2016 Talladega - Alabama 500 - Pre Race Thread

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
The NASCAR Sprint Cup and Camping World Truck Series will gather for a doubleheader showing at Talladega Superspeedway this weekend. Check out the full schedule below.

Note: All times are ET
FRIDAY, OCT. 21:

ON TRACK
-- 1-1:55 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series first practice, FS1 (Follow live)
-- 2-2:55 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series first practice, NBCSN/NBC Sports App (Follow live)
-- 3-3:55 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series final practice, FS1 (Follow live)
-- 4:30-5:25 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series final practice, NBCSN/NBC Sports App (Follow live)

GARAGECAM (Watch live)
-- 12:30 p.m.: Camping World Truck Series
-- 1:30 p.m.: Sprint Cup Series

SATURDAY, OCT. 22:

ON TRACK
-- 10:30 a.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Keystone Light Pole Qualifying, FS1 (Follow live)
-- 1 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series fred's 250 Powered by Coca-Cola (94 laps, 250.04 miles), FOX (Follow live)
-- 4 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Coors Light Pole Qualifying, NBCSN/NBC Sports App (Follow live)

SUNDAY, OCT. 23:

ON TRACK
-- 2 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Alabama 500 (188 laps, 500.08 miles), NBCSN/NBC Sports App (Follow live)

Do kevin and JJ play it safe this week and just ride around? I might....and picking a chaser to do well at this track is a crapshoot...exciting!

Do kevin and JJ play it safe this week and just ride around? I might....and picking a chaser to do well at this track is a crapshoot...exciting!
If I were either of those two drivers, I'd be asking my crew to put in one of the bottom shelf engines. Lap #1 coming out of turn #2 low on the backstretch, I'd push in the clutch and grenade the thing. I'd then head over to the heliport to catch a ride back to the airport. A quick jet home followed by taking in the last 10 laps or so from the couch. No way in hell would I waste my time to compete for a win when that win would give me no advantage whatsoever. I'd be on to thinking about Martinsville.

If I were either of those two drivers, I'd be asking my crew to put in one of the bottom shelf engines. Lap #1 coming out of turn #2 low on the backstretch, I'd push in the clutch and grenade the thing. I'd then head over to the heliport to catch a ride back to the airport. A quick jet home followed by taking in the last 10 laps or so from the couch. No way in hell would I waste my time to compete for a win when that win would give me no advantage whatsoever. I'd be on to thinking about Martinsville.

Kevin could ask for a 10 car :D

all joking aside, I know what you mean. This race is gonna be crazy with so many good drivers near elimination.

You and me both!

I am happy Harvick (no pun intended) won yesterday so we won't have to see him jack up the field and intentionally wreck cars in order to advance in the lottery like we did last year.

Only God knows why this on NBCSN and not NBC

Last year Talladega had higher ratings on NBCSN than Kansas did on NBC so I don't think viewership will be a problem. In 2015 only 2 other Chase races had higher viewership and only 4 of the 20 races broadcast by NBC/NBCSN had higher ratings than the Talladega Chase race.

A couple of the best plate racers with their backs against the wall (2, 11). Gonna be fun.

You have a good point here. I can't for the life of me understand why they choose to put the races they do on the network. It seems to be about the size of the market rather than the quality of the race track. I guess if the race is in your area more people are likely to watch?

Cu-2-BsW8AAeh7A.jpg:large

They can play it safe or do their best to prevent someone else from advancing by winning.
I hear the TV people says that a lot, but I don't get it.

Eight people are going to advance, regardless of what the Charlotte and Kansas winners do. Is there a way for Johnson or Harvick to target who doesn't make it to Round 3, short of putting them in the wall?

If I were either of those two drivers, I'd be asking my crew to put in one of the bottom shelf engines. Lap #1 coming out of turn #2 low on the backstretch, ...
I don't understand why you're waiting as late as turn 2. Run a lousy Q lap, start in the back, and blow it up going into #1. You won't make it around, and the early caution and clean-up assures you get home in time to see the finish.

Here we go. The one we've all been waiting for! (The waiting to complain about it for some people counts lol)
Here's my obligatory plate race complaint. Hopefully it will serve for everyone.

I hear the TV people says that a lot, but I don't get it.

Eight people are going to advance, regardless of what the Charlotte and Kansas winners do. Is there a way for Johnson or Harvick to target who doesn't make it to Round 3, short of putting them in the wall?

There's some good drivers in precarious positions. If winning would allow lock Keselowski out and let Dillon in, for example, that' s something drivers could take into account because you'd obviously rather race for a title against a non-competitor like Dillon than a former champ like Keselowski. I think there's way too much going on at Talladega for strategy like that though.

