2019 F1 News Thread

Grosjean again for Haas in 2020. I'm somewhat surprised at this news as I expected Hulkenberg to get the seat. I've been a long-time supporter of Grosjean as a shoe, but this year both Haas drivers have been seriously disappointing, as has the team.

Grosjean keeps Haas F1 seat for 2020

The Haas Formula 1 team will field an unchanged driver line-up in 2020, having opted to retain Romain Grosjean alongside Kevin Magnussen.

Grosjean, who has been with the American outfit since it joined F1 in 2016, faced doubts over his continued involvement with Haas beyond 2019, as team boss Gunther Steiner confirmed the likes of Esteban Ocon - now signed for Renault - and Nico Hulkenberg were candidates to take his spot.

However, it's been decided the Frenchman will remain part of Haas' F1 roster for a fifth straight season and will continue to partner Magnussen, whose contract already ran through 2020....

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/grosjean-keeps-haas-seat-hulkenberg/4543516/

Hulkenburg is close to being ousted out of F1 due to freaking money. Supposedly Nico did not want a one year deal for 2020 with Renault. The thing is Prost said Nico is too, "Pessimistic and negative" about the team... This is a weird situation as to why Nico was dropped for Ocon:
https://m.wheels24.co.za/FormulaOne/hulkenberg-too-negative-for-renault-prost-20190911

Now, Ferrari wants Giovanzzi in the second seat next year for Alfa:
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/giovinazzi-hulkenberg-alfa-romeo-2020/4543630/

Gio is the first Italian driver in the field since Trulli retired in 2011, so I could see why he's being a second chance. He's going to need to be closer and possibly beat Raikkonen IMO to really prove he was worth the wait.

Hass deserves to have both cars crashed every race from now on.

I do not understand this move to keep Grosjean. Is it a situation where no one else wants to drive for this team or do they honestly have that much faith in Grosjean? I started watching F1 full time recently in 2016 and he just hasn't impressed me at all.

Grosjean again for Haas in 2020. I'm somewhat surprised at this news as I expected Hulkenberg to get the seat. I've been a long-time supporter of Grosjean as a shoe, but this year both Haas drivers have been seriously disappointing, as has the team.

Grosjean keeps Haas F1 seat for 2020

The Haas Formula 1 team will field an unchanged driver line-up in 2020, having opted to retain Romain Grosjean alongside Kevin Magnussen.

Grosjean, who has been with the American outfit since it joined F1 in 2016, faced doubts over his continued involvement with Haas beyond 2019, as team boss Gunther Steiner confirmed the likes of Esteban Ocon - now signed for Renault - and Nico Hulkenberg were candidates to take his spot.

However, it's been decided the Frenchman will remain part of Haas' F1 roster for a fifth straight season and will continue to partner Magnussen, whose contract already ran through 2020....

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/grosjean-keeps-haas-seat-hulkenberg/4543516/

Removing things we don't know about like cash transfers and business-to-business transactions, this move of Haas keeping both Grosjean and Magnussen makes zero sense. They've been worst team in the field this year bar Williams.

If I were Williams, I'd try to do everything I can to have Hulkenberg in a car next year. The finances are such they probably don't work out to do that, but with all his experience they desperately need someone behind the wheel that can develop a car.

I'm blown away by the retention of Grosjean at Haas. Makes no sense to me whatsoever...that team has been an absolute trainwreck this year.

Inexpereince IMO or Hulk was possibly asking for too much.

Or both.
I really do not see them overtaking anyone in the WCC the rest of the season; they're currently sitting 9th. If they perform like this again next year they're leaving a lot of money on the table. I'd like to hope not but it's very questionable.

I really do not see them overtaking anyone in the WCC the rest of the season; they're currently sitting 9th. If they perform like this again next year they're leaving a lot of money on the table. I'd like to hope not but it's very questionable.
The car this season has been an absolute dud, I think they put that into account with also keeping the chemistry together by keeping the same drivers. I was expecting Grojsean to be gone because of the silly errors and crashes he's been involved in.

Yet, I think Haas thought about the car being an absolute dud with keeping and retaining tire temperature. Also, running two separate spec cars through the season, maybe they thought about the team failing the drivers. Give them both another chance and see where they are come next season, at least IMO.

Leclerc is on a roll.

Vettel made too many mistakes on his final lap. Crazy because both drivers made mistakes during their laps.

Woooowwwwwwww

Holy **** indeed and Mercedes has re-upped with Williams as well. Renault will only have the works team, I wonder if anybody will sign with Renault to use their engines? It will be huge with the new regulations come 2021, but I wonder would Lewis Hamilton be interested in finishing his career with McLaren?

Engine breakdown now:
Ferrari - Ferrari, Sauber, and Haas
Renault - Renault
Honda - Red Bull and Toro Rosso
Mercedes - Mercedes, Racing Point, McLaren, and Williams

That escalated quickly. Zak Brown and co. are serious about taking McLaren back to the top of the series for certain, and this might be their best move yet.

Holy **** indeed and Mercedes has re-upped with Williams as well. Renault will only have the works team, I wonder if anybody will sign with Renault to use their engines? It will be huge with the new regulations come 2021, but I wonder would Lewis Hamilton be interested in finishing his career with McLaren?

