2015 Rules Package Announced

I'm kind of interested to see how all this shakes out. I would have liked to see the splitter go bye-bye, but oh well.

Like:
Less weight
Less downforce
More control
No more team testing

Dislike:
In-car adjustments
Less HP :mad:

And about the rain tires and stuff, we probably won't touch that stuff for years. The Cup series goes to 2 road courses: One is in a desert, the other hasn't been rained out in at least 8 years (that's as long as I have been watching).

Agreed no good reason to reduce HP.

I like most of these changes, don't know about the HP change, it shouldn't make that much of a difference , but i do like less weight and downforce. Even thought this year has been a great year, there has been a lack of passing, so if these rules bring more passing, bring it on :)

Here's all the info in one spot:

NASCAR Delivers 2015 Competition Package to Teams: Following more than a year of extensive collaboration with stakeholders throughout the industry, and with a keen eye towards the future, NASCAR has finalized and delivered to teams the 2015 racing package for all three national series. "This race package represents a lot of hard work by NASCAR, the race teams, the drivers, our manufacturer partners and Goodyear," said Gene Stefanyshyn, NASCAR senior vice president of innovation and racing development. "We've remained committed to constantly looking at our racing, and the work that has been done has been aimed at getting a rules package delivered to the race teams as early as possible."
Highlighted in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series changes for 2015 are nearly 60 enhancements, including adjustments to the power train, aerodynamics and chassis that are designed to work in concert to deliver drivers more flexibility and teams more adjustability. Fans are expected to benefit from closer racing and more opportunities for drivers to pass on the track. "We have had fantastic racing so far in 2014," Stefanyshyn said. "We remain committed to constantly looking to improve it. Our fans deserve it and our industry is pushing for it. That will not stop with the 2015 package; the development will continue over many years to come."
NASCAR will institute a shorter rear spoiler in its 2015 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series package, which also includes a reduction of engine power, lower rear differential gear ratios and an optional driver adjustable track bar.
Based on the success of group qualifying formats, which were introduced in 2014 for all national series, NASCAR also announced that group qualifying will be utilized for the first time for the Daytona 500.
Additional changes for the 2015 rules include the elimination of team-facilitated private testing, with race teams being instead invited to participate in NASCAR / Goodyear tests throughout the season. NASCAR also will work alongside Goodyear to introduce rain tires should conditions warrant during road course events in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series in 2015.
"We're very pleased with the rules package and what it will do for our racing," said Steve O'Donnell, NASCAR executive vice president and chief racing development officer. "We're confident it will continue to generate great racing, along with continuous safety improvements. The work alongside our industry has been unprecedented. We've had great dialogue with our drivers and teams, our manufacturers and Goodyear, allowing us to build greater efficiencies into the 2015 rules package. We've met our goal of delivering rules to teams with time to prepare for next season and we're seeing the benefits of an updated process for developing our rules paying dividends. It will only continue to improve."(NASCAR)(9-23-2014)
  • Fact Sheet 2015 Rules Package: Nearly 60 different enhancements / updates have been made to the NASCAR national series rules packages for 2015 in the following areas:
    · New Rules, with one or more of the following goals in mind: enriched competition, improved safety, reduced cost, enhanced product relevance and environmental (green) improvements.
    Enhanced Enforcement of Existing Rules
    · New Officiating Processes
    · Newly Approved Parts
    · Updated Business Processes
    The following are among the significant updates to the competition package.
    Testing
    There will be a NASCAR-mandated ban on all team-initiated private testing in 2015
    · Teams will be invited to participate in NASCAR / Goodyear tests
    · NASCAR will not conduct a test at Daytona International Speedway prior to the Daytona 500
    Rules
    · 2015 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Race Package includes:
    -- Reduction of horsepower to 725 via tapered spacer
    -- Roller valve lifters to replace flat valve lifter
    -- Lower rear differential gear ratios targeting 9,000 RPM
    -- Rear spoiler adjustment to 6 inches high (2014 height: 8 inches)
    -- Optional driver adjustable track bar
    -- 38-inch wide radiator pan
    -- Minimum vehicle weight drops 50 lbs. via ballast reduction (2014 weight: 3,300 w/o driver)
    -- Updated qualifying formats for all tracks
    · Rain tires on road courses, similar to rules in place for the NASCAR XFINITY Series and NASCAR Camping World Truck Series; mandatory wipers, defogger and rear flashing rain light installed for the event weekend New Officiating Processes
    · Data Log and Capture System for pre-race inspections
    · Automated pit road officiating at race events
    Newly Approved Parts
    · Revised brake calipers
    Updated Business Processes
    · Electronic rule book
    · New parts approval process
    (NASCAR)(9-23-2014)

Agreed no good reason to reduce HP.

