2016s3

LouieLouie

Team Owner
Well week 1 is almost over. I finally did a race last night in the cup cars. It was at homestead and boy was it a long race. 107 laps. I did ok and got a little lucky at the end. I used the iracing set, had a little practice and just went for it. I started 9th and finished 8th. Should have been 7th but I burned the RF up one lap too soon.

Anyway of you guys know what the HOF setups are like? Are they supposed to be better than the fixed sets or are they hot lap type setups? I didn't have time to do a long run on that set so I wasn't sure how it would change over the long run.

Anyway, not sure where the cup cars are headed next week, but this week was pretty fun. Think I might stick with the cup series this season. I didn't really like the audi. It is too sensitive when hitting the curbs. If you hit a curb the car just flies off the track. There are so many tracks in which you have to cut the curb that going around them just doesn't allow you to keep very good pace unless you are an alien. If anyone is looking into running the GT3 series, I might look at the McClaren or Merc.

Oh gods, I hate Daytona. Hate it, hate it, hate it. I decided to do a C-Class Truck race because I do want to get some racing in, but work is just so busy right now because it's the Summer time and everyone is going on vacation. I don't really have time to toy around with set-ups, so I decided for Season 3, I'd race the Fixed Trucks series.

So I ran two races at Daytona, the first one I tried to take it three wide on the back stretch, ended up causing "The Big One." In the second race, the guy in front of me checked up big time, I ran into the back of him. Then my truck went to the outside wall, collecting another truck with it.

I'm going on vacation this week, so I decided to get in a truck race @ Kentucky on Monday night after the switch-over to a new week. Self-spun coming out of turn 4 on lap one, and had a wreck with the next to last place guy (I was in last) which ruined my night.

I am annoyed with the Truck series right now. I've never been particularly good on 1.5 Tri-ovals and I hate my performance right now.

Yeah the truck series is hit or miss for me too. Lots of competitive guys that will dive bomb the crap out of you if you give them an inch. Plus with the truck series, it is almost full throttle around every track so it is hard to pass.

I went back to A oval series this season in the ford fusion. Im not very good at it, but i'm getting the hang of things. Went to Kentucky and pulled off something like 64 laps straight on a single fuel run. Ended up 5th out of 9th but really had a 7th place car so it worked out well for me.

On to Loudon.

So I learned something new at Loudon. With the RF tire being key to long runs, I tried to use the RR a little more. I shifted a little weight, and I increased the tire pressure to try to build heat and wear the tire a little more. Turns out, I did the complete opposite of what I wanted to do. The only thing that happened was it put more pressure on the RF tire so the tire fell off even quicker.
So I lowered the RR tire pressure but left the weight where it was. This allowed me to have a better run off the corner and it helped me maintain my RF tire for much longer in the run. I will need to do a little more work on the setup when Loudon comes around again in S4, but I feel like I have something that will put me in the right direction now.

On to Indy.

Wow, Indy was a disaster for me. I just couldn't keep pace. I tried to use a fuel strategy but I think everyone was able to make it on 2 stops somehow. It didn't help that I was caught speeding on the first pit stop.
Oh well, on to Pocono.

Did a race tonight at Oxford Plains in the SK Modified Series. Which was apparently a waste of time because the race didn't go official. There was only four of us and I started in third place. After the halfway part, I was hunting down the 2nd place guy. The last place guy decided to take a little trip around the inner loop. This led to him coming up onto the racing surface in front of me and we crashed. Yea, I basically finished third because of this dumbass.

I'm a little pissed off because I'm pretty sure the dude was bored and decided to just **** around, which ruined my race.

Filed a protest against the , here's hoping something comes of it.

Yeah protests can be worthless sometimes but if he was intentionally wrecking you and driving the wrong way or off the track, they will park him for a week.

Most times I protest, they just tell me that nothing has happened but it goes on the other drivers record and if a pattern develops they will suspend him.

So you ever hear anything of your protest?

