Xfinity RACE thread --- Martinsville

I'll go with Dale's assessment of the incident. This is EXACTLY the scenario that so many people CLAIM to want, and then want to bitch when it doesn't go down nice. The format is basically throwing a M80 into a chicken coupe. Your can't whine when the feathers start flying.
Glad you figured it out.

Okay, so here is my thought on the whole mess from a (former) business owner. I think no matter what you think of the on-track action between Sheldon Creed and Austin Hill, Andy Petree and Richard Childress absolutely handled this in the worst way possible.

For Andy Petree, he chewed out one of this employees in front of news reporters, in front of other drivers, other RCR employees. Which, you just don't do as a manager or owner of a business. You want your employees to resent you? That's how you get your employees to resent you.

Richard Childress, putting his driver on blast in public like that is just...that's worse because 1) he's the boss, the buck stops with him and he's supposed to set an example as a business owner and he did a ****** poor job of that.

Everyone knew that Sheldon Creed had to win to get into the Final 4, and in the closing laps, he was going for that win. Austin Hill could've easily made the Final 4 by tucking behind Creed and playing defense to make sure the two RCR cars made it, but that's not the way it went.

Glad you figured it out.
Yeah, I figured out from day one that it's a piss poor way to go about determining a champion, and was going to result in a lot more torn up equipment and jackass moves and jackass over reactions. Even more absurd is the fact that Sheldon Creed even had a CHANCE to compete for the title at Phoenix. Kind of wish he had made it just to highlight the absurdity of it.

Okay, so here is my thought on the whole mess from a (former) business owner. I think no matter what you think of the on-track action between Sheldon Creed and Austin Hill, Andy Petree and Richard Childress absolutely handled this in the worst way possible.

For Andy Petree, he chewed out one of this employees in front of news reporters, in front of other drivers, other RCR employees. Which, you just don't do as a manager or owner of a business. You want your employees to resent you? That's how you get your employees to resent you.

Richard Childress, putting his driver on blast in public like that is just...that's worse because 1) he's the boss, the buck stops with him and he's supposed to set an example as a business owner and he did a ****** poor job of that.

Everyone knew that Sheldon Creed had to win to get into the Final 4, and in the closing laps, he was going for that win. Austin Hill could've easily made the Final 4 by tucking behind Creed and playing defense to make sure the two RCR cars made it, but that's not the way it went.
I agree. Hard to imagine Mr. H, Coach or RP reacting in such a way. A bad look for RCR all around.

Not sure Creed is an "employee" (independent contractor actually) anymore. At the longest, his contract ends after the last race this week, but it may have ended after Martinsville. He has already been replaced for next year announced a couple of weeks ago.

Just so you know, I don't think Richard Childress would ever consider re-contracting with Creeds people.

If you knew of the points situation with a GWC to go, Allgaier was in 4th or 5th and Austin Hill was told he had to win by 5 places over him. Trying to win made a hell of a lot of sense because he had no control over how Allgaier was going to do.

I completely understand Creed was going for a win but Creed blew the turn, lost momentum and ruined Hill's chances of making the final four for RCR.

One could argue until they are blue in the face with the way Petree and Richard Childress handled it. I tend to think they didn't like him very much before this happened and this was the final straw. At least they didn't bust him in the mouth.

I absolutely loved Petree as a broadcaster. Probably my favorite non - play by play ever.

But I watched his Dale Jr download episode. Dude rubbed me the wrong way. He knows best. His way goes. And this Creed situation?

The whole thing just oozes like "the good ol" days, and they want their next Dale in Creed, and expect everything to revolve around him

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Hill door slams Creed, that’s okay.

Creed moves Hill, that’s not okay.

That’s the dumbest logic in the world.

Oops I’m gonna get told off for saying it but it needs to be said.
I just watched the replay again. You’re right. Hill door slams Creed in 1-2, and then on the last lap down the backstretch he takes several swipes at him. Hill started it, and he got what he deserved.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you are going to be cheering much. Love is coming to town for RCR, and Sammy will be slamming for JR. The dummies are holding up Heim in the trucks.
Oh I’ll be cheering. Solely for Sheldon to perform better than RCR. Don’t know anything about the Love kid, hope he has some class. But I’ll cheer for Hill to blow up, slap walls, and get outrun by Creed.

From Bob Pockrass:
Both drivers needed a win to make the next round. Hill could have advanced if he finished second and Cole Custer was seventh or worse — and Custer was running around sixth at the time.

Drivers in the Xfinity Series are rarely going to execute moves perfectly. They often are young and new to the high-pressure situations. They deserve the benefit of the doubt that mistakes happen.

But Creed committed the biggest sin when racing a teammate — if you rough each other up, make sure one of you wins. That didn't happen, and for that, Creed will end up taking the blame, even if his only crime was not making all the right decisions.

From Bob Pockrass:
Both drivers needed a win to make the next round. Hill could have advanced if he finished second and Cole Custer was seventh or worse — and Custer was running around sixth at the time.

Drivers in the Xfinity Series are rarely going to execute moves perfectly. They often are young and new to the high-pressure situations. They deserve the benefit of the doubt that mistakes happen.

But Creed committed the biggest sin when racing a teammate — if you rough each other up, make sure one of you wins. That didn't happen, and for that, Creed will end up taking the blame, even if his only crime was not making all the right decisions.

IMHO, Creed was doing what he had to do, which was to win. It was the only way he was going to advance to the Final 4.

If Petree and Childress can't see that and acknowledge that Creed did what any driver in his position would've done, then maybe it's time for them to find something else to do.

From Bob Pockrass:

Hill also roughed him up also… Hill didn’t make sure one of them won…. Sooo yeah

Hill is absolutely not innocent here. They beat the hell out of each other for 2 laps, and he took the first swipe by dooring him in turn 1 after the restart. The biggest issue I have is how Hill cried to the media after the race and then leaked Creed’s 2024 plans, and Childress called Creed stupid. If I didn’t like Kyle Busch as much as I do, I would wish nothing but failure on RCR. It seems like the second most toxic team to be a part of in NASCAR. You can probably guess who I have at #1

From Bob Pockrass:

Every single bit of that applies to Hill just as much as it does to Creed. There is no innocent party here.

I hate Kyle Busch and hate that Austin Dillon drives the #3. This just adds more fuel to my fire.

Classless org. RC told Martha Earnhardt that no one would drive the 3 again and then he gave it to his piece of **** grandson. Lost all respect for him then and he keeps digging the hole deeper.

Bet people who said Sheldon brake checked feel silly now. Something was damaged on the car. Egg on some faces.

If you believe that story I’ve got a bridge to sell. This was their story to get out of the backlash they were getting without admitting they’ve been s*****ing on Creed the whole time while gargling on Hill. I’m slightly cynical.

IMHO, Creed was doing what he had to do, which was to win. It was the only way he was going to advance to the Final 4.

If Petree and Childress can't see that and acknowledge that Creed did what any driver in his position would've done, then maybe it's time for them to find something else to do.
The only sim committed is the one Freddie Kraft mentioned on DBC: if you’re going to wreck someone for the win, commit and WRECK them like Gibbs did. Don’t give them a chance to get you back. Oh, and win the race. (Hamlin 2017 reference when he dumped the 24 then didn’t win)

If you believe that story I’ve got a bridge to sell. This was their story to get out of the backlash they were getting without admitting they’ve been s*****ing on Creed the whole time while gargling on Hill. I’m slightly cynical.
I think it can be a little bit of both. Like obviously they realized he didn’t do a brake check, because that would be dumb as hell. But the rest with apologizing is a huge PR move

Back
Top Bottom