I've stocked up on antacids for this weekend. Also going to put off any inside chores so I'll have something to do.
I tend to start pacing during these races, so keeping busy and just listening keeps me from getting agitated.

I'm not so edgy if I'm AT the race.

You have a good point here. I can't for the life of me understand why they choose to put the races they do on the network. It seems to be about the size of the market rather than the quality of the race track. I guess if the race is in your area more people are likely to watch?
The main reason why this race is on NBCSN , is because NBC is airing the F1 race.

In order to advance.....

Chase Clinch Scenarios at Talladega:
#48-Jimmie Johnson and #4-Kevin Harvick have already clinched a spot in the Round of 8. With only one race remaining in this round, a new winner would be a win by Joey Logano, Austin Dillon, Denny Hamlin, Brad Keselowski or Chase Elliott. A win by any other driver would be considered a repeat winner for the clinching requirements (so, Johnson/Harvick, or a non-Chase driver, or a driver ahead of Logano in points).
#20-Matt Kenseth (0 Wins, 3074 Points) - Would clinch on points with 13 Points (28th and no laps led, 29th and led at least one lap, 30th and led most laps) and a new winner. If there is a repeat winner, would clinch on points with 11 Points (30th and no laps led, 31st and led at least one lap, 32nd and led most laps). With a win, would clinch a next round spot on wins.
#18-Kyle Busch (0 Wins, 3072 Points) - Would clinch on points with 15 Points (26th and no laps led, 27th and led at least one lap, 28th and led most laps) and a new winner. If there is a repeat winner, would clinch on points with 14 Points (27th and no laps led, 28th and led at least one lap, 29th and led most laps). With a win, would clinch a next round spot on wins.
#19-Carl Edwards (0 Wins, 3069 Points) - Would clinch on points with 18 Points (23rd and no laps led, 24th and led at least one lap, 25th and led most laps) and a new winner. If there is a repeat winner, would clinch on points with 16 Points (25th and no laps led, 26th and led at least one lap, 27th and led most laps). With a win, would clinch a next round spot on wins.
#41-Kurt Busch (0 Wins, 3062 Points) - Would clinch on points with 25 Points (16th and no laps led, 17th and led at least one lap, 18th and led most laps) and a new winner. If there is a repeat winner, would clinch on points with 24 Points (17th and no laps led, 18th and led at least one lap, 19th and led most laps). With a win, would clinch a next round spot on wins.
#78-Martin Truex Jr (0 Wins, 3058 Points) - Would clinch on points with 29 Points (12th and no laps led, 13th and led at least one lap, 14th and led most laps) and a new winner. If there is a repeat winner, would clinch on points with 28 Points (13th and no laps led, 14th and led at least one lap, 15th and led most laps). With a win, would clinch a next round spot on wins.
#22-Joey Logano (0 Wins, 3045 Points) - If there is a repeat winner, would clinch on points with 41 Points (2nd and led most laps). With a win, would clinch a next round spot on wins. Could clinch on points with a new winner and help.
#3-Austin Dillon (0 Wins, 3045 Points) - If there is a repeat winner, would clinch on points with 41 Points (2nd and led most laps). With a win, would clinch a next round spot on wins. Could clinch on points with a new winner and help.
#11-Denny Hamlin (0 Wins, 3039 Points) - With a win, would clinch a next round spot on wins. Could clinch on points with help.
#2-Brad Keselowski (0 Wins, 3038 Points) - With a win, would clinch a next round spot on wins. Could clinch on points with help.
#24-Chase Elliott (0 Wins, 3020 Points) - With a win, would clinch a next round spot on wins. Could clinch on points with help.

from jayski.....

JJ will be glued to the 24's bumper all day long and try to push him into a victory. Harvick is going to look for a great opportunity to wreck the field from 3rd or 4th place in hopes of collecting the toyotas and penske cars.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but watch out for Austin Dillon. He's very good on plate tracks and could get into the next round and knock out some significant names.

I'm afraid Chase's inexperience will leave him vulnerable to hungry vets like Kes and Hamlin in the closing laps, if he's up front. Even though he is becoming a decent plate racer, it's hard to feel confident in the 24's chances this week. They've had plenty of chances to get their win before this though so you can't feel too bad for them.

I wonder if drivers talk strategy in their buses at tracks like this...talk who they want to work with, how to get to the front, etc. I picture them plotting like generals over a map with cars on it... Queue Arnies voice...."The best defense....."

Back
Top Bottom