2016 Cup Rookie of the year

Johali

Team Owner
Contributor
We had a Blaney vs Elliott thread but It must have been lost in the forum meltdown. During the off season there was a heated debate about who would prevail in the ROY shootout. I wish it was still available so I could grill and plate up some crow. Their 17 best finishes are all that count toward the ROY so I'll just list those so far. It looks like Chase is going to be the winner. :)

Chase Elliott- 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 5th, 5th, 6th, 8th, 8th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 12th, 12th

Ryan Blaney- 4th, 4th, 5th, 6th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 10th, 11th, 11th, 11th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 14th, 17th

They both seem to be having decent seasons. Really wish Blaney could've gotten in to the chase, and maybe even picked up a win.

It's a shame he couldn't snag a win this year, still has a great chance this weekend.

They're no doubt going to be a team to reckon with next season.

it won't surprise me to see Chase take over the most popular driver title soon.
That was my original bold prediction but dpkimmel said it had to be during the year

Even if he doesn't get one, it's no biggie. Gordon didn't win in his rookie season either, and we all see how that turned out.

Exactly. People always talk about "The Gordon Model" for Young Gun success, but then fast-forward to Tony Stewart for the first season expectations. Let us also never forget that Gordon failed to finish 20 times in his first two seasons, almost all of which was either him driving into the wall or ripping the engine/suspension/other mechanical components apart out of inexperience.

Based on that, Chase Elliott is actually ahead of his own predecessor's curve.

If Chase can not win in a top car while Blaney is driving a part time ride that only made the full season this year for the first time in Years, then what would be expected?
I think Blaney did as much or more in poorer equipment.

Kind of reminds me of Junior winning 2 championships against Kenseth driving for his fathers team. Then Kenseth wins a Cup Championship which Dale has never been able to do.
ROY means squat.

If Chase can not win in a top car while Blaney is driving a part time ride that only made the full season this year for the first time in Years, then what would be expected?

Kind of reminds me of Junior winning 2 championships against Kenseth driving for his fathers team. Then Kenseth wins a Cup Championship which Dale has never been able to do.
ROY means squat.

That part time ride has been essentially Penske Racing North this year.

Not quite, I read some where that young Blaney was using Joey's cars from last year.
Sorry I can't offer a link to that.

Not quite, I read some where that young Blaney was using Joey's cars from last year.
Sorry I can't offer a link to that.
No link required. Every team often use cars built prior to the current season.

Blaney's equipment and engineering is on par with everything the Penske drivers use. If there's a difference, I'd guess it would be in human resources in the shop and at the track. jmo, of course.

ROY means squat.
Ehhh...I think you're reaching here. He didn't win, but competed for wins and had race winning cars in about 7 races or so. Inexperience played a part some, as did just flat out misfortune. It's tough to win. Look at how long some of these guys go between victories and how often their bids for wins get derailed in-race. Truex for example.

I used to like when they released the chassis selection from week to week. Not sure why that stopped but it was kind of interesting to know the history of the rides.
Loved looking at that too. From what I gathered, too many teams stopped making that info public and it caused Jayski to just scrap the whole thing versus keeping it up week to week for just a handful of teams.

However by winning ROTY, Chase will be among prestigious company such as Kevin Conway, Andy Lally, Regan Smith, Brett Moffitt, and Stephen Liecht.
And then there were these washouts that couldn't make in Nascar.

2009 Joey Logano

2007 Juan Pablo Montoya

2006 Denny Hamlin

2005 Kyle Busch

2004 Kasey Kahne

2003 Jamie McMurray

2002 Ryan Newman

2001 Kevin Harvick

2000 Matt Kenseth

1999 Tony Stewart

1993 Jeff Gordon

1987 Davey Allison

1986 Alan Kulwicki

1985 Ken Schrader

1984 Rusty Wallace

1983 Sterling Marlin

1979 Dale Earnhardt

1977 Ricky Rudd

1967 Donnie Allison

1960 David Pearson

1959 Richard Petty

2009 Joey Logano

2007 Juan Pablo Montoya

2006 Denny Hamlin

2005 Kyle Busch

2004 Kasey Kahne

2003 Jamie McMurray

2002 Ryan Newman

2001 Kevin Harvick

2000 Matt Kenseth

1999 Tony Stewart

1993 Jeff Gordon

1987 Davey Allison

1986 Alan Kulwicki

1985 Ken Schrader

1984 Rusty Wallace

1983 Sterling Marlin

1979 Dale Earnhardt

1977 Ricky Rudd

1967 Donnie Allison

1960 David Pearson

1959 Richard Petty

Yep, pretty mediocre bunch there :sarcasm: :D

2009 Joey Logano

2007 Juan Pablo Montoya

2006 Denny Hamlin

2005 Kyle Busch

2004 Kasey Kahne

2003 Jamie McMurray

2002 Ryan Newman

2001 Kevin Harvick

2000 Matt Kenseth

1999 Tony Stewart

1993 Jeff Gordon

1987 Davey Allison

1986 Alan Kulwicki

1985 Ken Schrader

1984 Rusty Wallace

1983 Sterling Marlin

1979 Dale Earnhardt

1977 Ricky Rudd

1967 Donnie Allison

1960 David Pearson

1959 Richard Petty
Yeah, them too. :D

They both seem to be having decent seasons. Really wish Blaney could've gotten in to the chase, and maybe even picked up a win.

I like both Chase and Ryan and hope they are both around for many years as they both look like keepers to me.

Reactions: sdj
Heck, I hope I am around for a couple years more to not only see them boys make their mark but also to see the privileged drivers retire.

CxyodQEW8AAdzUI.jpg:large

Chase Elliott didn’t win a race but he still conclude up his rookie season in the Sprint Cup Series with several memorable accomplishments.

Following Sunday night’s season finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway, NASCAR officially named Elliott the series’ rookie of the year.

Elliott, the 20-year-old son of NASCAR Hall of Famer Bill Elliott, finished 10th in the series standings and qualified for the championship Chase.

He ended the year with two poles and 10 top-five and 17 top-10 finishes in 36 starts, including a pair of runner-up finishes, both at Michigan International Speedway.

http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cu...earn-rookie-of-the-year-honors-in-cup-852513/

Had a much better rookie year than I and a lot of people every thought he would. He and Alan look to be a very good driver/CC duo for years to come.

Already pumped for 2017!

Straight up, the correct Rookie won ROTY! Young man did a hell of a job this year, as they say, this apple did not fall too far from the tree.

And young Blaney did an outstanding job for a non charter one car team, the boy is way way better than his dad.

I wonder if they switched rides the same guy would win. Great equipment makes a guy look awful good.
Congratulations to Chase.

Straight up, the correct Rookie won ROTY! Young man did a hell of a job this year, as they say, this apple did not fall too far from the tree.

And young Blaney did an outstanding job for a non charter one car team, the boy is way way better than his dad.

Dad was in some crappy cars, Dave always had ability, just no luck when it came to cars.

Ryan's first year would probably be the best car Dave has ever been in Cup.

@Team Penske Ryan was in a third Penske car, both of them did great IMHO and both had top notch cars.

Another question: will he win most popular driver since Earnhardt was out for half the season? I suspect Earnhardt will still take it but might be more interesting...

Back
Top Bottom