2016 NASCAR Season - Television Ratings Thread

I worry about as much about his as I do Brian France.

My BIL is British and and F1 follower and some of my relatives down under are fans too but I would guess The Partridge Family reruns would get better ratings head to head.

I passed on that game faster than a waitress picks up a hundred dollar tip and don't know what the outcome was.
That game, comparatively, was worse than the worst brickyard race you can think of.
If you look up dumpster fire in the dictionary, you'll see a picture of any part of this game next to the definition.

That game, comparatively, was worse than the worst brickyard race you can think of.
If you look up dumpster fire in the dictionary, you'll see a picture of any part of this game next to the definition.

Yeah, I love football but I could not bring myself to watching last night's game and I really miss Mike Tirico in the booth too.

At least one household - mine - chose NBC/SN for the Charlotte Cup race, followed by the Xfinity on same channel.

I confess, I've not been watching much of the races the last few weeks. I did watch a good chunk of Sunday's on NBC though. But combine the absence of my favorite driver (Dale Jr.) with the fact that my favorite football team (Raiders) is actually good and winning games this year, football has really held more of my attention lately. Not having your favorite to root for each week really saps a lot of the fun from racing.

@nbc earned a 2.0 overnight for yesterday's @NASCAR SCS #HC400 @kansasspeedway, down 9% from last year's 2.2.

I believe that translates to about 3.6 million viewers which is what the race did in 2014 with ESPN broadcasting so it really isn't that bad. Considering the other chase races had not eclipsed the 3 million viewer mark this is definitely a win and if YoY trends continue Talladega should have about 3.75 million viewers next week.

I read that the NFL is down about 10% from last year.

I have read the same thing and there are several theories being floated such as bad match ups, election coverage, too many games and goodness knows what else. The NFL is justifiably concerned and lets just hope that Roger Goodell and the owners don't implement a Chase system, free passes and wave arounds and caution clocks.

Less fans in the stands and at home worked out well for Nascar as they made a killing on broadcast rights and maybe the NFL is trying to emulate them. If NFL stadiums start ripping out seats we will know exactly what they are up to......:D

well thats good news higher viewership does anyone know what the races on TNT rating were?

well thats good news higher viewership does anyone know what the races on TNT rating were?

In 2008 the races on TNT had about 5.75 million viewers, 2009 5.4, 2010, 4.8 million, 2012 5 million

Approximate number of viewers for cup races on TNT in millions

2008: 5.75

2009: 5.40

2010: 4.80

2011: 5.15

2012: 5.00

2013: 4.60

2014: 3.90

The NFL's dip this season is notable, and it will be interesting to see how that situation develops. It is also important to understand the context that NFL ratings have been rising year after year for more than a decade, to record highs just last year. NASCAR ratings have been decreasing year after year for a decade, with an accelerating decline the past three years.

With the NFL, the primetime showcase games seem to be suffering the most. Viewership for Sunday afternoon games, which are the highest rated games, are trending back toward even or up. The people really digging into the numbers are discovering that about the same number of people are watching the NFL, but spending somewhat less time doing so. I wish that were true of NASCAR, but more often than not, it isn't.

well thats good news higher viewership does anyone know what the races on TNN rating were in 1997

The NFL's dip this season is notable, and it will be interesting to see how that situation develops. It is also important to understand the context that NFL ratings have been rising year after year for more than a decade, to record highs just last year. NASCAR ratings have been decreasing year after year for a decade, with an accelerating decline the past three years.

With the NFL, the primetime showcase games seem to be suffering the most. Viewership for Sunday afternoon games, which are the highest rated games, are trending back toward even or up. The people really digging into the numbers are discovering that about the same number of people are watching the NFL, but spending somewhat less time doing so. I wish that were true of NASCAR, but more often than not, it isn't.

Some of the prime time match ups have been lacking to me and I chose to watch hockey last night instead of MNF. I don't see the NFL losing big chunks of fans YoY as Nascar has for many years.

I think the NFL stepped in it with the Kaepernick thing; there does seem to be a correlation between that issue and declining ratings. One thing NASCAR ought to do right now to capture some of those disaffected NFL fans would be to really play up the patriotism angle.

I think the NFL stepped in it with the Kaepernick thing; there does seem to be a correlation between that issue and declining ratings. One thing NASCAR ought to do right now to capture some of those disaffected NFL fans would be to really play up the patriotism angle.

