2016 24 Hours of Le Mans

I don't recall knowing about Ford's manipulation of the finish at the time it happened, but that was a real world class **** up. Ford tried to stage a tie between their #2 and #1 cars. Yes, an official tie, LOL. At the last second, #2 driven by Bruce McLaren spurted ahead to steal the win. But the #1 (Ken Miles & Denis Hulme) were the legitimate winners, having slowed in the final stint to give up a one-lap lead to stage the tie. McLaren's dick move is proof that racing drivers have always been eager to steal from teammates... it's not a new thing. But Ford management was the real bad actor in this deal, lying to Ken Miles about their intentions.
I don't remember the race but I read about it. I don't know if it was the Ford photo op but a team staging the checker flag had the second place car get the win because they started farther back in the field and the staging of the checkers allowed the car to travel a longer distance than the real winner (got the pay attention to the odd LeMans rules). But that story could be folk lore.

As the finish approached, the idea of an official tie was off the table, although it is not clear whether the drivers knew that. I believe McLaren crossed the line ahead of Miles, rather than the alternative of McLaren crossed the line in second but was declared the winner by the "distance rule." And all the photos support that. In either event, it is beyond question that Miles in car #1 led McLaren in car #2 by approximately one lap as the final stint started. In the final stint, Miles slowed his pace dramatically (~10 sec./lap) just to allow McLaren to catch up for the finish line photo. Reportedly, he was furious at the order to slow for the photo op, and who could blame him.

June 18 (all times ET and subject to change):
FS1 8:30 AM to 2:00 PM
FS2 2:00 PM to 4:30 PM
FS2 6:00 PM to 6:30 PM
FS2 7:00 PM to 7:30 PM
FS2 10:30 PM to 2:30 AM (June 19)
FS1 2:30 AM to 9:30 AM (June 19)

*The entire race is streamed live on FOX Sports GO
*Update*

The 8:30-11 AM portion of the first block has been moved from FS1 to FS2 to make room for US Open golf coverage after their weather delays. The entirety of the race is still available on FOX Sports Go as long as you have FS1.

Are you sure the race start will be televised on fs1 at 8 30? There's golf from now till 11am. ****?

*Update*

The 8:30-11 AM portion of the first block has been moved from FS1 to FS2 to make room for US Open golf coverage after their weather delays. The entirety of the race is still available on FOX Sports Go as long as you have FS1.

Fox is such a piece of **** network.

Unless you're 70 no one watches golf.

I have a solid YouTube stream going right now thankfully.

About to hit the first hour mark and they're still unde pace car. What a terrible and underwhelming start.

The #7 Audi R18 is already in the garage.
This is where the diesel scandal really comes into play, VAG having to drop the third entries for financial reasons. Already down to one bullet for Audi pretty much.

You can pretty much guarantee a P2 car lands in the top five overall at the finish now.

This is where the diesel scandal really comes into play, VAG having to drop the third entries for financial reasons. Already down to one bullet for Audi pretty much.

You can pretty much guarantee a P2 car lands in the top five overall at the finish now.

Well, it should have been expected to take somewhat of a financial toll. To drop the third entry is a bit surprsing though. I did not notice that, but both Porsche and Audi dropped their third entries?

Hartley is one mad fast mofo in sports cars. His open-wheel racing career fell apart, but damn this guy is quick.

I hate my phone sometimes, fking auto correct.

Last edited:
Well, it should have been expected to take somewhat of a financial toll. To drop the third entry is a bit surprsing though. I did not notice that, but both Porsche and Audi dropped their third entries?
Yeah, they came to an agreement between each other to both drop the third car at Spa and Le Mans for this year. Hopefully it returns in a year or two.

Talk about a relief for Toyota though.

About to hit the first hour mark and they're still unde pace car. What a terrible and underwhelming start.
The start was lame, 52 minutes of pace car. Sorry, girls, this is supposed to be endurance racing. Pace car for one lap = sighting lap to check conditions, then go green. Just my $0.02.

Kamui Koboyashi is a beast.

I just wanted to say that dude was putting down some insane laps. At one point he beat Webber's fastest lap by four tenths.

That's getting it.

#67 Ford already in the garage lol.

Wonder how long it takes for them all to break.
FL, why are you hating on Ford? Isn't it better to have more manufacturers racing, rather than less? And isn't a new American outfit welcome? Don't be like the Nascar fans hating on Toyota, LOL.

Hey, and one question... Are all four Fords are owned and raced by Ganassi? I know Ganassi is listed as owner of both the IMSA team and the WEC team. Is the WEC team run by Ganassi employees, or is it contracted to a UK-based race team? YIA.

