You asked: DW's take on the ideal NASCAR schedule

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/story/you-asked-dw-s-take-on-the-ideal-nascar-schedule-072114

I always have and hopefully always will be a big believer in constructive criticism. I've always said if you just complain to be complaining, and then you are a whiner. I always prided myself that if there was a rule or a decision that NASCAR made that I didn't agree with that I voiced my concern but at the same time gave an example of a possible alternative solution. I just don't believe you can simply complain without offering up a viable solution.

I know there has been a lot of talk by most everyone about what should be done to our racing schedule and what probably will happen. Granted, I will bet you the 2015 schedule is almost already in stone and rumor has it there aren't any great surprises.

Some of my ideas I am going to give you are going to seem pretty radical. You know what, though? I think our sport is at that crossroad I was telling you about last week and maybe a radical approach is needed in some areas. A lot of these ideas aren't that new, actually. They've been knocked around in the past, but I still think some of them are viable and NASCAR should give them serious consideration.

The 800-pound gorilla in professional American sports is the National Football League. Here's the most radical thing you are going to read today. I say quit running from it but coat-tail off of it. I say let's run the Daytona 500 on the same day as the Super Bowl. I mean heck, everyone already calls the Daytona 500 our version of the "Super Bowl" so why not have them the same day?

Think about Memorial Day Weekend. They run the F1 race in Monaco in the morning, the Indianapolis 500 at lunchtime and then we run the Coca Cola 600 that evening. It is a motorsport fan's ultimate trifecta. So why couldn't we use the same model with the Daytona 500?

The Super Bowl isn't played until the evening anyway so why not literally make it a "Super Sunday?" We could start the Daytona 500 at noon or 1 p.m. and that would lead into the NFL Super Bowl. I know, you are probably sitting there saying, "That isn't going to work. No one is going to ever do that." My response to that is, "How do you know unless you try it?"

The other thing I would like NASCAR to consider is possibly starting our season earlier and ending it earlier. As it stands now, we spend January testing at various tracks, including Daytona and then wait until the Super Bowl is over before our season starts. So there are a lot of weekends in there where I think if we started the season earlier, then we could end the season earlier.

NASCAR%20Gordon%20France.vadapt.955.medium.0.jpg

DW to NASCAR: Change the schedule, leave the cars alone, use common sense

I know the first thing I would do was like I mentioned last week and that's have a string of races out west – the western swing if you will. I'd run the Daytona 500 on Super Bowl Sunday and then I would load everything up and head west for a while. Why not hit Phoenix, Fontana, Las Vegas and Sonoma in all one swing?

Now sure, some of your equipment will have to go back and forth, but not everything. Remember me telling you last week how we currently go by Texas Motor Speedway something like five times plus have to come back across the country twice to go to Bristol and Martinsville? This plan would eliminate all that time, money and effort.

I'm a big believer in synergy. I think you can capitalize on being in an area for a longer period of time than simply this hit-or-miss shotgun kind of effect. Let's tighten things up and capitalize on all the assets of being in an area for a while. The fans will know we are there. They media can build stories around us for however long we are in that area. There's just so much that can be built on.

The other thing I would do is put the short track races together. Let's do Martinsville, Bristol and Richmond one after the other after the other. We always talk about the excitement of the short tracks because of the flared tempers and possible retribution from one driver to another. Well running all three short tracks together would let all those storylines build and play out.

Things right now are too separated. We go out west and come back across the country to Martinsville. Then we go back out west and come once again back across country to go to Bristol. It just doesn't fly in my book. It's back to that common sense I was talking about last week.

If we had a western swing, well then we could have a northern tour. That would naturally include our friends at Pocono, Dover, Watkins Glen and New Hampshire Motor Speedway. We could own that region and the majority of the media coverage in that region while we are there.

Why not create our version of the Midwest Madness? You have Texas, Indianapolis, Kansas, Chicago and Kentucky Speedway. For a period of time our sport would own the coverage in the midwest. I just like the concept of grouping things up and playing off one things that happen from one week to the next in the same region.

NASCAR_452105816.vadapt.955.medium.0.jpg

Bump-n-run: FOX Staffers debate hot topics of the week

So those are just some of my suggestions of how we could fix the schedule. Like I said last week, to me our NASCAR Sprint Cup schedule should be priority No. 1 in being fixed. We don't need to change the car, the motor or whatever. Those are great but the schedule isn't.

Why can't the schedule be more efficient both in time and money? See that's what a lot of this all about. It's about all the money it's taking to crisscross the country to run these races. I suggested, as did others, years ago to Bill France Jr. that why didn't NASCAR simply open the track we are going to race at that weekend one day earlier.

It wouldn't be mandatory for you as a team to be there, but for those that wanted to come they could bring all their testing telemetry and spend the day testing at the track they are going to run at Sunday. Again, it sure seems like common sense to me than forcing these teams to run all over the country testing tracks that are "somewhat" like the track you will race at. Let them show up a day early and actually test the track they are racing on. Again, common sense would tell you that it will make your race on Saturday night or Sunday afternoon better. It sure would save these teams a bunch of money.

Why don't we also limit the number of tires a NASCAR Sprint Cup team has to use on any given weekend? They do it in the Camping World and Nationwide series to keep costs down. So if it works there, why couldn't it work in the Cup series? Limit the number of tires if you want to save money. If you don't believe me, go ask one of these car owners about their weekly tire bill expense and prepare to be stunned with the cost number they give you.

Why not evaluate the schedule and see if there aren't some venues where we could have a one-day show? You roll in. You practice, qualify and then run the race later in the day or that night. I'm just saying there are things that could be done that might seem radical on the surface but make a ton of common sense when applied.

Again, for the benefit and future of our sport I think it's high time we look at some radical changes to shake things up. Collectively we have got to figure out something to get the folks back in the grandstands and back watching at home. We are putting an unbelievable product out there on the race track. That's not the issue.

The real issue is everything else supporting it doesn't seem to be working towards maximum potential. I'm sick to death of hearing "this is good for the sport and this is a great idea." I say prove it. Show me the proof where it's helping bring fans back to the grandstands or to their couches to watch the races.

Anyway, those are just some of my ideas all be it some of them are radical. I love this week has finally arrived. We're getting ready to head to Indy for the Brickyard 400. As a kid I loved going there and dreamed of one day racing there. How special it was to me personally to be on the outside pole for my last race at the Brickyard in 2000. The history, mystic and aura of that place are so thick you feel it when you pull in the infield and Stevie and I can't wait to get there.

Some good ideas, but running the Daytona 500 on Super Bowl Sunday is a terrible idea. If there's a rain delay (as there have been in 3 of the last 6 Daytona 500's), then you're competing with the most watched television event in the country. Plus, Fox has the Super Bowl every 3 years, so there could be some scheduling conflict. The Daytona 500 on Fox Sports 1 vs. the Super Bowl on Fox would be ugly.

If they ran it the same day as the Super Bowl, I would probably not be able to watch live. Usually between shopping for booze, food prep, driving to a sb party... Sometimes a couple hours away.. That game pretty much takes up the whole day.

Furthermore, we need different tracks, not just trying to jumble them all up by region.

Atleast he is sharing his own thoughts... I'm so black helicopters though, that I imagine Brian France held DW at gunpoint while he wrote this. ;)

ole dw is usin wet noodle method i think ?

throw a bunch on wall ...see what sticks !

must kill him ta be off air so long . needs larry mac style contract ! ha!

Atleast he is sharing his own thoughts... I'm so black helicopters though, that I imagine Brian France held DW at gunpoint while he wrote this. ;)

prolly fox thoughts.......not brian ...west coast swing.
toss in a little mwr w/ test on same week end !

Some good ideas, but running the Daytona 500 on Super Bowl Sunday is a terrible idea. If there's a rain delay (as there have been in 3 of the last 6 Daytona 500's), then you're competing with the most watched television event in the country. Plus, Fox has the Super Bowl every 3 years, so there could be some scheduling conflict. The Daytona 500 on Fox Sports 1 vs. the Super Bowl on Fox would be ugly.

Not to mention, pre-game Super Bowl coverage runs for hours. If the Daytona 500 was on Super Bowl Sunday, FOX would move it to FOX Sports 1 so FOX can air the 12 hour pre-game show.

The D500 on the same day as the Super Bowl is worst idea ever. What if Jacksonville hosted it on the same day? Florida would sink into the ocean from all the tourists.

And I can't wait until NASCAR goes to a V6 and DW has to backtrack all his "Don't change the engine" bull**** to kiss their ass as usual.

Daytona needs to be ran on the weekend before the super bowl. That is literally the longest week/weekend in Sports.

