2017 Rules Package

Acs

Team Owner
^ See item 5 for the mention.

Ah thanks. I know we don't have all the info, but is item 5 saying rear toe in/out is gone like at the all-star race or that simply the mounting is changed so teams can't exceed the current skew limits by on-track shenanigans? Both would be welcome IMO.

Also, no real big changes to the restrictor plate package is a bit of a surprise. There had been rumors of such a thing earlier in the year but apparently nothing came of them...yet. Yeah the plate is a bit smaller but I've heard the teams were already able to get back the lost HP from 2016's slightly smaller plate.

Those spoilers are smaller than I've ever seen. Cars are still stuck to the track like glue. Maybe NASCAR is focusing on the wrong area.

Ah thanks. I know we don't have all the info, but is item 5 saying rear toe in/out is gone like at the all-star race or that simply the mounting is changed so teams can't exceed the current skew limits by on-track shenanigans? Both would be welcome IMO.
I'd say it refers only to the latter. There are already limiting rules in place for allowable static toe-in / out and they're reasonable. It's the dynamic "shenanigans" they're after.

Didn't they make a relatively recent in-season change to the truck arm to chassis assembly?

Official Release from NASCAR

Some new things not noted above:
  • "Net rear steer setting of zero" not quite sure what that means in relation to what they said in the article above
  • Reduced tire allotment
  • Teams are required to start the race on their qualifying tires
That last one is going to be really interesting. Those who don't make it out of the 1st round and start at the back will be starting on fresher tires than those at the front. Should make for some interesting starts.

No rear steering should be seen at all, if so I expect that to be a heavy penalty if caught.

With the tire allocation reduction, that should make teams not be so aggressive on the camber, but knowing engineers it will not happen. Drivers will have to continue to adjust their style of driving and plays in more of the hands a driver that conserves their tires really well over a long run. Might as well get rid of group qualifying if they are going to start on qualifying tires and go back to individual runs.

The spoiler is shorter but it's wider by 7 inches than what they ran this year at Kentucky and Michigan. So probably about a wash

http://www.racer.com/nascar/item/135486-nascar-2017-sprint-cup-rules-package-announced

"The 2017 package is expected to reduce downforce by about 500 pounds, landing in the 1,500-pound range. In 2016, downforce was reduced from 2,700 pounds to about 2,000 pounds."

Sounds good to me. I also like the changes in tire allocations as a concept, although I have not seen any numbers. Starting on qualifying tires also makes sense, as these just have a couple of laps. Collectively, that reduces the tire bill by about $80,000 per race, over $3 million per year. Not a huge number, but worth having.

Haven't the Xfinity series and trucks been using that tire rule? I'm surprised cup didn't implement that sooner even though I'm not a huge fan of it.

http://www.racer.com/nascar/item/135486-nascar-2017-sprint-cup-rules-package-announced

"The 2017 package is expected to reduce downforce by about 500 pounds, landing in the 1,500-pound range. In 2016, downforce was reduced from 2,700 pounds to about 2,000 pounds."

Sounds good to me. I also like the changes in tire allocations as a concept, although I have not seen any numbers. Starting on qualifying tires also makes sense, as these just have a couple of laps. Collectively, that reduces the tire bill by about $80,000 per race, over $3 million per year. Not a huge number, but worth having.

They didn't mention the amount gained back throughout the season, and alas, the quality of racing and ability for faster cars to pass slower cars has declined week after week. Can we expect the same thing next season? Or will this really put things back in the hands of the drivers?

Just one more decision for the CC. I think I would rather start in the top 15 with 5 laps on my tires than 30th with 2 laps on them. We can always ask Danica. :D

Just one more decision for the CC. I think I would rather start in the top 15 with 5 laps on my tires than 30th with 2 laps on them. We can always ask Danica. :D
Depends on the track. At someplace big and wide like Mich, Cali, or Pocono where there's room to maneuver, I might want the tires. The diff between 2 laps and 5 on a 2-mile track is a lot more than at M'ville.

Like you said, that's the CC's problem.

Back
Top Bottom