FL, why are you hating on Ford? Isn't it better to have more manufacturers racing, rather than less? And isn't a new American outfit welcome? Don't be like the Nascar fans hating on Toyota, LOL.

Hey, and one question... Are all four Fords are owned and raced by Ganassi? I know Ganassi is listed as owner of both the IMSA team and the WEC team. Is the WEC team run by Ganassi employees, or is it contracted to a UK-based race team? YIA.

He's a Corvette fan and dislikes Ganassi to a certain extent.

He wasn't hating, just with reliability issues out of the gate it raises red flags. Still a lot of racing to go and anything can happen.

I don't think the Vette will keep pace with the GT40.

I'm all for them if they decide to stick around past 2017. But I haven't seen anything that indicates more than a two-year commitment and a desire to win anything other than Le Mans. It'll leave a bad taste in the mouths of many people if they just show up for a couple of years, win a race or two, and then bail. Like the Viper program on a significantly grander scale. Especially when the other makes Corvette, Ferrari, Aston Martin, and Porsche are mainstays in GT racing.

I don't think Ganassi has much to do with the UK program, Multimatic runs that team. They just race under the Ganassi banner.

I'm all for them if they decide to stick around past 2017....
Good answer to my question, thanks. Ford has shown long term commitment to racing, but I get your point about not showing that for GT racing. I do think targeting mainly Le Mans rather than season-long championships is something that numerous competitors have done for a long, long time. It's like the long tradition of teams to target the Indy 500 (not so many today, but over the years many top quality Indy-only efforts.)

I'm pulling for Ford and Corvette (because American) and Ferrari (because Ferrari fan over 50 years). LOL, my odds for this Le Mans are pretty good. Also pulling for Toyota in P1, because VAG is run by sleazy cheats. BTW, you have to admit both VAG brands are in it mainly for Le Mans.

I will admit to lack of respect for BMW over their habit of jumping in "for the long haul" and then changing their mind and jumping out just as fast. Main examples are F1 and World Superbike. Bleh.

Starting to get light out.

What's this noise about Chip Ganassi being the new Carroll Shelby? He's barely been affiliated with Ford other than this venture. That title can't make Chevy happy.

Watching this race is making me nostalgic for my motorcycle club racing days from the 1970's and 1980's. We often ran a 4-hour or 6-hour endurance race after practice sessions on Saturday, and then a full slate of sprint races on Sunday. I loved the feeling of settling "into the zone" over the long races. I teamed up with my partner Gary Marshall for the enduros, and we rode his bikes most of the time. Did better in the enduros than the sprints most of the time. I hated sprints in the rain, for example, but really enjoyed longer stints in the wet. Sorry for the nostalgia, I'm done now...:oops:

Good answer to my question, thanks. Ford has shown long term commitment to racing, but I get your point about not showing that for GT racing. I do think targeting mainly Le Mans rather than season-long championships is something that numerous competitors have done for a long, long time. It's like the long tradition of teams to target the Indy 500 (not so many today, but over the years many top quality Indy-only efforts.)

I'm pulling for Ford and Corvette (because American) and Ferrari (because Ferrari fan over 50 years). LOL, my odds for this Le Mans are pretty good. Also pulling for Toyota in P1, because VAG is run by sleazy cheats. BTW, you have to admit both VAG brands are in it mainly for Le Mans.

I will admit to lack of respect for BMW over their habit of jumping in "for the long haul" and then changing their mind and jumping out just as fast. Main examples are F1 and World Superbike. Bleh.
It's definitely a thing, especially for LMP1 programs, although not so much for GT teams. Porsche definitely came back to prototype racing mainly to win Le Mans again, although they've always shown a huge commitment to GT racing. And if they or Audi drop in the next few years I'm sure they'd still be big factors in GT racing. It just seems like this Ford program has more of a boom-or-bust mentality to it than most other programs in memory. I do think it's cool they decided to come back in the first place, though. It's certainly generated a lot of interest and is a great tribute to their 60's efforts.

+1...BMW Sauber, oh man.

It's definitely a thing, especially for LMP1 programs, although not so much for GT teams. Porsche definitely came back to prototype racing mainly to win Le Mans again, although they've always shown a huge commitment to GT racing. And if they or Audi drop in the next few years I'm sure they'd still be big factors in GT racing. It just seems like this Ford program has more of a boom-or-bust mentality to it than most other programs in memory. I do think it's cool they decided to come back in the first place, though. It's certainly generated a lot of interest and is a great tribute to their 60's efforts.

+1...BMW Sauber, oh man.

I don't think Sauber will ever fully recover from that...

That was a LOT of funding gone down the drain for them afterwards. Really felt sorry for them after they pulled out prematurely.

Back
Top Bottom