2019 -- Daytona 500 -- Pre-Race Thread

Anyone watching the Sr.-Gordon special?

I'm enjoying it. It's more about both respective career paths with an attempt at putting a rivalry twist on it.

DzbnmEZU0AAvNnD.jpg:large

I am a little concerned the 2x2 or 3x3 rows of plate racing may be a thing of the past - for now.
That was the main attraction for me at the plate tracks.
"The Train" may be the name of the game now. That low lane is a vortex to the back of the pack.

You got your wish.

I knew what to expect! I've watched enough duels in my day to have a realistic perspective on what was going to happen.

Just like when I watch a preseason football game I know I'm not going to see a truly all out competitive football game. It's test run to work out the kinks. The offenses aren't going to dig deep into the playbook, defenses will stick with certain formations regardless of what the opposing offenses are doing and starters might only play a half. The most important thing is to keep everyone healthy and apply what information was obtained to games of far more importance date down the road.

I knew what to expect! I've watched enough duels in my day to have a realistic perspective on what was going to happen.

Just like when I watch a preseason football game I know I'm not going to see a truly all out competitive football game. It's test run to work out the kinks. The offenses aren't going to dig deep into the playbook, defenses will stick with certain formations regardless of what the opposing offenses are doing and starters might only play a half. The most important thing is to keep everyone healthy and apply what information was obtained to games of far more importance date down the road.
quite a playbook ya have there gipper.

Pre-season football isn't marketed to me the same way a regular season game is. Those games get covered on the local affiliates by regional sports networks, not by networks and their booth crews in prime time. Heck, are preseason games in other sports even covered at all?

If I'm to regard these as pre-season, then quit marketing them to me as otherwise.

2019 Daytona 500 starting lineup
  1. William Byron
  2. Alex Bowman
  3. Kevin Harvick
  4. Joey Logano
  5. Rickey Stenhouse Jr.
  6. Clint Bowyer
  7. Paul Menard
  8. Aric Almirola
  9. Matt DiBenedetto
  10. Denny Hamlin
  11. Martin Truex Jr.
  12. Kurt Busch
  13. Bubba Wallace
  14. Ryan Blaney
  15. Chris Buescher
  16. Jamie McMurray
  17. Jimmie Johnson
  18. Chase Elliott
  19. Ryan Newman
  20. Austin Dillon
  21. Ryan Preece
  22. Ty Dillon
  23. Daniel Suarez
  24. David Ragan
  25. Parker Kligerman
  26. Kyle Larson
  27. Landon Cassill
  28. Erik Jones
  29. Daniel Hermic
  30. Brendan Gaughan
  31. Kyle Busch
  32. Corey LaJoie
  33. Matt Tifft
  34. Michael McDowell
  35. Brad Keselowski
  36. Ross Chastain
  37. Cody Ware
  38. BJ McLeod
  39. Tyler Reddick
  40. Casey Mears

Back in the day it sure wasn’t just running around making laps in the duels. Some were racing just to make the field which is almost gone in today’s NASCAR. If they aren’t going to try then just do away them. this is not helping their cause. I know Big E sure took it seriously.

Looking pretty racey in final practice! Hemric out there throwing blocks.

Fox showed somebody having a party on the infield, had a Kyle Busch cut out and they were blowing up balloons and everything.

and Kyle was fastest in practice. In some cases these teams can make the car better these days after a Johnson.

Back in the day it sure wasn’t just running around making laps in the duels. Some were racing just to make the field which is almost gone in today’s NASCAR. If they aren’t going to try then just do away them. this is not helping their cause. I know Big E sure took it seriously.

The duels were the same 15-20-25-30 years ago for those who did not need to race their way in. Here;s some results from the boom era. Imagine the complaints these days?!?! TV and the modern era and NASCAR simply don't jive.

1988 Race 1 Bobby Allison 50 laps led, Race 2 Darrell Waltrip 50 laps led
1989 Race 1 Ken Scrader 42 laps led, Race 2 Terry Labonte 8 laps led (Earnhardt led 42 laps, finished 3rd)
1990 Race 1 Geoff Bodine 2 laps led (competitive race), Race 2 Dale Earnhardt 24 laps led, Dick Trickle led the other 26 laps
1991 Race 1 Davey Allison 50 laps led, Race 2 Dale Earnhardt 50 laps led
1997 Race 1 Dale Jarrett 45 laps led, Irvan led other 5, Race 2 Dale Earnhardt 32 laps led John Andretti led the other 18 laps
1998 Race 1 Sterling Marlin 16 laps led (competitive race), Race 2 Dale Earnhardt 50 laps led
1999 Race 1 Bobby Labonte 11 laps led (Gordon led 39 laps, finished 2nd), Race 2 Dale Earnhardt 43 laps (Tony Stewart led other 7, finished 6th)
2000 Race 1 Bill Elliott 50 laps led, Race 2 Ricky Rudd 50 laps led

Pre-season football isn't marketed to me the same way a regular season game is. Those games get covered on the local affiliates by regional sports networks, not by networks and their booth crews in prime time. Heck, are preseason games in other sports even covered at all?