Engine breakdown now:
Ferrari - Ferrari, Sauber, and Haas
Renault - Renault
Honda - Red Bull and Toro Rosso
Mercedes - Mercedes, Racing Point, McLaren, and Williams
At this point, I don't see why anyone would switch to Renault. They don't have a particular performance or reliability edge over any of the other three as it is now and I wouldn't be willing to bet Mercedes or Ferrari suddenly lose their edge when the new engines debut. If anyone were to switch eventually I would guess Racing Point or Williams but I think they both have other priorities for the foreseeable future.

Qualifying races plan has “unanimous support” from teams – Brawn

28th September 2019, 20:21 | Written by Keith Collantine

The controversial plan to hold ‘qualifying races’ at some rounds of the 2020 F1 season has the “unanimous support” of teams, according to the sport’s motorsport director Ross Brawn.

https://www.racefans.net/2019/09/28/qualifying-races-has-unanimous-support-from-teams-brawn/

I find this to be wholly unnecessary and I don't even know who they think they are going to attract with this, yes, gimmick. Core F1 fans find qualifying as it is to be exciting, as much or more so than the race. Casual fans aren't going to be persuaded to watch preliminary events anyway. Is this an at-the-track enhancement for less serious fans? I suppose, but those people attend Grands Prix for reasons that have very little to do with how 'entertaining' the racing is.

I think this signals a certain desperation and a lack of seriousness about fixing the actual technical problems the series faces, but that's me. I will be no more forgiving of the "give the fans a show" approach than I am elsewhere when it upends the tradition and identity of how the sport is contested.

https://www.racefans.net/2019/09/28/qualifying-races-has-unanimous-support-from-teams-brawn/

I find this to be wholly unnecessary and I don't even know who they think they are going to attract with this, yes, gimmick. Core F1 fans find qualifying as it is to be exciting, as much or more so than the race. Casual fans aren't going to be persuaded to watch preliminary events anyway. Is this an at-the-track enhancement for less serious fans? I suppose, but those people attend Grands Prix for reasons that have very little to do with how 'entertaining' the racing is.

I think this signals a certain desperation and a lack of seriousness about fixing the actual technical problems the series faces, but that's me. I will be no more forgiving of the "give the fans a show" approach than I am elsewhere when it upends the tradition and identity of how the sport is contested.

I find it hard to believe the teams are up for this. The drivers are most definitely not.

This seems like unnecessary extra work should driver x crashes or something along those lines. Also determining the grid based on a sprint race is trash. Just because you're a "fast" driver doesn't always mean you're going to plow through the field just because you're "fast."

Is this F1 or NASCAR?

F1 needs less races. They should go back to a maximum of 18 races a year

What, why?

As a racing fan, why do you say that? Less is not more in terms of a racing fan goes.

I didn't say add more either though. Just drop a race or two to make room. As to which...Paul Ricard is one that comes to mind.

What, why?

As a racing fan, why do you say that? Less is not more in terms of a racing fan goes.

I didn't say add more either though. Just drop a race or two to make room. As to which...Paul Ricard is one that comes to mind.
I think there is a point where enough is enough.
There are races in countries where the sport has no fan base at all and I don't think those countries deserve an F1 race.

What we have now on the schedule, in terms of quantity, is pretty stout. I would be okay with not adding or subtracting any race dates. Maybe just swapping out some of the current grands prix for potentially better tracks, like Zandvoort, Brands Hatch, Mugello. Zandvoort would be the Dutch Grand Prix, obviously, and the others I mentioned along with any current European racing facility that carries any clout in a major national series could serve as a European Grand Prix.

Not that I'll be able to afford to go most likely but another U.S. grand prix, especially in a market like Miami, would be good for the series in America, even if the course itself isn't likely to be too inspiring.

I'd figure it would be probably the first, no later than second weekend in May though so I don't think it would really interfere with run-up to the Indy 500. It's not like the Indy GP conflicting with qualifying Saturday in Miami would be a big detraction, right?

The international Sky coverage is plainly superior to what an American effort can muster, at least until that "increased U.S. presence" they keep promising happens. So I would call this good news.

Penske is ruining racing.

He done ****** up V8. Totally unwatchable these days. Granted, F1 is already kind of ruined but holy ****, take a breather.

Before ya'll get on me, I am saying this in a positive way..for him. His cars are just way fast and untouchable.

Holy crap!

Oof, the bit about them selling engines to Red Bull almost derails these rumors.

I read a while back RB wanted Mercedes power before they went with Honda and they wouldn't do it. Then again, this is contigent on Penske buying them. But it would still be a risky move.

Holy crap!

Oof, the bit about them selling engines to Red Bull almost derails these rumors.

I read a while back RB wanted Mercedes power before they went with Honda and they wouldn't do it. Then again, this is contigent on Penske buying them. But it would still be a risky move.

With the German automotive industry struggling, it doesn't really surprise me that Mercedes considers selling the F1 team.
Penske buying it would be better for racing than Mr. Mazepin buying his son an F1 ride.

No Felipe Baby, please.

It hurts my heart to even hear about 2014, so many opprotunties lost by Williams that season. Ugh.
They were easily the 2nd car overall on the grid that year. Only reason they finished 3rd came down to Danny’s 3 wins in a other wise not great Red Bull.

Back
Top Bottom