2016 Indianapolis - Combat Wounded Coalition 400 - Pre Race Thread

I wonder if some day the powers that be @ Indy will think that it's time to ask NASCAR to leave? Maybe it's time for NASCAR to be proactive. I'm not one of the empty seat counters. I'm only talking about the on track product. There's not much about that track that has an appeal to the average NASCAR fan. Obvious by its lack of support.
I recall that tracks have to apply for races. It wouldn't take any effort on IMS's part to just not send in the paperwork. But before they took that non-step, I'd love to see them try running the infield road course.

Whatever happened to the plan to add 8' to the apron in each of the corners to permit a racing line more friendly to stock cars? This deal was only going to cost $1 million. A Jayski report dated June 25, 2014...

Indianapolis Motor Speedway will delay apron project: Seldom has an eight-foot-wide stretch of asphalt been so anticipated and yet so delayed. But as preparations build for next month's NASCAR race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, track officials have decided another year must pass without the apron, the proposed racing room below the white boundary line in each corner. The reason: NASCAR officials want time to study the effects of changes made to the track. The Brickyard 400 is July 27. IMS had planned to begin apron installation June 9, the day after its vintage car weekend, but NASCAR thought that was too late. "They asked if we could postpone (the project) so they could test it," IMS president Doug Boles said Tuesday. "We said, 'That makes sense; we understand that.' " Boles said the heavy Indiana winter delayed several IMS projects, including the installation the asphalt sections totaling more than a mile in length. With spring-like weather late to arrive, IMS officials didn't want to risk the added surface not being ready for Indianapolis 500 activities in May.

I recall that tracks have to apply for races. It wouldn't take any effort on IMS's part to just not send in the paperwork. But before they took that non-step, I'd love to see them try running the infield road course.
Pretty sure the Speedway is under contract for another 4 years.

Cn5n9qfUsAAkq-t.jpg:large

I love this race because you can't hide a bad car here. 2014 was flat ass painful for me. The most gratifying part of 2015 was TRD's speed down the straights. One year absolute ass kicking, the next my guys were pulling it. Just awesome. I still have no clue what "good racing" means, and I really don't care. I love this place, and I love NASCAR at this place. I don't give a **** how many people come, how many people bitch, or what the ratings are. I just want my TRD Toyotas fast as hell, and I want that damn trophy...again. Enjoy the weekend everybody!

I love this race because you can't hide a bad car here. 2014 was flat ass painful for me. The most gratifying part of 2015 was TRD's speed down the straights. One year absolute ass kicking, the next my guys were pulling it. Just awesome. I still have no clue what "good racing" means, and I really don't care. I love this place, and I love NASCAR at this place. I don't give a sh!t how many people come, how many people bitch, or what the ratings are. I just want my TRD Toyotas fast as hell, and I want that damn trophy...again. Enjoy the weekend everybody!
Yeah, we know.

I just never warmed up to it from the outset........... :(
Nor I have, I am sure it has to do with not being a open wheel fan, but IMS is not a tack that tickle's my fancy if you will, I would love to see it removed from the Cup/lite schedule soon.

Or, if it must stay, run the darn road course

Hell, comforter too. This is the first time I have air conditioning, HD cable with DVR (Vue is awesome), a giant big ass TV and a comfortable bed for my favorite nap of the year.

FRIDAY, JULY 22:

ON TRACK: INDIANAPOLIS
-- noon-1:25 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series first practice, NBCSN (Follow live)
-- 1:30 p.m.-2:55 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series first practice, NBCSN (Follow live)
-- 3-3:55 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series final practice, NBCSN (Follow live)
-- 4-5:25 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series final practice, NBCSN (Follow live)

PRESS CONFERENCES (Watch live)

-- 10:30 a.m.: Jeff Gordon
-- 11 a.m.: Wood Brothers
-- 11:30 a.m.: Kyle Busch
-- 11:45 a.m.: Roush Fenway Racing
-- 12:15 p.m.: Ryan Newman
-- 12:30 p.m.: Jimmie Johnson
-- 12:45 p.m.: Tony Stewart

GARAGECAM (Watch live)
-- 11:30 a.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series
-- 1 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series

@NASCAR_WXMAN

Going to go odds of racing SAT and SUN 75-80% Timing & number of storms (if any form) is the challenge

Flashback to the Brickyard 400 @ IMS.

86 - # of cars that attempted to qualify for the field of 43 - eff Charters
350,000 - butts in the seats
0.53 - Margin of victory on a 26 lap green flag tun to the finish
6 - Cautions for 25 laps
21 - Lead changes among 13 drivers
5 - Lead changes over the 26 lap green flag run to the finish
2 - debris cautions

Lot of numbers. Some interesting ones I thought. 86 cars attempting the race? Man, are those days long gone!

I'm really curious to see how the low-downforce package does here. It will be quite a contrast from last year. Does anyone know how fast the corner speeds typically are? Also, yay for 4 real turns.

Loose is fast.

Or can be. The difference in downforce is pretty significant.

I'm really curious to see how the low-downforce package does here. It will be quite a contrast from last year. Does anyone know how fast the corner speeds typically are? Also, yay for 4 real turns.
183-184 last year in testing. 190 middle of the corner. 185-190 on exit turns 2 & 4.

from here

@MartySmithESPN

Tony Stewart just told me it’s been quite a long time since he felt this confident and competitive.

I think they dip into the 150s in race pace.

Getting my pillows washed and fluffed for my favorite nap. :)

Nobody cared the first 27 times you said it, and nobody cares now. You think this race is boring, we get it.

If you're a racing fan, you should at least give the new package a chance before you already decide the 2016 race is garbage.

Back
Top Bottom