I think i'm finally starting to figure out the cup car again. It took me a little bit to get back in the swing of things but I did pretty well at Pocono and last night I was posting some of the fastest laps at Watkins Glen. Must have been all that road racing I did in the Audi! haha.
It was actually kind of funny, when I first got in the cup car I was trying to drive it like the Audi and I quickly realized that the cup car is a big boat that doesn't turn. I was all over the place the first few laps. I don't think I even posted a time until I had about 10 crashed laps under my belt. I finally settled down and started making adjustments to the car and I would up in the top 5 in some of the practice sessions I was in. Some of the aliens are still posting ridiculous times, but it's cool to actually have a chance at a good race this week.

I think i'm finally starting to figure out the cup car again. It took me a little bit to get back in the swing of things but I did pretty well at Pocono and last night I was posting some of the fastest laps at Watkins Glen. Must have been all that road racing I did in the Audi! haha.
It was actually kind of funny, when I first got in the cup car I was trying to drive it like the Audi and I quickly realized that the cup car is a big boat that doesn't turn. I was all over the place the first few laps. I don't think I even posted a time until I had about 10 crashed laps under my belt. I finally settled down and started making adjustments to the car and I would up in the top 5 in some of the practice sessions I was in. Some of the aliens are still posting ridiculous times, but it's cool to actually have a chance at a good race this week.

I don't think I've ever even posted a time on a road course, years of playing non-sim racing games has given me some very bad habits of being way way way to agressive when it comes to braking and cornering, so I usually am into the turn way to hard and too deep. Or I try to not do that and am way off the pace, need to fund the middle ground.

The only thing I've ever gotten was this.

Good Day Sean Summer
Once again we'd like to thank you for taking the time submit your protest. This email is to inform you that the protest has reviewed and the member under protest notified of the outcome.

If you need to reference this case in the future, please use the information below when emailing.

Case #: CAS-95549-L8W3C5

Session ID#: https://members.iracing.com/membersite/member/EventResult.do?subsessionid=17331591

Thank you for your continued support and good luck in your future races!

Regards,

iRacing.com Motorsport Simulations

I think that means you won your protest! They don't tell you what the other guy's disciplinary actions were.

Kind of a let down either way. They need to update the system somehow. People just drive crazy and there are no real consequences and protesting doesn't resolve the situation at all for the guy that got screwed.

I think that means you won your protest! They don't tell you what the other guy's disciplinary actions were.

Kind of a let down either way. They need to update the system somehow. People just drive crazy and there are no real consequences and protesting doesn't resolve the situation at all for the guy that got screwed.

I'm just glad the race didn't go official. At least the only thing I lost was SR points.

Was doing practice and set-up adjustment tonight in order to get ready for the race tomorrow night. I took this picture and I thought it was pretty sweet.

61O9BAZ.png

Somehow I managed to squeak by with a 3rd place finish tonight. I would have probably gotten 2nd if the race wasn't such a crash-fest. My car was pretty banged up at the end.

Somehow I managed to squeak by with a 3rd place finish tonight. I would have probably gotten 2nd if the race wasn't such a crash-fest. My car was pretty banged up at the end.
Nice! Sounds like you were able to get your setup where you wanted it.

The A series was at Watkins Glen last week and I wanted to get a race in, but I guess the oval guys just aren't into the road courses. There were only a handful of races that went official. We are at Atlanta this week so we will see how that goes.

That moment when you realize that you can get on (or stay on) the gas sooner in a Modified and your lap time improves.

That moment when you realize that you can get on (or stay on) the gas sooner in a Modified and your lap time improves.

I've been wondering how much your computer equipment comes into play with this. I don't have the fanciest computer and I use a DFGT wheel and pedals, but I have always wondered how much better I could be if I had better equipment. I only use one 23 inch screen too. Lately I have capped my FPS at 60 using vsync. I read conflicting things on the forums that say you shouldn't cap it, or that anything over 60 fps is wasteful. I have also read that one large screen i.e. 40 inch tv monitor is better than triple screens.

