NASCAR - Television Ratings Thread

If Nascar can get lower numbers like F-1 has in the states, their races would be commercial free. Gooo deathbedders. :rolleyes:

It literally works the opposite way. In fact that's why I follow the ratings and get concerned, because I hate commercials.

It literally works the opposite way. In fact that's why I follow the ratings and get concerned, because I hate commercials.

Yep, within all reasonable bounds lower than expected viewership results in more advertising, because each commercial spot provides the network with less revenue.

The annual amount Fox and NBC are paying NASCAR in broadcast rights fees: approximately $800 million.

The annual amount ESPN is paying F1 for U.S. broadcast rights: $0.

That's why they could go commercial-free for this year.

There's a season summary chart included in this: http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/05/nascar-ratings-talladega-decline-lowest-years/

There's too much of a core fan base to keep a Cup race from dropping below a million. The average Xfinity race this year is drawing 1.25 million viewers, and I always consider people who take the time to watch the Xfinity races as being the core.

4 of the top 5 races in viewership last year have already taken place (only 1 left is the Brickyard). What I'm getting at is I look for last year's numbers to catch up with this year's numbers, and that some of this year's numbers could end up being better.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the racing itself doesn't seem to be the problem. The problem I see is what you said in your last paragraph, and that's the sport doesn't have enough name drivers for the casual person to be attracted to at the moment. With the loss of Dale Jr., Danica, Gordon, Stewart, and Edwards (and I'm sure I'm leaving some names out), that's a big hit to take in a short amount of time. It's just a matter of whether or not that void gets filled in the next several years.

I agree but we could certainly see a 1.0 rating for one of the fall races on NBCSN. But yeah, if over a million are watching midday Monday for Martinsville on FS1 then there's still a reliable core.

If anything I think Dover will be helped by being held a month earlier this year.

just as the herd of me too's flocked to the races when it was the thing to do, now it is popular to be the thing not to do. I do wish Nascar would hire somebody to deal with weasels like this who continue to show an obvious bias against Nascar. I have watched him ignore or bloom flowers towards stick n ball ratings that suffer similar fates. After a full season of his stinky dramatics, last year's ratings were down 11% overall, and the NFL was down 10%. A much larger and more significant number of people tuned out the NFL and the attendance has been falling for the last couple of years in the NFL by 20%. But this guy has to be a jackass about it.

just as the herd of me too's flocked to the races when it was the thing to do, now it is popular to be the thing not to do. I do wish Nascar would hire somebody to deal with weasels like this who continue to show an obvious bias against Nascar. I have watched him ignore or bloom flowers towards stick n ball ratings that suffer similar fates. After a full season of his stinky dramatics, last year's ratings were down 11% overall, and the NFL was down 10%. A much larger and more significant number of people tuned out the NFL and the attendance has been falling for the last couple of years in the NFL by 20%. But this guy has to be a jackass about it.
You seem mad.

The numbers are what they are. You can't do anything about that. The only other sport that's declined anywhere near as much over the past couple of years is the NFL, and he addresses that too.

NFL Week 17: Long, Bad Season Ends on Semi-Decent Note
http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/01/nfl-ratings-week-17/

Super Bowl Ratings, Viewership, Lowest Since 2009
http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/02/super-bowl-ratings-lowest-2009/

You seem mad.

The numbers are what they are. You can't do anything about that. The only other sport that's declined anywhere near as much over the past couple of years is the NFL, and he addresses that too.

NFL Week 17: Long, Bad Season Ends on Semi-Decent Note
http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/01/nfl-ratings-week-17/

Super Bowl Ratings, Viewership, Lowest Since 2009
http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/02/super-bowl-ratings-lowest-2009/

No bud just making a point. He knows who butters his bread. Here is the stick n ball alibi for the first article he never mentions tougher competition, or the weather being a factor for Nascar races. You go ahead and defend the dude. Not me.
Keep in mind the telecast faced tougher competition than last year. In the same window, CBS scored an 8.7 and 15.6 million for coverage featuring Bengals-Ravens — up 28% in ratings and 29% in viewership from last year (6.8, 12.1M) but down 16% and 11% respectively from 2015 (10.3, 17.6M).
Together, the late games combined for 36.4 million viewers — up 5% from last year (34.6M) but down 5% from 2015 (38.4M). The NFL scheduled an unusually-high nine games for the late window, five involving teams trying to clinch a playoff berth. In addition, the league declined to flex any game into the Sunday night window, marking the first time since 1977 that the season ended in the afternoon.

from sportsmediawatch.com

NASCAR Down Again As Talladega Hits Low
Another week, another historic low for NASCAR ratings.