Qualify and Shootout the Saturday before the AFC and NFC Championship games. Then the Duels the Thursday after Conference Championships. Then that Sunday run the 500. Take week after the 500 off for Superbowl Sunday/travel to the west coast.

Nascar could even cross promote with the NFL by inviting the two teams to Daytona for the 500.

Daytona needs to be ran on the weekend before the super bowl. That is literally the longest week/weekend in Sports.

Qualify and Shootout the Saturday before the AFC and NFC Championship games. Then the Duels the Thursday after Conference Championships. Then that Sunday run the 500. Take week after the 500 off for Superbowl Sunday/travel to the west coast.

Nascar could even cross promote with the NFL by inviting the two teams to Daytona for the 500.

ha! good outa box stuff jef.
fox sports may be callin !

Less cookie cutters, more short tracks and road courses. As far as car changes go, leave the damn engines alone. Chop the damn snow plows(splitters) and put a real nose back on. Let teams adjust the aero. No more of this one car fits all. Get back to stock car racing, instead of this cheese and wine formula 1 meets V-8 super car **** we have going on now.

This. I'm not as concerned about when they race as I am where they race.

I am concerned about when they race as well. Martinsville's dates are terrible. But, as long as that place doesn't sell out because of crappy cold miserable weather, NASCAR has an excuse for not adding more short tracks.

I am concerned about when they race as well. Martinsville's dates are terrible. But, as long as that place doesn't sell out because of crappy cold miserable weather, NASCAR has an excuse for not adding more short tracks.
Speaking of which...

Chris Myers @The_ChrisMyers
When #Nascar announces it's Cup schedule for next year I think there's a very good chance Darlington will be 2nd race following Daytona 500!

Variety is the key to success for Nascar. Larger variety of tracks is imperative. Not just in Cup, but also NW and Trucks. Give each series their identities back.

The "Chase" is here to stay, and if we're forced to embrace it, it NEEDS to change (for the better) and STAY whatever way they choose. Personally I think it's too long. And all these tiers and eliminations and whatever are lame, especially that ridiculous Homestead one-race-for-the-title deal. Here's my idea: After 30 races, reset the points for the top 10 drivers (award bonus points for wins, that's fine), plus throw in the next two drivers outside the top 10 with the most wins (yeah, the old format). There's your dozen drivers for the Chase, which is only 6 races: Bristol, Martinsville, Sonoma, Auto Club (CA), Phoenix, and Vegas. The last "regular season" race before the Chase should still be Richmond.

When you break it all down, the schedule just needs more variety and less of the cookie cutters. It's as simple as that. Oh, and quit dicking with the Chase.

Also, I think the schedule should be shorter, maybe 34 races. Have the season end in late October. Places like Kansas don't deserve two races, especially when there are so many better tracks we could add to the schedule.

Ideally I would prefer a short track (Martinsville/Bristol/Richmond/etc) to be the last race of the year, but weather conditions would make that kind of impossible. I used to be fine with Atlanta being the final race, before it was Homestead. Too bad they ruined Atlanta, otherwise that would be my suggestion.

There's some good ideas there I think, food for thought. I like grouping the races in the geographical areas and the testing the day before the race idea, closer to the conditions of the race. Tire limit would be good too, it would make/allow some of them to stay out instead of running into the pits every time there is a piece of trash on the track. that would really help the underfunded teams, they could spend their money on something else but four fresh Goodyear tires.

To be fair to NASCAR on the new track front, They've TRIED expanding but things seem to be on hold in the Pacific Northeast and the Staten Island track idea was torpedoed. Where would you guys build a new track?

To be fair to NASCAR on the new track front, They've TRIED expanding but things seem to be on hold in the Pacific Northeast and the Staten Island track idea was torpedoed. Where would you guys build a new track?

There's no need to build a new track in the Pacific Northwest. Just race at Portland.

Denver. There's no tracks within 8 hours of there. SMI bought and closed PPIR (about 90 minutes south of Denver) and they stopped racing the Busch series there with the intention of eventually building a track just outside of Denver but that has still not materialized.

Speaking of which...

Chris Myers @The_ChrisMyers
When #Nascar announces it's Cup schedule for next year I think there's a very good chance Darlington will be 2nd race following Daytona 500!
2nd race of the year this year was on March 2nd, and in Darlington the high was 73, so it might not be too cold, and i would consider going if it isn't cold, but it has the same problem as Rockingham did

Back
Top Bottom