Kyle Busch is a "momentum" driver, his skills were honed driving under powered late models.............................. A good reason IMO Greg :D
That and they cant hook that power up anyway so why have it

I think the HP reduction is going to be very noticeable. Almost 200HP less is going to produce some very obvious results.
Current NNS cars have 700HP.

And about the rain tires and stuff, we probably won't touch that stuff for years. The Cup series goes to 2 road courses: One is in a desert, the other hasn't been rained out in at least 8 years (that's as long as I have been watching).
I would think they would have Goodyear make more rain tires only if they were seriously considering adding more road courses in the near future.

There will be a NASCAR-mandated ban on all team-initiated private testing in 2015

How about a Chevy,Ford or Toyota initiated test???????????

How about a Chevy,Ford or Toyota initiated test???????????
Press release said that NASCAR/Goodyear testing will still be allowed.

any details on " officiating process " changes in bf post above ? automated pit road officials ....etc

in car track bar adj ......gonna be a hoot ...for many drivers...1st yr ! brake bias was tuff enuff ! ha!

any details on " officiating process " changes in bf post above ? automated pit road officials ....etc

in car track bar adj ......gonna be a hoot ...for many drivers...1st yr ! brake bias was tuff enuff ! ha!

A new video analytics system for officiating the pits (judging whether cars enter the box correctly and lug nuts properly are tightened on tires), which is being tested during the Chase for the Sprint Cup. The 2015 system will rely on enhanced cameras and software that will be analyzed by eight officials in a high-tech trailer. A half-dozen officials still will roam the pits for communication with teams.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ge-2015-less-horsepower-testing-ban/16104163/

It'll be interesting to see who opts for the in-car track bar adjusting and who doesn't. Last month Gordon said he wants the team to limit how much he can adjust because he used to dial himself out of being competitive in his open wheel days.

I think the HP reduction is going to be very noticeable. Almost 200HP less is going to produce some very obvious results.
Current NNS cars have 700HP.
If you read what Robert Yates has to say, Nascar is only mandating the plate, what horsepower you can make with it on there is up to the engine builders.

Last edited:
If you read what Robert Yates has to say, Nascar is only mandating the plate, what horsepower you can make with it on there is up to the engine builders...shine up the flow bench and break out the CNC's.
It will be interesting to see what they can do. A motor is nothing more than an air pump.

i thought they were running roller everything this whole time. Wow these engine builders are impressive.

some of these rule changes do not mean what they say. Changing the rear end ratios for 9,000 RPM..yeah right. If they can turn 9500 with flat tappets, rollers can turn an engine way higher than that without floating the valves. So reducing horsepower is kind of a joke if you can turn higher RPM's

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ge-2015-less-horsepower-testing-ban/16104163/

It'll be interesting to see who opts for the in-car track bar adjusting and who doesn't. Last month Gordon said he wants the team to limit how much he can adjust because he used to dial himself out of being competitive in his open wheel days.

thanks fl........nascar announced cut backs on officials #'s comin in '15 .....earlier this yr.
their new deal sounds sorta like new replay team in ny ...in nfl.... huh ?

some of these rule changes do not mean what they say. Changing the rear end ratios for 9,000 RPM..yeah right. If they can turn 9500 with flat tappets, rollers can turn an engine way higher than that without floating the valves. So reducing horsepower is kind of a joke if you can turn higher RPM's

not w/ 9,000 ecu rev limiter . ??

Yeah , I think with a lower rear end ratio, that means more speed per RPM, less weight will be in the car, I don't think they will be that much slower over all. They aren't supposed to handle better I guess? With the smaller spoiler I guess they won't stir up the air as much, but the rear end is going to be lighter down force with the smaller spoiler.

I'd like to see a new engine...be interesting. But this is the cheap way to go...

Pretty sure that this is a stop gap. Thinking that a new engine is 2-3 years out. 60-70 years out after Kauffman and the kids weigh in.

I don't see anything about limiting the RPM's, that hasn't been a Nascar thing but an engine saving thing put on by the engine builders

i stand corrected........ w/ full read of rule changes, "rear gear targeting 9,000. "
hopefully this'll help jgr / roush / rcr / etc run w/ hms / penske next yr. ??