Nascar plays that card all the time. With military cut backs on sponsorship it may not be as noticeable except at the opening ceremonies, which I find are getting pretty boring.

o capture some of those disaffected NFL fans would be to really play up the patriotism angle.
Nascar has been playing that card for many years. Since the military quit sponsoring cars it is only noticeable at opening ceremonies.
I quit watching that part when this new crop of drivers making millions can't even act respectful during that time.:mad:

I've never been much of an NHRA fan, but interestingly their ratings are way up this year.

"With just three races remaining in @NHRA season, #NHRAonFOX viewership story remains strong: up 27% over 2015 (680k vs. 536k); A18-49 up 52%"

https://twitter.com/FOXSportsPR/status/786658857955233793

I think the NFL stepped in it with the Kaepernick thing; there does seem to be a correlation between that issue and declining ratings.

Only to those who want there to be. Again, the actual data suggests that about the same number of total viewers are watching the NFL this year compared to last. They are just watching fewer minutes per week on average. That's not much of a boycott, just shorter attention span stuff.

IDK how much Kaep and his stupidity that has spread to other players has contributed to the NFL's declining ratings but I am sure it hasn't helped. I have no problem with Kaep and anyone else publicizing their feelings but the way they are all going about it is disingenuous and misses the point entirely.

Where dem NASCAR fans at?

@PPistone
17m
So 9.7 million people saw the NLCS deciding game on FS1 (largest since 2010) - but I thought nobody gets that channel?

People don't have a problem finding FS1 for baseball or UFC. And people don't have a problem finding NBCSN for the Olympics and hockey. Only NASCAR fans have this problem.

I've never been much of an NHRA fan, but interestingly their ratings are way up this year.

"With just three races remaining in @NHRA season, #NHRAonFOX viewership story remains strong: up 27% over 2015 (680k vs. 536k); A18-49 up 52%"

https://twitter.com/FOXSportsPR/status/786658857955233793

Only to those who want there to be. Again, the actual data suggests that about the same number of total viewers are watching the NFL this year compared to last. They are just watching fewer minutes per week on average. That's not much of a boycott, just shorter attention span stuff.

NHRA also moved from being televised on tape delay (Sunday nights at 8pm or 11pm) on ESPN2 to being televised live on Fox and FS1.

NASCAR Sprint Cup racing from Talladega, the sixth race in the Chase For the Cup, earned a 2.2 final rating and 3.6 million viewers on NBCSN Sunday afternoon - down 15% in ratings and 16% in viewership from last year (2.6, 4.2M) and down 27% and 28%, respectively, from 2014 on ESPN (3.0, 4.8M). Joey Logano's win ranks as the lowest rated edition of the race since at least 2000 and the least-watched since at least 2001, falling below the previous marks set last year. Even with the lower numbers, Talladega delivered the highest rating and viewership of this year's Chase For the Cup, edging the previous marks of 2.1 and 3.4 million. It ranks as the highest rated and most-watched race since Darlington on NBC Labor Day weekend (2.8, 4.6M)

from jayski

The ratings for Talladega are following a predictable trend YoY trend in that the Chase races are down about 4-600,000 viewers for each race.

I wonder how our game #7 moment in Homestead will compare?

World Series Game 7 average audience is over 40 million viewers - it is the most-watched baseball game in 25 years.

I wonder how our game #7 moment in Homestead will compare?

Not well. Last year's Homestead Bowl was up considerably from 2014, with a Jeff Gordon competing for the championship in his final race storyline. There will be no such mainstream pull this year. Given where the general level of exposure and interest is at, there is nowhere to go but down. The above will be used to explain the decline, and it's partially true.

The old Atlanta track was better and would yield much higher ratings for the finale like in the past

The greatest thing that happened to the finale last year was that it was delayed and encroached into the SNF pre-game show and ended up with over 7 million viewers.

I either missed the TV ratings for Martinsville or they have not been posted yet but it seems unusual that they would not know how many people watched the race 5 days after it took place.

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/skedball-weekend-sports-tv-ratings-10-29-30-2016.html

Looks like the Martinsville race had a 1.6 household rating and 2.7 million viewers which is off from last year's 3.4 million and represents a 20% drop in viewership. Please check my math as I suck at it.. To add some perspective this race had 6.4 million viewers in 2003 and just under 7 million viewers in 2002.

God's finest little creatures
Looking brave and strong
Whistling past the graveyard
Nothing can go wrong

Don Henley

Back
Top Bottom