2019 -- Daytona 500 -- Pre-Race Thread

France should have said I swear if you race like those points sucking goldbricks raced yesterday, ani't none of ya going to make it out of the tent without a DQ.

Its gonna be a different kind of racing today, we will see two lanes at times but remember at times we will also see single file racing, it nothing new so everyone try to be a little patient. I promise you wont see them stay in line at the end like those bozos did yesterday during the final 30 laps. Have fun yall!

Its gonna be a different kind of racing today, we will see two lanes at times but remember at times we will also see single file racing, it nothing new so everyone try to be a little patient. I promise you wont see them stay in line at the end like those bozos did yesterday during the final 30 laps. Have fun yall!
So I can skip the first 170 laps? :p

You have fun too!

eh lets hope so. Interesting I have been seeing some roof flaps a little high in practices when they get into the pack. I wonder about Kez's car yesterday might have been another experiment about one that went wrong

Doesn't take much

eh lets hope so. Interesting I have been seeing some roof flaps a little high in practices when they get into the pack. I wonder about Kez's car yesterday might have been another experiment about one that went wrong

Doesn't take much

I thought the problem was with the escape hatch over the driver's head? Aren't the flap toward the back of the roof?

I always thought you go faster when you're single fine in the draft. Running side by side should slow the cars down because of the added drag. It also makes the cars more unstable which will cause more issues. I'm hoping the drivers are smart and line up and log laps then race when it's to roll.

Holy heck just heard on pre-race the great Glen Wood passed a month ago.

Wood himself drove in the inaugural 1959 Daytona 500 and won the race five times as team owner. He attended every Speedweeks in Daytona since 1947 until his deteriorating health and fear of widespread flu kept him home for the first time last season.

Glen Wood always rode by car to Daytona Beach, driving a 1940 two-door Ford on his first trip in 1947. Wood took every ride through eight decades in a Ford.“

Have loved the 21 car since the 60s.

RIP

https://www.yakimaherald.com/sports...cle_5164922f-0fa6-58e9-8b8f-bbf055095645.html

Seems to me in the not-too-distant past, most drivers were happily following DaleJr around the top of both Daytona and Talladega.
The "Pied Piper" of racing at plate tracks.
I think there's a critical piece of information in your post. Let's see if I can figure out exactly what it is. ;)

Seems to me in the not-too-distant past, most drivers were happily following DaleJr around the top of both Daytona and Talladega.
The "Pied Piper" of racing at plate tracks.

It wasn't just Earnhardt Jr.!! It was everyone. Running side by side at Daytona and Dega is not smart in practical race terms. It slows the cars down and creates instability. Coming off 4 and through tri-oval lap after lap will not end well. The truck race showed that. Those guys were short on talent and technique. It turned into a clown show of epic proportions. Obviously more talent in Cup so it wouldn't be as bad. Still, they'll be victims of circumstance.

They couldn’t get George Strait for the concert? Good god, the sea of humanity in the infield, that’s so cool!

Brad made a good comment there. Everyone can’t run single file on that high line because of the heat. That whole top is gonna marble up and be way too slick

they have rest time at the end of stages to get refreshed.

Right? Those guys back in the day who raced when the field would get spread out and there would be little side by side racing outside of pass here and pass there (mostly blowing by lapped cars) were slouches. Real men pack race side by side for 200 laps without wrecking!!

I can't wait for NBC to be back

They're trying to back time this so that it ends as close to 6:30 eastern as possible, knowing that's when most people will be tuning in.

is DW doing the boggity BS this year? need to know if I need to mute the start of the race or not :)

D500-3:05pm ET Sunday
They must have changed it. This from NASCARs Home page.

FOX_300x100.png
RCR_Broadcasters_MRN.png

DAYTONA INTERNATIONAL SPEEDWAY
Sunday, February 17th | 2:30 PM ET

They're trying to back time this so that it ends as close to 6:30 eastern as possible, knowing that's when most people will be tuning in.

Should be going head-2-head with the end of golf on CBS. It's a stacked leader board at Riviera so they'll be a good amount of casual sports eyeballs on that. Especially if Tiger makes a late charge like he did yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom