Race 5 of 17

Race - Indianapolis 500

Location - Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Speedway, IN

Date - Sunday, May 29th

Time & TV Schedule - 12:00PM Eastern - ABC

Course Type - 2.5 Mile Oval

Distance - 200 Laps / 500 Miles

Month's Schedule -

Saturday, May 7th - Emerging Tech Day / Allison Transmission - Centennial Era Balloon Festival

12pm -9pm - Public Gates Open
12- 5pm - Emerging Tech Racing
2pm - Yoga 500
8pm - Balloon Glow
9pm - Fireworks

May 8th-11th -No Track Activity

Thursday, May 12th - Rookie Orientation Program 8:30am-2pm - Practice

Friday, May 13th - Firestone Freedom 100 Testing - 9am-1pm - Practice

Saturday, May 14th -Opening Day -Gates Open 9am -6pm
9am-3pm - Celebration of Automobiles
12pm-6pm - Practice
6pm - Condon-Skelly Celebration Dinner

Sunday, May 15-Thursday, May 19th - Practice -Gates Open 9am-6pm
12pm - 6pm - Practice

Friday, May 20th- Fast Friday - 8am-6pm Gates Open
12pm - 6pm - Practice
6:15pm Pole Day Qualifications Draw (Coca-Cola Stage)

Saturday, May 21st -Pole Day/Tom Carnegie Day
6am-6pm - Gates Open
6am-6pm - Pace Car Reunion
11am-4pm - 1st Qualifying Segment
4:30pm-6pm - Fast 9 Pole Qualifying

Sunday, May 22nd - Bump Day -IMS Armed Forces Day
8am-6pm- Gates Open
8am-6pm -Pace Car Reunion
9am-10am - Practice
12pm-6pm - Qualifying

Monday, May 23rd & Tuesday, May 24th - No Track Activity

Wednesday, May 25th - Community Day
9am-6pm - Gates Open
Thursday, May 26th -Firestone Freedom 100 Practice/Qualifying
9am-6pm - Gates Open
9am-9:45am - Firestone Indy Lights Practice
11:45am-12:30pm - Firestone Indy Lights Practice
3pm-4pm - Firestone Indy Lights Qualifying

Friday, May 27th- Miller Lite Carb Day
8am-6pm - Gates Open
11am-12:00pm - Indianapolis 500 Final Practice
12:30pm - Firestone Freedom 100 Race
1:30pm - Indy 500 Pit Stop Challenge
3:30pm - Carb Day Concert - Staind w/Papa Roach

Saturday, May 28th - AJ Foyt Day
8am-6pm - Gates Open
8:45am-9am - Chase Rookie Of The Year Candidates Q&A (Coca-Cola Stage)
9am -AJ Foyt Autograph Wristband Distribution
9am-10am - 2011 Starting Field/ Indy 500 winners Autograph Session
9am-4pm Indianapolis 500 Memorabilia Show
10am-11am - Public Driver's Meeting - Tower Terrace
11:30-11:45 - AJ Foyt Q&A (Coca-Cola Stage)
11:55-12:25pm - AJ Foyt Autograph Session -Pagoda Plaza
1pm-1:30pm - Bryan Clauson Q&A - Coca Cola Stage
1:45pm - Bryan Clauson Autograph Session

Sunday, May 29th - Race Day
6am-6pm Gates Open
9am-10:50am - IZOD Presents Hot Wheels Fearless at the 500 Stunt
9:50am - 1911 Race Cars Parade Lap
10am- Indianapolis 500 Winners Drivers' Parade Lap
11am- Past Indy 500 Winners Drive Indy 500 Winning Cars
11:30am -Driver Introductions
12:00pm - Race Starts!

2010 Race Facts

2010 Winner -#10 Dario Franchitti
2010 Pole Sitter - #3 Helio Castroneves - 224.864mph
Length Of Race - 3 hours, 5 minutes, 37 seconds
Average Speed -161.623 mph
Margin Of Victory -Under Caution
Lead Changes - 13 among 8 drivers
Caution Laps -9 for 44 laps
Fastest Lap - #12 Will Power - 225.090mph on lap 15

A map of the track..

IMSmap.jpg

I really, really, really wish I could to this, the 100th anniversary of the Indy 500. I mean really really wish

I will be down there this weekend, some of next week, and the next 2 weekends.

Here are the results of today's Rookie Orientation Program..

Rank / Car#& Driver / Speed / Lap Time / Best Lap / Total Laps

1. #4 JR Hildebrand / 221.533 / 00:40.6260 / 59/ 68
2. #8 Ho-Pin Tung / 220.477 / 00:40.8206 / 52 / 53
3. #06 James Hinchcliffe / 219.664 / 00:40.9716 / 98 / 101
4. #83 Charlie Kimball / 219.602 / 00:40.9833 / 68 / 73
5. #8 Scott Speed / 219.227 / 00:41.0534 / 36 / 37
6. #36 Pippa Mann / 219.166 / 00:41.0647 / 32 / 35
7. #18 James Jakes / 214.563 / 00:41.9457 / 48 / 51

2 hours left in this session..

Ed Carpenter is the fastest at this time with a speed of 224.786. Scott Dixon 2nd, with 224.491

Danica is sitting at 12th with a speed of 222.232

Well, it was another wet, rainy day at the track today. No activity, it was cancelled. But I got to hang out in the Andretti garage so it was still a good day..

danicaindy2011001.jpg

danicaindy2011002.jpg

Monday, May 23rd & Tuesday, May 24th - No Track Activity
i suspect monday and tuesday were left open in case they were needed for qualifying.

Good idea but im sure Versus has other programing to move onto leaving us stuck waiting to see look at the times when ever they are posted.

Versus doesn't have a lot of weekday programming, and seeing as IndyCar and NHL are NBC and VS' flagship sports leagues, I'm sure VS would use it if needed.

Simona de Silvestro involved in hard crash at Indianapolis 500 practice

12:32 p.m. - Simona De Silvestro involved in hard crash

It wasn't long after practice commenced today that a driver was involved in a horrifying accident. About 25 minutes in, something appeared to break on Simona De Silvestro's car, which sent it bouncing off the north chute and again up into the catch fence before it came to rest in the fourth turn. She was quickly helped from the burning wreckage, with fire on the track, and walked away.

DeSilvestro was awake and alert while being treated at the infield care center. She was transported to Methodist Hospital for treatment of second-degree burns on her right hand and superficial burns on her left.

De Silvestro's best of six laps was 222.192 mph in the No. 78 HVM Racing car. She entered the day ranked 39th on the speed chart.

While the rescue crew cleaned up the track, another group of men went about repairing the damaged catch fence. This will mean a lengthy delay on what looked to be the first lengthy stretch of practice since Monday.

The 22-year-old driver from Switzerland is trying to make her second 500. She started 22nd and finished 14th last year.

that was a bad crash. glad she was relatively uninjured. that girl has guts and she can drive. :)

Geez ... just saw this.

That's two bad ones for her (the other in Texas), both involving fire.

Now I'll really be rooting for her to make the race if (and when) she's medically cleared to qualify.

Some drivers are going to have problems making the 500.

Simona I dont know if she is cleared to race yet because of burns she sustained from her crash

Scott Speed apparantly had an argument about with Jay Penske about not getting up to speed quick enough and rumors are starting to spread that he has been fired.

Mike Conway who won at Long Beach has been down on speed all week and is pretty far off in speed.

Well, I was hoping Danica would of made her qualifying attempts earlier in the session but instead she will be in the heat of the day. Oh well, she is showing speed, I think she will do just fine.

Congratulations to Alex Tagliani for winning the pole position today for the Indy 500.

Unfortunately Danica did not make the top 24 today.:(

Congratulations to Alex Tagliani for winning the pole position today for the Indy 500.

Unfortunately Danica did not make the top 24 today.:(

Im pleasantly suprised Tags could out qualify all the Ganasi and Penske cars. Andretti's whole team is in deep ****. All 5 cars slow and have to wait till bump day to make it. Tommarow is going to be busy as hell.

Had to leave at the beginning of qualifying, but my wife (not a race fan) watched and filled me in. Major pole day, last minute drama. Congrats to Tags.

after/if it stops raining. pt is in. :)

danica's solidly in, marco's on the bubble.

Just before the end of qualifying, as car after car ran slow lap after slow lap, my wife said she wanted some drama. Then out came Alex Lloyd to bump Marco (which I really hoped would stick). And then he came out and followed with 4 tremendous laps to bump his way back in.

Good bump day

Good bump day
very good. i didn't think marco could beat ryan hunter-reay's time but he found enough speed somewhere. didn't sound like ryan was real happy being bumped by a teammate either. <g> oh well, that's racing. michael needs to do a major re-evaluation of his organization. team qualifying this year must have been embarrassing to him.

Been a pretty good race to this point. It's the Ganassi cars race to lose, as expected. They don't look invincible though.

national guard car on memorial weekend...was so close. Had he hit the wall maybe 100 feet further down, he could have made it to the line first...

I don't know who that guy was but that's gotta be bonehead of the year right there. Never watched any other race but I can't imagine it gets any dumber than that.

national guard car on memorial weekend...was so close. Had he hit the wall maybe 100 feet further down, he could have made it to the line first...

Major heartbreak! Lapped traffic, he probably could have just tucked in behind that car and made it, but got in the marbles and ended up in the wwll. What a bummer

Wow. In 40+ years watching racing, I don't think I've ever felt as bad for a driver as I do for JR Hildebrand. That just plain stinks for him. You can chalk it up to his inexperience, but if he never wins the 500, that will haunt him the rest of his life.

what an ending. rookie mistake trying to pass a slower car going into the corner or jr would have won easy as a rookie. still came across in 2nd. 2 good races so far today. charlotte hopefully will continue the trend.

well damn, i guess they did the jump before the race, they just horribly put together the 30 minute aftershow. Goes straight from engineering to a paid ad, without even showing the jump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY6kc3KoyeI

I haven't even watched it all yet, but I thought even the start looked like an infomercial. The only reason I even want to watch is for the jump itself.

Can't believe there isn't a better angle or video of that jump, it looked awesome.

I feel sick for the guy & that team but i'll give it to him for giving an interview because I wouldn't have been able to. How ironic that Wheldon was second in that car last year, in all my years of watching autoracing i've never seen a loss like that on a stage sooo big. Horrible, it's just not right...

Back
Top Bottom