If I'm to regard these as pre-season, then quit marketing them to me as otherwise.

Preseason football starts with the Hall Fame Game in prime time on NBC. The next 3 weeks all have at least 1 national game on network TV. The only week there isn't TV coverage is the final one due to the start of college football. Preseason football has had national coverage for a long as I remember.

Preseason football starts with the Hall Fame Game in prime time on NBC. The next 3 weeks all have at least 1 national game on network TV. The only week there isn't TV coverage is the final one due to the start of college football. Preseason football has had national coverage for a long as I remember.

C'mon people, this is a racing thread, there are football threads.

C'mon people, this is a racing thread, there are football threads.

It's relative to TV schedules, ratings, interest and such. He asked how other sports handle secondary events/games and I responded. It relates to why Fox does the early season NASCAR while NBC gets the later season one. NBC only has to worry about prime time NFL games in the fall while Fox obviously has the regional afternoon slate thus making it impossible to give NASCAR it's due.

It's relative to TV schedules, ratings, interest and such. He asked how other sports handle secondary events/games and I responded. It relates to why Fox does the early season NASCAR while NBC gets the later season one. NBC only has to worry about prime time NFL games in the fall while Fox obviously has the regional afternoon slate thus making it impossible to give NASCAR it's due.
You have any idea who he was answering in the first place? What started the whole stick n ball off topic going in the first place?

You have any idea who he was answering in the first place? What started the whole stick n ball off topic going in the first place?

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. Penske made a comment regarding how I got my wish. I then said the duels were like preseason football and gave reasons why I felt such.Then Charlie Spencer quoted my comment suggesting he wasn't sure preseason football's TV arrangements and I provided him with some info regarding his question. I equated the duels to preseason football because I felt there were relevant parallels that can be drawn. I did so while making sure I kept NASCAR as the basis of my discourse.

I love intellectually stimulating conversation that involves NASCAR races, the history of NASCAR, the business of NASCAR, the future of NASCAR and how NASCAR relates to American sports culture! Sports are my passion and true love!! NASCAR is just a piece of the pie!

The duels were the same 15-20-25-30 years ago for those who did not need to race their way in. Here;s some results from the boom era. Imagine the complaints these days?!?! TV and the modern era and NASCAR simply don't jive.

1988 Race 1 Bobby Allison 50 laps led, Race 2 Darrell Waltrip 50 laps led
1989 Race 1 Ken Scrader 42 laps led, Race 2 Terry Labonte 8 laps led (Earnhardt led 42 laps, finished 3rd)
1990 Race 1 Geoff Bodine 2 laps led (competitive race), Race 2 Dale Earnhardt 24 laps led, Dick Trickle led the other 26 laps
1991 Race 1 Davey Allison 50 laps led, Race 2 Dale Earnhardt 50 laps led
1997 Race 1 Dale Jarrett 45 laps led, Irvan led other 5, Race 2 Dale Earnhardt 32 laps led John Andretti led the other 18 laps
1998 Race 1 Sterling Marlin 16 laps led (competitive race), Race 2 Dale Earnhardt 50 laps led
1999 Race 1 Bobby Labonte 11 laps led (Gordon led 39 laps, finished 2nd), Race 2 Dale Earnhardt 43 laps (Tony Stewart led other 7, finished 6th)
2000 Race 1 Bill Elliott 50 laps led, Race 2 Ricky Rudd 50 laps led
You lost me here. This doesn’t tell me much other than who lead the most laps.It would be a much clearer picture if it showed lead changes that’s the problem not who leads laps. Passing is the exciting part of racing regardless of who does it.

You lost me here. This doesn’t tell me much other than who lead the the most laps.It would be a much clearer picture if it showed lead changes that’s the problem not who leads laps. Passing is the exciting part of racing regardless of who does it.

The races were 50 laps/125 miles. Several races did not have a lead change. Several only had 1.

Back
Top Bottom