Sunday’s NASCAR Cup Series Talladega 500 earned a 2.9 rating and 4.7 million viewers on FOX, down 17% in ratings and 20% in viewership from last year (3.5, 5.9M) and down 28% and 29% respectively from 2016 (4.0, 6.7M).

Joey Logano’s win ranks as the lowest rated edition of the race in more than 20 years (since at least 1997) and the least-watched since at least 2001. The previous lows were set last year.

It had a 5.2 and 9.0 million just seven years ago.

Sunday's NASCAR Cup Series Dover 400 earned a 1.7 rating and 2.8 million viewers on FS1, down 19% in ratings and 17% in viewersihp from last year (2.1, 3.4M) and down 32% and 30% respectively from 2016 (2.5, 4.0M).

Kevin Harvick's win was the lowest rated edition of the race since at least 1998 and the least-watched since at least 2001.

On a packed weekend, NASCAR ranked just eighth among all sporting events behind the Kentucky Derby, all four NBA playoff games, a Stanley Cup playoff game and the final round of the PGA Tour at Quail Hollow.

The race fell 30% in viewership in 2 year. Yikes!

DdQUQ9-W4AAmjE2.jpg:large

http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insigh...all-star-week-caters-to-a-loyal-fan-base.html

Kansas - 1.23 overnight. Down from a 1.46 last year.

Not good.

Big crowd out in California, I see.

With that limited data, the same applies to Texas and many other markets NASCAR pursues.

I'm sure there have been dumb statements made by NASCAR exaggerating the level of interest in California. However, I don't think anyone ever argued that California has more fans per capita, which is what that map measures. Virginia has two of the top ten markets there. California is effectively five times as large as Virginia. So even with much less concentration, you can still have a sizable raw number.

Very little about NASCAR is actually tailored to California or west coast generally. If it were, all races would start no earlier than 5 or 6pm Eastern time.

With that limited data, the same applies to Texas and many other markets NASCAR pursues.

I'm sure there have been dumb statements made by NASCAR exaggerating the level of interest in California. However, I don't think anyone ever argued that California has more fans per capita, which is what that map measures. Virginia has two of the top ten markets there. California is effectively five times as large as Virginia. So even with much less concentration, you can still have a sizable raw number.

Very little about NASCAR is actually tailored to California or west coast generally. If it were, all races would start no earlier than 5 or 6pm Eastern time.
It was the way that California was compared to other individual states that I found funny. That way, sure, California is up there. Compared to an entire region or time zone, not a chance. All those Eastern/Midwest markets add up.

Not a big deal, but it is amusing to get a glimpse inside the masterminds of One Daytona Boulevard.

NASCAR Ties Lowest Cup Series Rating Since At Least 2000

NASCAR ratings bottomed out over the weekend, with Kansas tying the lowest Cup Series mark in at least 18 years.

Saturday’s NASCAR Cup Series Kansas 400 earned a 1.2 rating and 2.04 million viewers on FS1, down 25% in ratings and 22% in viewership from last year (1.6, 2.6M) and down 36% and 35% respectively from 2016 (1.9, 3.1M).

Kevin Harvick‘s win delivered the lowest rating and viewership in the history of the race (dates back to 2010). The previous lows were set last year.

Excluding rainouts, it tied the lowest NASCAR Cup Series rating at any track since at least 2000, matching last year’s fall Richmond race on NBCSN. It was the fourth Cup Series race in the past year with a rating at or below 1.3; prior to last season, no race had dipped below a 1.5.

The race posted NASCAR’s second-smallest Cup Series audience since at least ’00, narrowly ahead of last year’s fall New Hampshire race on NBCSN (1.99M).

Not counting Martinsville or Bristol, which were postponed to Monday due to rain, all ten NASCAR Cup Series races this season have declined double-digits to multi-year lows. Nine of the ten races have hit all-time or decade-plus lows, the lone exception being Atlanta (lowest since 2014).

Notably, Saturday’s race was beaten head-to-head among adults 18-49 by ESPN’s Top Rank Boxing coverage (0.35 to 0.32).

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/05/nascar-ratings-kansas-lowest-years/

NASCAR Ties Lowest Cup Series Rating Since At Least 2000

NASCAR ratings bottomed out over the weekend, with Kansas tying the lowest Cup Series mark in at least 18 years.