Kyle Busch is a "momentum" driver, his skills were honed driving under powered late models.............................. A good reason IMO Greg :D
That and they cant hook that power up anyway so why have it

This right here. Mat that bitch, and let it ride ************! Might see a bit more on the high side baby!!!!!

I know @Revman will be disappointed. He wanted a purpose built new engine. Is there something in the rules to prevent a team from building a new engine that makes 725 hp?

Knew my dream was dead months ago. Spacer will be interesting. I disagree with those who don't see the difference with the HP reductions.....I think it will make a difference in terms of throttle on/throttle off. Think Nationwide.

I don't see anything about limiting the RPM's, that hasn't been a Nascar thing but an engine saving thing put on by the engine builders

Roller lifters might not stand much more rpm than that

People that want less downforce but cry when they see the HP reduction.

Doesnt a HP reduction result in less downforce?

It sounds like they are going in the right direction with putting the racing back into the driver's hands instead of the engineer's.

People that want less downforce but cry when they see the HP reduction.

Doesnt a HP reduction result in less downforce?

Not really, I mean I guess because the speeds will be reduced but that'll be minimal. The cars are still designed to travel through the air like bullets....

Roller lifters might not stand much more rpm than that
you can run a much higher lift cam with rollers, and do more with your cam with roller lifters. GM for one has been putting roller lifters in their V8's for over 20 years. Surprised me that Nascar engines were running flat tappets..oh well, should have known they just changed from carbs to fuel injection that they outlawed in 58.

Knew my dream was dead months ago. Spacer will be interesting. I disagree with those who don't see the difference with the HP reductions.....I think it will make a difference in terms of throttle on/throttle off. Think Nationwide.

(note: long response post warning, lots of scrambled thoughts hopefully not to hard on a readers patience. My biased effort with its limitations at seeing the context )

I agree we will see a difference, but the positive momentum thing isn't worth the other losses imo.
I want over powered cars that demand and get the most rapid deacceleration into and acceleration off the corners. I realize losing tenths of a second is next impossible to see with the naked eye and I don't care about that point. But the deacceleration/ acceleration ratio is very apparent and it is something to fight for keeping.

And loosing that basic crude beauty would be a true loss. It does take skill to keep the momentum but it isn't as interesting as watching more overpowered cars that are struggling to work their way through the corners. I also think it is a more diverse type of racing with more strategic approaches than just maintaining momentum.

The more overpowered cars will have more trying to out dive a driver into the corner, and others who are quicker off the corners. Momentum racing is more unforgiving and conforming you can't try as many lines because getting out of sequence is to just costly, hence you are more regulated and less risk taking. Track position will matter more than ever.

In simple terms they will be more bland spec cars, than a pure beastly race car. You can even momentum drive a 1973 Pinto or Vega because you need more speed down the Hill to go up the next Hill. While something that has too much entry and exit speed is more pure as a race car.

I believe the new rules are just more band aids for 1.5mile cookie cutters, Michigan and California. An effort to turn them into mini RP tracks. It will make for more pack racing, and it might help those tracks. But I would not trade any of that for the lost power throughout the schedule. The cars will be less beastly at places like Martinsville, the road courses, Pocono etc, and I do think less power hurts these tracks.

Technology is a Heaven/Hell thing in racing. The raw brutal power and it's beauty is the allure. The thing gets our blood going, at least it should be in my mind, otherwise I have totally missed something huge. But we can no longer have unadulterated power Otherwise Indy Cars would be 250 + down the Indy straights, maybe the corners too and still obliterating drivers in the style of the 60's and 70's. Cup cars would probably do 240 at the current RP tracks and a flyer(s) would have already produced a Lemans type of tragedy.

Wisdom had to sadly deal with those power and speed issues, but that almost thankless task was a requirement not some pointless change. We now have the safest car we have ever had and I don't think the HP reduction in this case has a thing to do with that concern. Without that concern I just cannot see the value, and something wonderful is needlessly getting sacrificed.

I hope I am proven wrong, but it is hard to know, Nascar's muzzling system will force us to wait and see, and the comments from those in the loop have their limitations. We will just have to hope for the best, there are a lot variables and this grand experiment is here to play out like it or not. With all the variables it is probably a 50/50 thing.

The only sure thing is that racing is great with a lot of elusive qualities, and that we as fans will continue to nitpick.
If this does work, I still have plenty of ammo to keep the hate on Brian.

Back
Top Bottom