2019 -- Daytona 500 -- Pre-Race Thread

Johali

Team Owner
Contributor
It seems like it took forever but here we are.

THE RACE: Daytona 500 Monster Energy Cup Series Race

TRACK
: Daytona International Speedway

Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Race #1 of 36

Date: Sunday, February 17th, 2019, Daytona Beach Florida

Scheduled Green Flag (approx): 2:45 pm/et

=======================================
All Times E/T

All three series are racing this weekend.

Thursday, Feb. 14
Truck Series: Practice — 2:25 p.m., Fox Sports 2
Truck Series: Practice — 4:35 p.m., Fox Sports 2
Cup Series: Duel at Daytona (two qualifying races; 60 laps, 150 miles each) — 6 p.m., FS1

Friday, Feb. 15
Xfinity Series: Practice — 12:05 a.m, Fox Sports 1
Cup Series: Practice — 1:05 p.m., Fox Sports 1
Xfinity Series: Practice — 2:05 p.m., Fox Sports 1
Cup Series: Practice — 3:05 p.m., Fox Sports 1
Truck Series: NextEra Energy 250 qualifying — 4:40 p.m., Fox Sports 1
Truck Series: NextEra Energy 250 (100 laps, 250 miles) — 7:30 p.m., Fox Sports 1

Saturday, Feb. 16
Xfinity Series: NASCAR Racing Experience 300 qualifying — 9:40 a.m., Fox Sports 1
Cup Series: Final Practice — 12:05 a.m., Fox Sports 1
Xfinity Series: NASCAR Racing Experience 300 (120 laps, 300 miles) — 2:30 p.m., Fox Sports 1

Sunday, Feb. 17
Cup Series: Daytona 500 (200 laps, 500 miles) — 2:30 p.m., Fox

Not going to be able to watch this one next weekend. I'll be traveling. MRN will have to paint the picture for me. Probably a good thing though. They tend to be able to make any race sound exciting.

Not going to be able to watch this one next weekend. I'll be traveling. MRN will have to paint the picture for me. Probably a good thing though. They tend to be able to make any race sound exciting.
:D

DVR is already set I bet. :booya:

DzAKrFGUYAAPMLV.jpg:large

The qualifying speeds, though, set the lineups for Thursday’s Gander RV Duel races at Daytona (7 p.m. ET, FS1, MRN, SiriusXM NASCAR Radio), the twin 60-lap races that determine the full starting lineup for the 61st running of the Daytona 500.

Duel 1 is typically comprised from the odd-numbered drivers on the Daytona 500 qualifying speed chart — first, third, fifth, etc. Duel 2 is then the even-finishing drivers. NASCAR officials, though, ensure an even number of Open, non-Charter teams in each duel race.

The results of those two races will determine the cars that qualify for the Daytona 500, and where they line up on the grid. The winner of Duel 1 will start the Daytona 500 in third place, second place starts fifth, and so on through the inside row. The winner of Duel 2 will start the Daytona 500 in fourth place, second place starts sixth and so on through the outside row.

So for the main purpose of these 2 races, Tyler Reddick and Casey Mears have guaranteed they'll make the field on speed. If Reddick or Mears are the best non-chartered car in their race, Ryan Truex will make the Daytona 500. If Reddick and Mears are the best non-chartered cars in their races, Truex and Brendan Gaughan will make the Daytona 500. Parker Kligerman and Joey Gase must be the best finishing non-chartered car in each of their races to make the Daytona 500.

Meanwhile, B.J. McLeod and Cody Ware have nothing to worry about.

So for the main purpose of these 2 races, Tyler Reddick and Casey Mears have guaranteed they'll make the field on speed. If Reddick or Mears are the best non-chartered car in their race, Ryan Truex will make the Daytona 500. If Reddick and Mears are the best non-chartered cars in their races, Truex and Brendan Gaughan will make the Daytona 500. Parker Kligerman and Joey Gase must be the best finishing non-chartered car in each of their races to make the Daytona 500.

Meanwhile, B.J. McLeod and Cody Ware have nothing to worry about.
yeah because charters. :D

I maybe the only one who preferred the Duels in the afternoon. I didn't mind burning a half-day of vacation to watch them. Obviously they draw better TV ratings at night.

I liked the day races as well. Used to record the duels then stayed away from all media until I watched the races.

Sometimes I would take off and watch them live. If not I got off work at 3:30 so the second race was still going most of the time. The race is during the day so I guess it seems like a better feel for how the 500 will go. Plus I’m old school so I was used to it.

I think awarding 1 or 2 playoff points would be cool. It get's pretty close there at the end of the season so it would spice it up a bit.

Sidenote - Pockrass has been more than earning his salary since FOX signed him. Killin it.
he has no place to write his column which sucks, Fox's site is a disaster with nothing but video B.S. but yeah so good to see him around.

Reactions: Pat
last year all of the Daytona races were combined into one thread, Clash, Duals and the 500. This year started out with the clash as a separate thread.

I liked the day races as well. Used to record the duels then stayed away from all media until I watched the races.

I know at least as late as the late '90s, they were not broadcast live. Only way to follow was the radio, and CBS would broadcast them tape-delayed after the Busch race on Saturday.

last year all of the Daytona races were combined into one thread, Clash, Duals and the 500. This year started out with the clash as a separate thread.
I was asked to start it as a separate thread by several members, so I did. After all it is a stand alone race. The dual's are part of the 500 qualifying sequence.

I maybe the only one who preferred the Duels in the afternoon. I didn't mind burning a half-day of vacation to watch them. Obviously they draw better TV ratings at night.
I always did the same thing every year too. One of my favorite days of the year.
Now - I use that afternoon time to take a nap so I can stay awake till 10 or 10:30 p.m.

I will be very curious to see how the Hendricks pair in each race will work with each other or
even if they can stay close to each other. I am sure the Penskes, Gibbs, and Stewart Haas'
will be trying to divide and conqueror the Hendricks.

yeah they say it is the youngest front row in the History of the 500. I don't think it is going to go to well for Byron and Bowman with their experience level for the duels. I think it will be fun to see if they can last up front or make it to the end of the race.

yeah they say it is the youngest front row in the History of the 500. I don't think it is going to go to well for Byron and Bowman with their experience level for the duels. I think it will be fun to see if they can last up front or make it to the end of the race.
It's a plate race; the front row never remains there for long.

Pit stall selection for the duels. I don't know why the 88 is in the middle, I thought they had #2 choice or maybe #1 choice of pit stalls in the second dual. I wouldn't get within a block of Hamlin if I could avoid it.
upload_2019-2-12_12-36-51.png
upload_2019-2-12_12-37-37.png

I don't know why the 88 is in the middle
I thought about it and maybe it's because the 88 is guaranteed to start second on the front row and may fall to the back to keep his car safe. It's possible that he wanted to give the 9 his best chance for a "W".

yeah could be, I was thinking but over my head, maybe the 88 thinks being right behind the start finish line is an advantage somehow..IDK it kinda threw me, they seem to always take #1 or the first one coming in.

If you are looking to have more of your racing itch scratched, the iRacing NASCAR Peak AntiFreeze Series kicks off tonight at 9PM EST. For those of you who are not aware, this is a live event with real drivers using the iRacing platform.

Absolutely. It had been a tradition with my son and I to take the day off to watch it on TV. Great fun.

Back
Top Bottom