2017 NW200: McGuinness breaks leg in Superbike crash.

Mr Excitement

Team Owner
Sucks! It appears to me like they are having problems dialing in the new Fireblade.Gonna miss not watching McGuinness at this year's TT.:(

http://www.bikesportnews.com/news/news-detail/2017-nw200-mcguinness-breaks-leg-in-superbike-crash

John_McGuinness_Superbike_001.jpg

Picture: Derek Wilson

Honda Racing’s John McGuinness has broken his leg in a crash during the Superbike practice session at the 2017 North West 200 this afternoon.

McGuinness is said to be conscious and talking, but is on his way to hospital after coming off at Primrose Hill. Wife Becky has gone to hospital with him.

The team have withdrawn Guy Martin from this evening’s Superstock event while they investigate McGuinness’ crash. A statement reads:

During Superbike qualifying at the North West 200 today, Honda Racing’s John McGuinness was involved in an incident at Primrose Hill.

Within a short time of the incident John was transported by ambulance to Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast where he is currently undergoing treatment for a suspected broken right leg.

As is standard procedure following such an incident, John’s motorcycle is being held by race organisers after which time it will be released to the team.

As the team is unable to analyse John’s bike before this evening’s Superstock race, the Honda Racing team has opted to withdraw Guy Martin’s entry in today’s Superstock race as a precaution.

The Honda Racing team and John would like to thank the prompt action of the marshals, circuit staff and emergency services.

- See more at: http://www.bikesportnews.com/news/n...s-leg-in-superbike-crash#sthash.3VbQMyeI.dpuf

As usual, the injuries are far worse than first reported.Probably career ending injuries for the 45-year-old legend.:(

http://www.hondaproracing.com/road-racing/update-from-honda-racing-at-the-north-west-200/

Honda Racing has an update regarding John McGuinness, following his incident at the North West 200 Superbike qualifying on Thursday, May 11.

John has been diagnosed with a compound fracture to his right lower leg, while in theatre on Thursday night it was not possible to plate the leg as initially thought due to the extent of the injury, and tomorrow an external fixator will be fitted. In addition, John has also suffered four broken vertebrae and has three broken back ribs, John will wear a cast for up to six weeks in treatment for the vertebrae. John will remain at Royal Victoria Hospital for around one week as part of the recuperation process.

Honda Racing has received John’s bike from the race organisers and will perform a detailed analysis of the bike and ECU data at its headquarters in Louth. As a result, the team has withdrawn from the Superstock and Superbike races at the North West 200.

The team will next be on track at Castle Combe in a couple of weeks’ time as part of its preparation for the Isle of Man TT.

Jonny Twelvetrees, team manager:
“Unfortunately John’s incident at Primrose Hill during qualifying has resulted in quite a substantial injury to his right Tibia and Fibula. It is a real blow to John and the team, but he’s got an incredible amount of spirit and is in very good hands with the medical staff at the Royal Victoria Hospital. We now need to determine what happened and will sit out the Superstock and Superbike races, get back to Louth to analyse John’s bike and re-group ahead of our next test at Castle Combe in a couple of weeks before we head to the Isle of Man.”

I am sorry about the crash and the injuries. John is one of the lucky ones.

As usual, the injuries are far worse than first reported.Probably career ending injuries for the 45-year-old legend.:(

http://www.hondaproracing.com/road-racing/update-from-honda-racing-at-the-north-west-200/

Honda Racing has an update regarding John McGuinness, following his incident at the North West 200 Superbike qualifying on Thursday, May 11.

John has been diagnosed with a compound fracture to his right lower leg, while in theatre on Thursday night it was not possible to plate the leg as initially thought due to the extent of the injury, and tomorrow an external fixator will be fitted. In addition, John has also suffered four broken vertebrae and has three broken back ribs, John will wear a cast for up to six weeks in treatment for the vertebrae. John will remain at Royal Victoria Hospital for around one week as part of the recuperation process.

Honda Racing has received John’s bike from the race organisers and will perform a detailed analysis of the bike and ECU data at its headquarters in Louth. As a result, the team has withdrawn from the Superstock and Superbike races at the North West 200.

The team will next be on track at Castle Combe in a couple of weeks’ time as part of its preparation for the Isle of Man TT.

Jonny Twelvetrees, team manager:
“Unfortunately John’s incident at Primrose Hill during qualifying has resulted in quite a substantial injury to his right Tibia and Fibula. It is a real blow to John and the team, but he’s got an incredible amount of spirit and is in very good hands with the medical staff at the Royal Victoria Hospital. We now need to determine what happened and will sit out the Superstock and Superbike races, get back to Louth to analyse John’s bike and re-group ahead of our next test at Castle Combe in a couple of weeks before we head to the Isle of Man.”

What a bummer ....... won't be competing at the Isle of Man I guess. I am glad that he is alive though.

What a bummer ....... won't be competing at the Isle of Man I guess. I am glad that he is alive though.

Mcpint is done IMO. Those injuries plus rehab will take at the least a year to fully recover from.

Did you happen to see the races today? Glen Erwin and Alastair Seely just put on an epic show. Hutchy and Rutter rode fantastic as well.Unbelievable riding and the best race I've seen in a long time!

Mcpint is done IMO. Those injuries plus rehab will take at the least a year to fully recover from.

Did you happen to see the races today? Glen Erwin and Alastair Seely just put on an epic show. Hutchy and Rutter rode fantastic as well.Unbelievable riding!!!!

I didn't see them ..... my wife is recovering from 2 open heart surgeries and is hogging the tv :( I will be watching the Isle of Man though

Guy - on visiting his teammate and friend John McGuinness.
"There’s a couple of places at the North West where you don’t want to crash and that’s one of them. I went to see him in the hospital because I wanted to see how he was and have a chat. He’s alright but needs a proper service. I'm sure an interesting road ahead and of course I wish him all the best, he’s a legend."
Photo: Honda Racing
#GuyMartin

Back
Top Bottom