2019 Gander Outdoors Truck Series Thread

I wanted Ross but I don't have a problem with Matt picking up another trophy.

This series has what Xfinity needs - a core of veteran regulars who aren't looking to move up, drivers who offer the kids competition challenging enough to help them develop without overwhelming them like Cup drivers do.

Matt Crafton hasn’t won a race since Eldora in 2017. Yet he’s your 2019 champion. This points system is AIDS.

That’s nothing to take away from Matt and Thorsport. They played the game NASCAR put out and outperformed the other guys last night.

Honestly, Austin Hill should be the champion. Martinsville cost them the title. They’ve had the most raw speed the last couple months IMO.

Matt Crafton hasn’t won a race since Eldora in 2017. Yet he’s your 2019 champion. This points system is AIDS.
This could have happened under any points system NASCAR has used in the past. It will remain a possibility until NASCAR either excludes non-winners from a playoff format, or awards so many points for a win that non-winners are left behind.

Personally, I don't have a problem with non-winners claiming a title, but what do I know; I'm a Kenseth fan. ;)

That’s nothing to take away from Matt and Thorsport. They played the game NASCAR put out and outperformed the other guys last night.

Honestly, Austin Hill should be the champion. Martinsville cost them the title. They’ve had the most raw speed the last couple months IMO.
Woulda coulda shoulda

I think that’s a bit dramatic. The system is set up now to give the drama of a single-race, winner take all format to end the season. If you can finish in the top 4, you’ll get that chance, with a win or not. Sometimes wild card teams win it all in other sports and that’s part of the drama that we all love about sports.

I don’t think it will happen very often that a team without a win will make the final four, but if it does I don’t think it means the system is flawed. To me the question isn’t whether the 88 team didn’t deserve to win over the other three (24, 45, 52) - the better question is whether a team that didn’t make it should have. I think the 16 with four wins is the only team with an argument but their average finished was considerably worse than the 88. The 88 also had one more stage win. But I can see an argument for a minor tweak on win points - but I like the system now. I don’t think a winless team is going to win a championship very often - or even maybe almost never. But if it does happen because a winless team pointed into the final and then finished ahead of the other three, so be it. He’s the champion.

Hill screwed himself a bit when he kept playing footsies with Sauter. DNF's are really tough when stage points are involved, and 6 DNF's will do it to ya.
It is possible in every series under this points system, although highly improbable, to have a win less season and be able to win the title. Kind of ironic that some who have been complaining about the new system wanted exactly that to happen and when it did they are up in arms, indignant and butt hurt. Nobody gave Crafton a chance, nobody, I sure didn't. And Toyota wins the manufacturer championship, not because they had the fastest truck all year using full time truck drivers, but because they had two cup drivers win 6 races. So on one hand people complain about not winning a race for the driver championship and then in another area there are controversial wins by cup drivers winning the manufacturer championship. Both sides followed the rules of the series.

Crafton's winning the championship last night highlights everything that is wrong with having an arbitrary number of driver's "4" square off for 1 race to determine what is supposed to represent a season long championship.

Reward the best team of the season. Not the better team of 1 race that snuck their way into a finale.

Of course this is nothing against Crafton personally. It's the product of a flawed idea that ignored the legitimacy of a championship in racing.

Crash Stats for 2019, not surprising to anyone was lead by Natalie Decker with 15, though followed closely by Gus Dean with 13.

Back
Top Bottom