19)michigan
20)bristol
21)darlingotn
22)richmond
23)dover
24)charlotte
25)rockingham
26)homestead

damn.i know things arent as good as they seem in the past but hell give me this busch series anyday

8 of those tracks are no longer on the schedule

the top 5 in points were

1)randy lajoie
2)david green
3)tod bodine
4)jeff green
5)chad little

surpsingily enough though 10 of the 26 races were won by cup regulars (mark martin won 6 in teh famed winn dixie car)

but come on

id rather have this then the new xfinity series

If you look back 20 years versus the current schedule, for *any* race series anywhere in the world, you will see that some venues dropped off while others got added. Iowa, Road America, Mid-Ohio, Kentucky, etc, etc.

I'd like to see more stand-alone Xfinity dates, but I understand there are a lot of costs incurred that don't exist with Cup companion events. And there are infrastructure issues and safety issues as well.

Yes, that was a decent schedule.

Man I wish they could come back to Myrtle Beach Speedway that's literally my backyard right now I know they took out the backstretch grandstand but I'll be damned if they wouldn't sell out if they came back. Hickory is very cool too

In 1996 90% of the cars were sponsored. In 2016, 66% of the cars are sponsored.

If you look back 20 years versus the current schedule, for *any* race series anywhere in the world, you will see that some venues dropped off while others got added. Iowa, Road America, Mid-Ohio, Kentucky, etc, etc.

I'd like to see more stand-alone Xfinity dates, but I understand there are a lot of costs incurred that don't exist with Cup companion events. And there are infrastructure issues and safety issues as well.

Very true on change
Cup 1996
Screenshot_2016-06-21-23-33-02.png

Trucks
Screenshot_2016-06-21-23-35-07.png

Indy
Screenshot_2016-06-21-23-35-42.png

F1
Screenshot_2016-06-21-23-37-13.png

They might be going back to those small tracks soon the way the sport is going.

I miss that type of schedule! One of may major gripes with NASCAR today (and I really don't have many) is the lack of identity within each series. Get the Xfinnity Series on more stand alone weekends at those true bullring short tracks. Personally, I think more one off weekends would create more interest in the each individual event. Myrtle Beach was always held the night before Pocono. That was always such a great race to get me pumped up for the next day.

I spent most of younger childhood living in the Lehigh Valley near Nazareth Speedway. It was a sad day too see that place fade away. Nazareth was easily one more of the more unique tracks in the country imo.

this was the schedule in 1996

1)daytona
2)rockingham
3)richmond
4)atlanta
5)nashville
6)darlington
7)bristol
8)hickory
9)nazareth
10)charlotte
11)dover
12)south boston
13)myrtle beach
14)watkins glen
15)milwaukee
16)loudon
17)talladega
18)irp
19)michigan
20)bristol
21)darlingotn
22)richmond
23)dover
24)charlotte
25)rockingham
26)homestead

damn.i know things arent as good as they seem in the past but hell give me this busch series anyday

8 of those tracks are no longer on the schedule

the top 5 in points were

1)randy lajoie
2)david green
3)tod bodine
4)jeff green
5)chad little

surpsingily enough though 10 of the 26 races were won by cup regulars (mark martin won 6 in teh famed winn dixie car)

but come on

id rather have this then the new xfinity series

When I started watching, they also ran at Rougemont and Volusia County. God, I loved those races. This, along with the Trucks and ASA, was racing.

#MakeNASCARGreatAgain

IRP, was always a good race, hate they changed that.

My blood still boils over that.

The 2003 IRP Busch race was a classic with Shane Hmiel and Brian Vickers side-by-side for like half the race. Legendary duel.

The 2012 ARCA race at IRP was a good one too. Three wide racing all night and Frank Kimmel winning for the first time in four years. Had a lot of friends in DC who never watched racing turn that one on and they got into it. Then they watched the Cup race at Indianapolis and thought it was boring. :\

Back
Top Bottom