NASCAR - Television Ratings Thread

A game seven between the greatest NBA player in history (Lebron James) and the Cavs against the greatest sports city in the country (Boston). That's definitely going to generate enormous ratings.

NBA, as a whole, is on fire right now. NBA and NFL are king right now.

two places that give me a headache when I think of driving thru or around both areas. The population density is over the top. They are stacked in there like cord wood. It's definitely stick n ball country

awH6QPB.png

Interesting seeing that map where Toledo is the #7 market for NASCAR. IMO to me it seems as though in the south college football has kinda taken NASCARs spot. I’m currently in Tybee Island and come down here just about every summer, back in the 90s you saw tons of hats and shirts of peoples favorite drivers. Today it’s been replaced by being all college football all the time

Just to put everything into perspective

The Indy500 went from 3.6 to 3.4 which is a 5% decrease
The Coke600 went from 2.8 to 2.4, that's a 14% decrease

I really don't think we are doing Nascar a favour is we keep saying that everything is normal...
you go ahead and dig the hole, I'll watch

when you get through digging your deathbed hole, write this in the dirt.
The Daytona 500 the most watched motorsport event in the USA

Interesting seeing that map where Toledo is the #7 market for NASCAR. IMO to me it seems as though in the south college football has kinda taken NASCARs spot. I’m currently in Tybee Island and come down here just about every summer, back in the 90s you saw tons of hats and shirts of peoples favorite drivers. Today it’s been replaced by being all college football all the time

Seems like a good chunk of NASCAR's fanbase is limited to an area from Greenville, South Carolina up to Roanoke, Virginia. Basically, Greenville, Greensboro, Martinsville and Charlotte.

Wow, you must be the though guy here...

Have I ever said that Indycar has more fans than NASCAR ??? Where and when did I say it ?
The point is that Indycar and the NFL are on a slight downward trend but NASCAR has lost HALF of its fan base in 3 years...HALF...like it or not. There is nothing comparable in professional sports in the US.

And at the end of the day we can talk all day, but fans are talking with their remotes and with their feet. And they are saying no to
- cars that all look the same
- drivers who all look the same
- tracks that all look the same
- stages
- chase
- lucky dogs
- wave arounds

and the list goes on. These are facts. Again like it or not.

from sportsmediawatch.com

Facing NBA, NASCAR Coke 600 Hits Low
Sunday’s NASCAR Cup Series Charlotte 600 earned a 2.3 rating and 4.1 million viewers on FOX, down 18% in ratings and 12% in viewership from last year (2.8, 4.6M) and down 32% and 29% respectively from 2016 (3.4, 5.7M).

Kyle Busch‘s win ranks as the lowest rated edition of the race since at least 1996 and the least-watched since at least 2000. Ratings and viewership for the race have now declined in seven consecutive years.

All 11 Cup Series races this season have declined double-digits, with all-but-one hitting an all-time or decade-plus low.

nascarcoke600.png

Wow, you must be the though guy here...

Have I ever said that Indycar has more fans than NASCAR ??? Where and when did I say it ?
The point is that Indycar and the NFL are on a slight downward trend but NASCAR has lost HALF of its fan base in 3 years...HALF...like it or not. There is nothing comparable in professional sports in the US.

And at the end of the day we can talk all day, but fans are talking with their remotes and with their feet. And they are saying no to
- cars that all look the same
- drivers who all look the same
- tracks that all look the same
- stages
- chase
- lucky dogs
- wave arounds

and the list goes on. These are facts. Again like it or not.

You forgot to add that the owners of the sport are looking to jump ship too.
8fd.gif

815 in 2017
508 in 2018
Am I reading this wrong? Taken from the 18-49 column.
3rd over all in the rating.

815 in 2017
508 in 2018
Am I reading this wrong? Taken from the 18-49 column.
3rd over all in the rating.
No, you're right. Why the percentage drop in the 18-49 group would be almost double the total persons percentage drop, I'm not sure.

All 11 Cup Series races this season have declined double-digits, with all-but-one hitting an all-time or decade-plus low.

nascarcoke600.png
This data is misleading. Fox put NASCAR on a broadcast channel in 2001 making the races available to a much larger audience, now it is mostly on cable (FX1). I'd like to see the FX1 data compared to the ESPN data from the 90's. When NASCAR was on broadcast stations a lot of new bandwagon fans got interested and now they are gone.

