2019 Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
BarberMotorsportsPark.png

Interesting setup for Sunday. No Andretti, and for the first time since Long Beach 2014 no Penske in the Fast Six - followed up by the first front row sweep for RLL since...

Been trying to split my attention between the two races - Sato and Dixon are on the three-stop strategy, Bourdais on two. Power spun on his own, Herta has another Honda engine issue. Most others are on three-stop as well I think besides Pigot.

Exactly what Coyne wanted.

Chilton and Rahal's car has died. This might play into Seabass' hand.

Classic Foyt.

Sato is going to have to defend like hell, I think Dixon is right behind him.

30 is about the window here, which bodes well for a boring Dixon fuel save victory.

Marco is actually underrated with his wheel-to-wheel ability IMO.

He's just never had the speed to really show it. Very respectable job by him and Ferruci to keep it clean.

Taku was stinking it up and remembered it was't his style to coast to victory like that. That offroad excursion aside, he was flawless - very big weekend for Taku and RLL as a whole.

Penske were terrible this weekend, not sure what all went on there. But a very rare weekend for them. And more broadly Chevy can't be happy with one car in the top eight.

Taku was stinking it up and remembered it was't his style to coast to victory like that. That offroad excursion aside, he was flawless - very big weekend for Taku and RLL as a whole.

Penske were terrible this weekend, not sure what all went on there. But a very rare weekend for them. And more broadly Chevy can't be happy with one car in the top eight.

Woo Honda putting it on em

I had a DVR issue Sunday, so didn't get this race, but fortunately there was a re-air Monday. I love a Taku Sato win, the guy is so happy that it's infectious. The race overall was basically a parade, but a pretty one at jewel-like Barber. #LessDownforceMorePower

Figured I'd be the IndyCar Death Bed guy and point out the 0.2 rating & 296,000 viewers, attendance was good, but that rating is pretty disappointing.
That is objectively bad, yeah. I think taking the Disney deal would've been better in several aspects but you couldn't convince the average IndyCar fan that - at this point there's not much to do but hope NBC turning up their promotional juices in May and then the majority of races from May onwards being on NBC proper turns things around. It's certainly a disappointment though and I wouldn't doubt if the series and NBC felt the same. St. Pete did reasonably well but the COTA and Barber numbers have been blah.

A couple of nuggets that were dropped pretty quietly this past weekend...

The 2.3-mile, 17-turn natural terrain road course will be getting repaved for only the second time, and the first time in fifteen years. Mr. Barber was not happy with the first paving job in 2003 and had it redone the next year.

Hallman told TSO that paving technology has changed a lot in 15 years and the process they will be using have almost invisible seams.

Possible changes to the track at Barber Motorsports Park when they repave have been discussed, but no decision has been made.

Back
Top Bottom