2019 Indianapolis – Big Machine Vodka 400 -- Pre-Race Thread

That's why Menard won it?

Mastery of a track is one criterion for winning while luck sometimes can be a bigger factor. Doesn't change the demanding nature of this track.

It’s not even made for stock cars lol.

In this respect, it feels like at road course to me sometimes. As @StandOnIt has pointed out to me personally, driving a car that doesn't want to be on a particular track takes driver skill. While aero is a bigger deal at Indy v. a road course, the corners remind me of that point. Having said that, getting off of 2 and 4 is crucial to straight away speed.

That's why Menard won it?
Menard won on fuel strategy and is the only real schmuck to have won the race. Take a look at the winners here and for the most part it’s a who’s who of NASCAR for the past quarter century.

Statistically, there is not a singular track or race where the winner correlates as much to the eventual season champion or where a driver’s finish so closely corresponds to their average finish across the rest of the schedule more than the Brickyard 400 and IMS. It’s arguably the best measuring stick for individual and team ability in the series.

Menard won on fuel strategy and is the only real schmuck to have won the race. Take a look at the winners here and for the most part it’s a who’s who of NASCAR for the past quarter century.

Statistically, there is not a singular track or race where the winner correlates as much to the eventual season champion or where a driver’s finish so closely corresponds to their average finish across the rest of the schedule more than the Brickyard 400 and IMS. It’s arguably the best measuring stick for individual and team ability in the series.
“But it’s not entertaining enough and needs to be taken off the schedule...” :bsflag:

Biggest problem for watching NASCAR at Indy -- open-wheel history and performance is burned into the mind of fans.

Last edited:
Biggest problem for watching NASCAR at Indy -- open-wheel history and performance is burned into the mind of fans.
I agree. I still enjoy the NASCAR race there but Indy cars at Indy has always and will always be my favorite race of any kind of motorsports. Damn you Rick Mears, the Unsers, AJ Foyt, Mario and Michael Andretti, Johnny Rutherford, and Jim Nebors singing "Back Home In Indiana" for getting older and retiring...I was hoping you guys would race Indy for ever.:(

Indy is another track that the increasing lap speeds has not been kind to. The faster the cars have gone, the more the usable part of the racetrack has narrowed up, making moves like what is shown in the video much more difficult if not impossible to pull off. I really AM curious to see how the new package looks on the Cup cars at Indy.

As for your trollish second question... why I care about racing... I'm gonna cut you a break and ignore it.
No trolling. I'm seriously interested in what makes you care about a sport (not exclusively racing) if it isn't for the entertainment value. I've always thought of sports as entertainment, comparable to movies or concerts or fiction, something people do to occupy their discretionary time.

Last edited:
I'm one of those guys that is fascinated by attendance and seating capacities and stuff like that so pin me as "that guy" with attendance. But if this is a crown jewel race than it needs to get back to having crown jewel like attendance. Sorry but they should be getting 60-70K here and closing off some sections.

It's tough to win in Cup. Here's the top 5 lap leaders that never won the Brickyard:

1) Juan Pablo Montoya
2) Rusty Wallace
3) Jeff Burton
4) Ernie Irvan
5) Denny Hamlin
Rusty had some good cars there in the first running's of the race, he was oh so close many a time. Denny would be my pick this weekend if I was still in it in Pick Em.... in fact if I was in Vegas I'd have to wager on him. As far as Juan Montoya my all time favorite CART/Indy Car driver.... it would have been damn poetic if he could have won there and became the only man ever to win the Indy 500 and Brickyard 400. Good list you have there.

If there is anyone wanting to come to Indy for the race Sunday I don't think you will have a problem finding a hotel, or ticket. The hotels are getting a large amount of cancellations due to the weather down south and east coast. The hotel I stay at in Brownsburg always has a lot of race teams and fans from all the different racing series staying here and when I got back from the hauler parade tonight I expected the parking lot would be full and it was just the opposite. I asked the manager if the weather was the cause and he said yes that they had a lot of cancellations in the past couple of days.

I enjoyed the race more when the stands were packed. Strange how empty stands can suck the energy out of race even when you're sitting at home. Spectacle made the Brickyard special to me and that's gone now. It's another race and a sad reminder of what once was.

Does JGR sweep the crown jewels this year?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I enjoyed the race more when the stands were packed. Strange how empty stands can suck the energy out of race even when you're sitting at home. Spectacle made the Brickyard special to me and that's gone now. It's another race and a sad reminder of what once was.

I agree. It wouldn't be so bad though really if they could get 70-100K like the Daytona, Charlotte & Bristol do.

I agree. It wouldn't be so bad though really if they could get 70-100K like the Daytona, Charlotte & Bristol do.
Fans can see the whole track at Daytona, Charlotte, and Bristol. For at least one race each they have as much spectacle as Indy, for those who are into that.

Fans can see the whole track at Daytona, Charlotte, and Bristol. For at least one race each they have as much spectacle as Indy, for those who are into that.

Can they see a lot of the track in some areas at Daytona though? I think the renovations did bring more upper level seating, no? I'm honestly asking because I've only been to LVMS, Sonoma, Fontana, PHX, KS, NHMS.

But yes, I went to Sonoma in 2013 & 2019 and I honestly didn't enjoy it as much as other races, at least on race day. Wandering around was still pretty cool. But not being able to see the whole track makes a big difference for me.

Indy is another track that the increasing lap speeds has not been kind to. The faster the cars have gone, the more the usable part of the racetrack has narrowed up, making moves like what is shown in the video much more difficult if not impossible to pull off. I really AM curious to see how the new package looks on the Cup cars at Indy.

The Xfiniies looked good during practice, the track has a bit better grip because of some kind of sealer, and it was surprising to see them be able to race side by side in the corners. Cup practice today should give us a hint how they will do with the package.

Can they see a lot of the track in some areas at Daytona though?
In most sections, yes. A lot more sections than Indy, with a lot less of the track obscured. If I thought Indy offered the greatest racing of the season, I still wouldn't pay money again for seats where I could see only half the track at best. That's part of why it won't draw like the other tracks @AuzGrams mentioned. I don't get why anyone would go a second time.

Can they see a lot of the track in some areas at Daytona though? I think the renovations did bring more upper level seating, no? I'm honestly asking because I've only been to LVMS, Sonoma, Fontana, PHX, KS, NHMS.

But yes, I went to Sonoma in 2013 & 2019 and I honestly didn't enjoy it as much as other races, at least on race day. Wandering around was still pretty cool. But not being able to see the whole track makes a big difference for me.
Most sections, but we sit high up when we go. I wanna say about 45-50 rows up? Usually sit pit road exit and I have to say I’ve never been disappointed

He says he has to take his helmet off before he gets out of the car. Geesh
I guess next time he stops in the middle of the track with smoke bellowing out of the car and inside the car and we can't even see if he's moving.. we can just say Oh it's ok. He is taking his helmet off.:rolleyes:

Agreed. My first ever race in person was the 96 running of the brickyard. The electricity in the air was amazing then. Wild to compare it to what happens today when they go to Indy. Kinda sad.

12:00 PM

SUN
Cloudy 71° 71°
20%
68% SSE 2 mph
1:00 PM

SUN
Cloudy 71° 71°
15%
65% S 3 mph
2:00 PM

SUN