Xfinity Series

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

NASCAR close to new series sponsor to replace Nationwide

NASCAR appears to be closing in on a deal for a new sponsor for what is now called the Nationwide Series.

According to the SportsBusiness Journal, NASCAR is in contract negotiations with Comcast’s Xfinity to become the title sponsor of its No. 2 racing series. Nationwide's contract is up after this season.

Xfinity, the Comcast division that provides broadband, TV and phone service, is considering a five- to six-year deal valued at $100 million, according to SBJ’s Tripp Mickle. Xfinity would pay approximately $9 million in rights fees and $9 million in media activation in its first year, SBJ reported.

Read the rest here.

TO XFINITY AND BEYOND !!!

Buzz-Lightyear.jpg

I haven't figured out why Comcast uses the name Xfinity. Comcast provides TV/phone/internet - I got the impression they were changing their corporate name to Xfinity rather than branding their service.

I doubt you'll be able to stream NBC's NXS races through anything other than Xfinity services.

"TV Anywhere" rights were included in the FOX/NBC television deal so that's already passed.

It could be worse. It could be the NFL where the only way to watch out-of-market games is to have DIRECTV and the only way to watch a stream on a smartphone or tablet is to have Verizon Wireless.

Last edited:
"TV Anywhere" rights were included in the FOX/NBC television deal so that's already passed.

It could be worse. It could be the NFL where the only way to watch out-of-market games is to have DIRECTV and the only way to watch a stream on a smartphone or tablet is to have Verizon Wireless.

Ain't that the truth. Have to have Verizon to stream NFL games and have to have Sprint for NASCAR content. No reason for anyone to ever have both, even if they could afford it.

I thought it was because 'Comcast" had such a bad reputation.
I guess NASCAR is keeping some pretty shady company. On the recently released "Customer Service Hall of Shame" list that 24/7 Wall St. puts out every year, Comcast ranked #2 and Sprint #3 in worst customer service. (Bank of America was #1)

You can use Live Extra with other providers but I can see them making that package of races more exclusive.

Ain't that the truth. Have to have Verizon to stream NFL games and have to have Sprint for NASCAR content. No reason for anyone to ever have both, even if they could afford it.
And Verizon with their IndyCar content.

Freaking telecoms.

In two years it will be called the "Time Warner Series" the next year "Comcast Series" and the final year or two it will be the "Charter Communications Series"

Comcast and NASCAR plan to announce a 10-year sponsorship agreement next week that will turn the sport’s secondary circuit into the Xfinity Series. The deal, which is valued at close to $200M, is expected to be announced on Wednesday in Charlotte, according to sources. Comcast and NASCAR both declined to comment.

The announcement follows several months of negotiations and represents a major achievement for NASCAR. The sanctioning body began looking for a title sponsor late last year after current sponsor Nationwide Insurance decided to discontinue its sponsorship. Comcast emerged as a viable replacement after the company’s sports TV group, NBC, signed a 10-year, $4.4B rights deal with NASCAR. As part of the deal, Comcast agreed to spend $10M marketing and promoting the sport. Its marketing team saw title sponsorship of NASCAR’s secondary series as a way to fulfill that obligation and also promote its cable TV, broadband and phone business unit, Xfinity.

Comcast initially wanted a shorter-term deal and resisted NASCAR’s push for a 10-year agreement. However, in recent weeks, it decided to commit to 10 years to match the length of NBC’s broadcast deal. NASCAR was asking for $12-15M a year in rights fees, with media and activation commitments that would take the total value of a deal to more than $25M. A deal of that size would have been an increase from the approximately $10M in rights fees Nationwide spent for title sponsorship of the series. NASCAR was unable to find a replacement partner willing to pay more for a series that had seen its average TV viewership per race fall from 2.06 million in ‘08, when Nationwide started its sponsorship to 1.7 million this season. Comcast approved a rights fee in ‘15 of approximately $9M, with media and activation commitments that would take the total spend to more than $18M.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2014/08/28/Marketing-and-Sponsorship/Xfinity.aspx

Is it just me or is it cheaper to sponsor a series than one team? I feel like you get more bang for your buck as a series sponsor.

Depends on the series. However I was really surprised when Napa decided to sponsor Chase. I was almost certain they were going to take up title sponsorship for NNS. Guess I was wrong.

Deal is for 10 years sponsorship of the series. Not really anything new than what has been previously reported.

Recent title sponsorship reports include Xfinity $200 million-10 years ($20 million per year), Camping World thru 2022 ($5 million per year)

Sprint deal for Cup is now through 2016 last reported at $75 million annual

@jeff_gluck

Will Xfinity Series have a different format? Brian France says he’ll listen to Comcast’s ideas and “fresh thinking.”

@jeff_gluck

Video and press release both trumpet young drivers competing against the best, so wouldn’t expect them to ban Cup drivers in Xfinity Series.

@nascarcasm

"Between @DaleJr's Ebay and fantasy football addictions, we were able to acquire enough in broadband fees to sign a 10-year deal." - Xfinity

Kinda weird to have a sponsor for a product that isn't available nationwide. Kinda funny to have Nascar sponsored by a product you can't buy in North Carolina.

comcast_twc_map.png

Stone Town, no different than major sponsor Sunoco --- You can't by Sunoco gas west of the Mississippi River. They run those
contests about winning Sunoco gas if you have a decal, but it's not nationwide.

Shoot, Sprint isn't even nationwide --- I have no Sprint cell service here in Texas where I live.
Comcast isn't available here, either.

Back
Top Bottom