishes under caution and that's going to cause an uproar.

If NASCAR went back to that rule, I wonder if they would have let the race continue after the 21 did that power slide and gathered it back up? Back in the day the answer would have been yes, but they are much quicker with the flag today than they were 20 years ago. The 88 would have been on his way to a win if they had used the old way.

Why would Carson line up on the top, not once but twice at the end of a race? Everyone knew what would happen.
Was really hoping to see Carson win, but Truex was an ok winner for a second straight year.
More grip up top on the start plus you can pin the inside car on the bottom and at Dover the best line coming out of the hole exiting 2 is up high. Now, all that goes away if someone uses you up

I like some of the comments here so I am going to add my own. GWC should be a single file restart for the simple reason that usually that's the way the front runners were running before the caution. I believe the driver leading the race with under 2 or 5 to go should be given back his advantage.

I like some of the comments here so I am going to add my own. GWC should be a single file restart for the simple reason that usually that's the way the front runners were running before the caution. I believe the driver leading the race with under 2 or 5 to go should be given back his advantage.
Maybe let the leader start single file with double behind him. Gives them a chance but lets him keep some advantage

Back
Top Bottom