2019 -- Daytona 500 -- Pre-Race Thread

https://racingnews.co/2019/02/15/why-are-we-seeing-single-file-racing-at-daytona/

Why are we seeing single file racing at Daytona? Joey Logano, race winner of the second Duel at Daytona has the best explanation yet.

“It’s all driver mentality. It’s just kinda what everyone’s thinking,” Joey Logano said in the Daytona Media Center after the Daytona Duel win.

“I think what kinda leads the top to be strong is a few different things. One of them is the side draft is more effective to the right side of a car. You can slow them down more if you side draft from the right.”

“Once that’s in a driver’s head, ‘The bottom’s not going to work.’ And you have five guys that think that. Then when they get to the lead, they move to the wall.”

“I personally don’t think the bottom’s that bad,” Logano said.

“But, when you can only get 2,3 or maybe 5 cars with ya… it’s not enough. You gotta have 6 or 7 cars that are really committed to each other.”

“We were able to do that in The Clash. You gotta have the right lead car. You gotta have a fast car and you gotta have a driver that knows how to work the lanes.”

“If you do that, the bottom lane works. It’s easier said than done. Everyone’s looking at it saying, ‘Man, if I pull out of line and it doesn’t work then I’m going back to 35th.’

“I’m 7th or 8th right now. I don’t want to go back to 30th. If it doesn’t work, I’m way in the back and it’s going to take me forever to get back to the front and probably won’t get back to the front.”

:D:D

“He looks like he’s going to eat you every lap,” quipped Clint Bowyer.
upload_2019-2-16_12-0-26.png

Love Daytona but sad that we aren’t ant the track this year. Been the last 2 years. Great experience!

25 years ago Sterling Marlin wins his first race, the Daytona 500....

Last edited:
what is wrong with me?

have always hated RP races, but can't wait for the start of today's Daytona 500.

oh that's right: i'm a race fan!

Bob Pockrass‏Verified account @bobpockrass

Damaged cars (as long as no injuries) not a concern today. With new aero rules for Talladega, these cars likely will be primarily junked after today.

Jeff Gluck‏Verified account @jeff_gluck
NASCAR CEO Jim France tells drivers in drivers meeting (watching on monitor): “I hope a few of you drivers will get down on the bottom with Denny and Chase and make a show today.”

Sounds like Denny and Chase's problem.
Not really. It's my concern as a fan if nobody but those two want to race and the rest of the field wants to rim ride. Would they do the same thing and stay up top if they were in the truck race? Me thinks not.

Bob Pockrass‏Verified account @bobpockrass

Damaged cars (as long as no injuries) not a concern today. With new aero rules for Talladega, these cars likely will be primarily junked after today.

Jeff Gluck‏Verified account @jeff_gluck
NASCAR CEO Jim France tells drivers in drivers meeting (watching on monitor): “I hope a few of you drivers will get down on the bottom with Denny and Chase and make a show today.”

What in the world is France talking about? Telling drivers how to race? Ohh that's right he said "make a show" today. At least the sports leadership are being as transparent as the announcers. It's not "racing" it's "action". They'll be more wrecks today and controversy aka more action than the Xfinity race don't worry.

Back
Top Bottom