I don't know anymore, but I would love to be able to upgrade my system.

I've been wondering how much your computer equipment comes into play with this. I don't have the fanciest computer and I use a DFGT wheel and pedals, but I have always wondered how much better I could be if I had better equipment. I only use one 23 inch screen too. Lately I have capped my FPS at 60 using vsync. I read conflicting things on the forums that say you shouldn't cap it, or that anything over 60 fps is wasteful. I have also read that one large screen i.e. 40 inch tv monitor is better than triple screens.

I don't know anymore, but I would love to be able to upgrade my system.

For me, I think the biggest improvement was 1) having a steering wheel that had 900 degrees of rotation. It gives you better control over your car. The next thing is having a dedicated area where everything is bolted down. I used to race at my computer desk and since I had to move my wheel and pedals in and out of the way, the wheel nor the pedals weren't exactly stationary whenever I race. Now that I have a dedicated racing simulator sled, I can push my equipment a little harder and they won't slide all over the place.

I mean look at Mike Conti's setup.

101714-td-tdsimulator.jpg

He has Logitech G27 wheel and pedals and he is a NASCAR PEAK Antifreeze Series Champion.

For me, I think the biggest improvement was 1) having a steering wheel that had 900 degrees of rotation. It gives you better control over your car. The next thing is having a dedicated area where everything is bolted down. I used to race at my computer desk and since I had to move my wheel and pedals in and out of the way, the wheel nor the pedals weren't exactly stationary whenever I race. Now that I have a dedicated racing simulator sled, I can push my equipment a little harder and they won't slide all over the place.
Yeah space has been my biggest issue, we'll that and just a ****** connection, my account has lapsed right now though since I can't really afford it and have no time with working 2 jobs

Yeah space has been my biggest issue, we'll that and just a ****** connection, my account has lapsed right now though since I can't really afford it and have no time with working 2 jobs

Thats ok. You have higher priorities! You can get back when you are ready.

I attempted a wreckfest they call Bristol last night and was doing pretty well to start but got caught up at about lap 70 in the latest wreck. Until that point we had about 4 cautions already. I was in the higher level split too. Some of the drivers in the first division are just ruthless. Those were the guys wrecking everyone. We had a 26 car field and I was wrecked out on lap 70 and finished 15th. Half the field was already in the garage by lap 70. Ridiculous! People need to chill out and actually finish the race before fighting for position. I think i'm going to try one more race and hope to survive until the end.

Started up a couple weeks ago. As soon as I got this SR thing figured out street stocks went to USA. Just F!@# up my SR Fam! So glad going back to Charlotte tonight. Hopefully get out of rookies by the end of this week.

Started up a couple weeks ago. As soon as I got this SR thing figured out street stocks went to USA. Just F!@# up my SR Fam! So glad going back to Charlotte tonight. Hopefully get out of rookies by the end of this week.
Charlotte used to be really bad too in rookies. Before the dynamic stuff was added it felt more like Talladega to me and you'd get the idiots who would cause a 15 car pile up going through the dog leg into turn one on the initial start

Charlotte used to be really bad too in rookies. Before the dynamic stuff was added it felt more like Talladega to me and you'd get the idiots who would cause a 15 car pile up going through the dog leg into turn one on the initial start

Yeah the rookie series has nothing to do with racing and everything to do with getting your license.

It kind of stinks the way they have set it up because people join the service to race, but if you really want to race you need to move up to the next level. To do that you have to have flawless races in the rookie series because the races are so short. It is better to just go around in circles and stay on track and away from everyone than to actually race. Once you get into the D level, then you will want to get your irating up so you get put in with people that are respectful. Some of the guys in the rookie class get promoted to D but still don't understand common courtesy, i.e. let faster cars go by because most of them will end up in the ditch later anyway.

Anyway, good luck and stay patient.

Yeah the rookie series has nothing to do with racing and everything to do with getting your license.

