2020 Daytona 500 Pre-Race Thread

If fifty miles of single file, freight train racing doesn’t get your blood pumping and heart rate elevated, then I honestly have no idea what to tell you.
It was sooo exciting see that Germlin rolling around Daytona at a blistering 70mph

What lap was the comp caution suppose to be on?, was it lap 20? I am still kind of confused if the the caution came for that or the rain

I don't think there was supposed to be one, or at least I didnt hear it mentioned. They went to commercial on lap 17, so I don't believe there was a planned competition caution.

For what it is worth rain cleared the track at 7:45 tonight.

Ehhh...that'd lead to a 9:30 start time at best (optimistic given the track size and night time). Over at 12:30am EST is not unprecedented.

Honestly I think re-scheduling it for 4pm tomorrow ending in "TV primetime" is a better call.

I don't think there was supposed to be one, or at least I didnt hear it mentioned. They went to commercial on lap 17, so I don't believe there was a planned competition caution.
I thought I heard that was going to be one , hmm

Ehhh...that'd lead to a 9:30 start time at best (optimistic given the track size and night time). Over at 12:30am EST is not unprecedented.

Honestly I think re-scheduling it for 4pm tomorrow ending in "TV primetime" is a better call.
So now with 4:00 restarts fans are going to need to book another day just to be safe. I am going to Atlanta and booked Sunday night in case of a delay. If now they are going to start at 4 on Monday, then I guess I need to book Monday night as well. NASCAR just continues to screw with the fans attending the race.

So now with 4:00 restarts fans are going to need to book another day just to be safe. I am going to Atlanta and booked Sunday night in case of a delay. If now they are going to start at 4 on Monday, then I guess I need to book Monday night as well. NASCAR just continues to screw with the fans attending the race.

Yeah, that's the ****y part. How many fans have to drive back home after the race Monday, some of them driving several hundred miles, and working early Tuesday? I would be really annoyed with the 4pm start time if I were them.

Reactions: Pat
Yeah, that's the ****y part. How many fans have to drive back home after the race Monday, some of them driving several hundred miles, and working early Tuesday? I would be really annoyed with the 4pm start time if I were them.

Absolutely! A 11 or 12 start and people can get home at a reasonable hour tomorrow night (end of the late local news) even if they have 6-8 hour drive. If I decided to make the trip my plan was to do a 5 PM Friday until 4:30 Tuesday car rental. My line of thinking was I would have plenty of time to get back to PA on Tuesday with a Monday rain date. Well I would have been both wrong and screwed.

I'm leaning heavily towards going to Atlanta since i opted out of the 500. I went to Martinsville the last two years (well '18 i couldn't stay on monday with the snow) as my late winter/early spring race/golf gettaway but with the date change to May I got a curveball thrown my way. Atlanta is pretty easy trip and lodging is cheap.

Nascar schedules the races, not the weather.

Not everyone's options allow but in the days when my family and I attended races, we always padded days on the back end of race weekends. Never missed a rescheduled race.

Sure, not everyone has the kind of schedule to allow for that but that's on them, not Nascar. Not everyone can be accommodated under every circumstance. While it sucks for those that will be unable to stay, it's a risk you take when attending a sport entirely dependant on the weather. You gotta deal with it or find a new sport.

Not everyone's options allow but in the days when my family and I attended races, we always padded days on the back end of race weekends. Never missed a rescheduled race.

Sure, not everyone has the kind of schedule to allow for that but that's on them, not Nascar. Not everyone can be accommodated under every circumstance. While it sucks for those that will be unable to stay, it's a risk you take when attending a sport entirely dependant on the weather. You gotta deal with it or find a new sport.

Generally I agree. I've been to just about 100 Cup races and thankfully only missed one, Martinsville 2018, and that was due to a rather historic snow event. You have to be able to plan for a rainout imo but your plans are only as good as some good luck. Wasn't there a Michigan race in the last 10-15 years that was rained out 2-3 straight days? The 1998 Pepsi was postponed a couple of months iirc due to wildfires. Sometimes things just get really bleeped up. I wonder how many people at the 500 yesterday realized there was a predetermined 4 pm Monday rain date? I'm counting my lucky stars that i opted not go because I did not know the 4 pm rain date time. I've been brainwashed/conditioned like many others to 11 am or noon.

How they'll handle Pocono if there's a weekend of rain will test tv, the track and fans like nothing ever before.

Thanks.

I’ll set up the VCR. It’s been blinking 00:00 for weeks so we’ll have to work our way past that.

Haha! I have a clock on my range and microwave in the kitchen and a clock I was given when I left the Navy and they all have a time on them but none are anywhere near accurate. If not for my cell phone I would never know what time it is ;)

P.S. - I have a friend who has a VCR and an enormous collection of movies and I mentioned to him that if his VCR ever dies he will never find a new one in a store. He immediately went online and found a "new/old stock" one and bought it as a backup. I think he has every movie that John Wayne ever made :salute:

When I was in high school, freshman year (1999. I’m old) my parents bought me a TV....with the VCR in the tv. Greatest thing ever, I’d tape everything (races included) and watch at my leisure. I also played video games on it and watched VCR movies. I was bummed when the TV died somewhere around my junior or senior year of college.

When I've planned on attending a race , I've .always added extra days, in case of weather. I do this up to a year in advance, That way, I can accrue the needed time for a few extra days . Planning . that's the key for me.

We let our grandkids watch the old Disney movies on them but when I watch them it drives me crazy because I am so spoiled I can’t handle anything but HD. :p

When I was in high school, freshman year (1999. I’m old) my parents bought me a TV....with the VCR in the tv. Greatest thing ever, I’d tape everything (races included) and watch at my leisure. I also played video games on it and watched VCR movies. I was bummed when the TV died somewhere around my junior or senior year of college.

I have one of those that has been in my storage closet - small B/W screen. I haven't fired it up in about a decade but I bet it still works. Make an offer :smile:

EQ6DM5JW4AAeG8k

6am. Sunday, February 16 ...

“Good morning, this is The White House logistics planning room. How can I help you?”

“Yeah ... This is Steve Phelps from NASCAR. The weather forecast isn’t very good for this afternoon so I’ma bump the start time. You’ll have to have AF1, POTUS and his entourage here 3 hours earlier than planned.”

“Can you reschedule the flyover or do I have to call The Pentagon for that? Thanks so much for taking care of this. We always put half of our fans first.”

What sucked most about yesterday to me is all of the potential new viewers that were tuned in and ready to take in the sport for the first time. As soon as they parked the cars for the first rain delay, I knew we had lost those folks. And I highly doubt they're coming back to watch at 4pm on a Monday.

What sucked most about yesterday to me is all of the potential new viewers that were tuned in and ready to take in the sport for the first time. As soon as they parked the cars for the first rain delay, I knew we had lost those folks. And I highly doubt they're coming back to watch at 4pm on a Monday.

Yes, that's what I've been saying! They all went to XFL football or the NBA all-star game.

Can anyone tell me if it's going to be on Fox Sports or FS1?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Finally got the 32 to fire off. Sun on the ground, good sign for weather.

Reactions: Pat
When are they going green? Shortly after 4?

I know it's the day after, but I would still expect 30 minutes of pre-race stuff. Even FS1 and FS2 have nothing right now. They would rather show an XFL replay, or a sports show with fake journalist hot take clowns yelling at each other.

Back
Top Bottom