My mistake, most of the races are on FS1 not FX1. Both Fox and NBC show some races on their broadcast channel but most are on cable these days.

This data is misleading. Fox put NASCAR on a broadcast channel in 2001 making the races available to a much larger audience, now it is mostly on cable (FX1). I'd like to see the FX1 data compared to the ESPN data from the 90's. When NASCAR was on broadcast stations a lot of new bandwagon fans got interested and now they are gone.

This is true to an extent. I looked and there were 12 races in 2001 that aired on cable networks (FX, TNT) as opposed to 21 in 2018 on FS1 and NBCSN. There were a similar 12 cable races in the peak year for overall NASCAR ratings, 2005. Those ratings of course dwarf the numbers from today, whether they aired on cable or broadcast. Obviously broadcast still brings in larger overall numbers. There are many factors in play and differences between the TV landscape circa 2001 vs. today.

Not to split hairs here because the 500 is certainly a well observed event, but is this true anymore? Last time I checked the ratings (And it has been a long while) the 500 has only been getting about 15mil viewers in recent years. I remember the world series averaging about 20 mil viewers and then games 6 and 7 had about 40 million!
Isn't the superbowl up there too with about 30 mil each year?
Again, I haven't checked these stats in a long while, but just didn't think your statement up there was true anymore. Definitely true in the past.

Update: So I just looked this up, the 500 had about 14mil, WS had about 18 mil, and the Superbowl had about 108mil. (I was way off on that one).

The last Super Bowl had 103.4 million viewers in the U.S.

Until they start using bionic players, I don't think it meets the definition of motorsports.

It's only for the 600. The last time it was on cable was 2000 I believe.

NASCAR Ratings Woes Continue; Every Single Race Has Declined

Sunday’s NASCAR Cup Series Pocono 400 earned a 1.6 rating and 2.7 million viewers on FS1, down 27% in ratings and 25% in viewership from last year (2.2, 3.6M) and down 30% and 26% respectively from 2015 (2.3, 3.6M). The 2016 race was postponed due to rain.

Martin Truex Jr.‘s win was the lowest rated and least-watched edition of the race since at least 2000 and the least-watched since at least 2001. The previous lows were set last year.

As recently as four years ago, the race had a comparably massive 3.0 and 4.5 million on TNT. A decade ago, it had a 3.9 and 6.1 million.

NASCAR Ratings Woes Continue; Every Single Race Has Declined

Sunday’s NASCAR Cup Series Pocono 400 earned a 1.6 rating and 2.7 million viewers on FS1, down 27% in ratings and 25% in viewership from last year (2.2, 3.6M) and down 30% and 26% respectively from 2015 (2.3, 3.6M). The 2016 race was postponed due to rain.

Martin Truex Jr.‘s win was the lowest rated and least-watched edition of the race since at least 2000 and the least-watched since at least 2001. The previous lows were set last year.

As recently as four years ago, the race had a comparably massive 3.0 and 4.5 million on TNT. A decade ago, it had a 3.9 and 6.1 million.

The chart really calls it out.

DfDgPh3WkAAiygo.jpg

oh good it went up

An increase is like a win. A win is a win. An increase is an increase. The people tuning in was better than expected, and that's with a rain delay. So, it was a good day for NASCAR. I am glad to see it going in the other direction, if only for one week. I hope this trend continues. The racing has been good this year. I hope the consuming public will tune in and watch. I've watched for thirty plus years. They're doing their best, and it's showing. Keep up the good work NASCAR!

Move From FS1 to FOX Gives NASCAR First Bump of Season

NASCAR ratings increased for the first time all season thanks to a scheduling change.

Sunday’s NASCAR Cup Series Michigan 400 earned a 2.2 rating and 3.7 million viewers on FOX, up 19% in ratings and 18% in viewership from last year (1.85, 3.1M) and flat and up 7% respectively from 2016 (2.2, 3.5M). Prior to this year, the race aired on FS1.

Clint Bowyer‘s win, which was delayed and shortened due to rain, ranks as the most-watched edition of the race in four years (2014: 4.3M).

I suppose that FS1 cable isn't selling all that well and I expect NBCSN will produce the same results. I see Comcast has made an offer to buy FOX.

Back
Top Bottom