It kind of stinks the way they have set it up because people join the service to race, but if you really want to race you need to move up to the next level. To do that you have to have flawless races in the rookie series because the races are so short. It is better to just go around in circles and stay on track and away from everyone than to actually race. Once you get into the D level, then you will want to get your irating up so you get put in with people that are respectful. Some of the guys in the rookie class get promoted to D but still don't understand common courtesy, i.e. let faster cars go by because most of them will end up in the ditch later anyway.

Anyway, good luck and stay patient.

I don't mind Rookies the way they are right now. For me it is just to get the feel of the car. Last night I started the race in the pits. Just cruised around minded my own business and finished 4th after everyone wrecked out trying to be the biggest and baddest. Moved my SR from 2.55 to 2.67. Just going to keep doing that until out of Rookies.

Well I made it out of rookies tonight. Now what do you guys recommend? K&N, Modifieds, or late models?

Also if I go back and run some Street Sock rookies will that still raise my SR towards Class C?

Third, where you guys going for setups?

Well I made it out of rookies tonight. Now what do you guys recommend? K&N, Modifieds, or late models?

Also if I go back and run some Street Sock rookies will that still raise my SR towards Class C?

Third, where you guys going for setups?

If you are interested in dirt (coming out in late December early January) you might want to do the late models. I think they are going to make that the included dirt race car. I could be wrong on that but maybe someone else in this forum has more info.

I would hesitate to go back to the rookie racing unless they still have advanced rookies. Your SR won't improve as much as if you just ran a D race. Plus there is a lot more potential for wrecking in the rookie classes.

Setups on the lower levels are not as easy to find since there aren't many things to adjust. I would try to learn to make your own setups by messing around with all of the options and learning how they change the car and how they interact with each other. It will help you down the road when you get to the B or A level cars.
That being said, check out the forums for which ever car you drive or series you race in. There will always be tips or setups in there. Plus I have learned that youtube is a good place to search for videos about setting cars up or learning the raceline of new tracks. Just search for your car with iracing in the title or a trackguide. i.e. "iracing late model setups" or "iracing late model charlotte track guide"

Got my butt kicked at Michigan this week. For some reason I just couldn't get the front end to turn no matter what I tried. I use the iracing setups provided and I think Michigan's setup and Darlington's setup were made by somebody different than the previous week's setups. They just don't drive the same at all.
I'll have to check the forums for some help at Darlington this week.

Other than that it has been kind of quiet on the week 13 front as well as new content front. I know the le mans track is coming out but I don't think it will be ready for another few weeks. I think they are bringing out a new aston martin car too. Other than that I'm pretty much in the dark. You guys hear of anything coming out in two weeks?

The SK Modified makes it way to Langley Speedway this week. I started in 5th but finished 4th, no one wrecked me although I did wreck myself towards the end of the race. The set-up started out pretty good and I thought it would survive the 50 grueling laps. However as time went on, exit just became looser and looser. By the end I had to be more gentle on the throttle than I wanted to be. I also couldn't power out off Turn 2 like I wanted, the car wanted to spin around if I did that.

I'll work on the set-up and see if I can get it to where I want it and go racing again either tomorrow night or Friday night.

The SK Modified makes it way to Langley Speedway this week. I started in 5th but finished 4th, no one wrecked me although I did wreck myself towards the end of the race. The set-up started out pretty good and I thought it would survive the 50 grueling laps. However as time went on, exit just became looser and looser. By the end I had to be more gentle on the throttle than I wanted to be. I also couldn't power out off Turn 2 like I wanted, the car wanted to spin around if I did that.

I'll work on the set-up and see if I can get it to where I want it and go racing again either tomorrow night or Friday night.

Sounds like you might be wearing out your RR tire on the long run. There are a couple of ways to adjust that, but it depends on your setup. Plus I'm not sure I would know the 100% correct way to fix that. I would either tighten up the rear so that by the end of the run it is more comfortable but at the beginning you are tight, or try to drive more conservatively at the beginning of the run so it lasts to the end of the race. Again, there is probably a much better solution that someone on the forums might be able to help you with.

Back
Top Bottom