Saturday’s NASCAR Cup Series Kansas 400 earned a 1.2 rating and 2.04 million viewers on FS1, down 25% in ratings and 22% in viewership from last year (1.6, 2.6M) and down 36% and 35% respectively from 2016 (1.9, 3.1M).

Kevin Harvick‘s win delivered the lowest rating and viewership in the history of the race (dates back to 2010). The previous lows were set last year.

Excluding rainouts, it tied the lowest NASCAR Cup Series rating at any track since at least 2000, matching last year’s fall Richmond race on NBCSN. It was the fourth Cup Series race in the past year with a rating at or below 1.3; prior to last season, no race had dipped below a 1.5.

The race posted NASCAR’s second-smallest Cup Series audience since at least ’00, narrowly ahead of last year’s fall New Hampshire race on NBCSN (1.99M).

Not counting Martinsville or Bristol, which were postponed to Monday due to rain, all ten NASCAR Cup Series races this season have declined double-digits to multi-year lows. Nine of the ten races have hit all-time or decade-plus lows, the lone exception being Atlanta (lowest since 2014).

Notably, Saturday’s race was beaten head-to-head among adults 18-49 by ESPN’s Top Rank Boxing coverage (0.35 to 0.32).

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/05/nascar-ratings-kansas-lowest-years/
this-is-fine.0.jpg

Cbwm2F

I had a newbie watching with me last night for the All Star Race. I figured with the short race and close action they'd be entertained, and they were, by the racing itself. However they could do nothing but cringe at the TV broadcast, and I have to say I agree. Poorly dressed, annoying Michael Waltrip, and all the random celebrities in awkward interviews in the pre-race. They also noticed that there's an advertisement in every little part of the broadcast. They said those two things put them off and they may watch again, but definitely not every week. The TV broadcasts are AWFUL and are even noticeably worse in the last 3 or 4 years. They do not do us any favors in trying to hook new fans.

I had a newbie watching with me last night for the All Star Race. I figured with the short race and close action they'd be entertained, and they were, by the racing itself. However they could do nothing but cringe at the TV broadcast, and I have to say I agree. Poorly dressed, annoying Michael Waltrip, and all the random celebrities in awkward interviews in the pre-race. They also noticed that there's an advertisement in every little part of the broadcast. They said those two things put them off and they may watch again, but definitely not every week. The TV broadcasts are AWFUL and are even noticeably worse in the last 3 or 4 years. They do not do us any favors in trying to hook new fans.
Whoever actively decides to keep the Waltrips on TV should be dumped into the Halifax.

I've thought plate racing everywhere could boost TV ratings (to my chagrin), and at least in this case, it looks to have staved off the decline. Well above last week's race at Kansas. Last year's ASR bumped up from 1.5 to a 1.6 in the final ratings.

The NBA 9.1 rating is a huge number. While there isn't generally a lot of crossover between NASCAR and NBA fans, any sport that goes up against another sport that pulls a 9.1 is going to be affected somewhat. I watched both.

Indy 500 did a 3.4, down from a 3.6 last year. The excuses, schmexcuses line there is that this was ABC's final year and they didn't promote it much. I felt like there was sizable promotion on ESPN particularly. Does anyone who might watch the Indy 500 not know what day it is run every year? If it is up next year on NBC, that'll be great, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Indycar is on a three year downward trend also. tis what it is everywhere.
Just to put everything into perspective

The Indy500 went from 3.6 to 3.4 which is a 5% decrease
The Coke600 went from 2.8 to 2.4, that's a 14% decrease

I really don't think we are doing Nascar a favour is we keep saying that everything is normal...

The NBA 9.1 rating is a huge number. While there isn't generally a lot of crossover between NASCAR and NBA fans, any sport that goes up against another sport that pulls a 9.1 is going to be affected somewhat. I watched both.

A game seven between the greatest NBA player in history (Lebron James) and the Cavs against the greatest sports city in the country (Boston). That's definitely going to generate enormous ratings.

NBA, as a whole, is on fire right now. NBA and NFL are king right now.

The excuses, schmexcuses line there is that this was ABC's final year and they didn't promote it much. I felt like there was sizable promotion on ESPN particularly. Does anyone who might watch the Indy 500 not know what day it is run every year?

A lot of promotion on ESPN, but was there on ABC? Yes, this matters. The Indy 500 is one of those sports events that draws casual audiences.

If it is up next year on NBC, that'll be great, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I'll be curious what NBC does. I'd still love to see what happened if the Daytona 500 was on NBC. I've got a feeling NBC will work some magic with the Indy 500, but who knows if that will translate to ratings.

Back
Top Bottom