2020 Daytona Speedweeks schedule

I could care less about qualifying practice on a plate track. It's single car runs and not much to see. But the race practices not being shown is an attention getter. Fox reducing it more and more each year. Maybe the ratings aren't there to support it.

I could care less about qualifying practice on a plate track. It's single car runs and not much to see. But the race practices not being shown is an attention getter. Fox reducing it more and more each year. Maybe the ratings aren't there to support it.

It's a combination.

When SPEED became FS1, the amount of coverage Speedweeks got and the amount of hype for the 500 dropped significantly. Right off the bat, they cared more about college basketball. And FS1 has taken more and more coverage away since then. Honestly, I don't think we're too far away from the Duel races being shown on tape delay.

FOX already started winding down their Fast Friday coverage last year, the positive was that that content simply moved to NASCAR.com streaming albeit with different announcing. A bit odd that they won't air any of that stuff for Speedweeks though.

OTOH, a lot of those practices and qualifying sessions are going to be behind TrackPass once NBC takes over in the summer. Anything besides the actual races doesn't seem like something you can monetize through cable TV anymore.

FOX already started winding down their Fast Friday coverage last year, the positive was that that content simply moved to NASCAR.com streaming albeit with different announcing. A bit odd that they won't air any of that stuff for Speedweeks though.

OTOH, a lot of those practices and qualifying sessions are going to be behind TrackPass once NBC takes over in the summer. Anything besides the actual races doesn't seem like something you can monetize through cable TV anymore.

Trackpass on NBC isn't a bad deal though, and from what I've heard from people who would know, NBC's investing heavily into making the grassroots side of it work.

Honestly, I don't see Fox being around in five years. They are waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy behind on the streaming media revolution and have been behind on that front for a decade now. Their network shows were once edge and attracted young viewers, but not anymore. Disney+, Netflix and The CW have stolen their former target audience, and now all the Fox networks cater solely to a dying audience. They rely on Fox News and Fox Sports now, but they keep all that **** Fox News Channel (which is losing a to MSNBC) and FS1.

The CW is the "edgy/hip" broadcast network that caters to youths; NBCSN has emerged ESPN's primary challenger in sports; and MSNBC, thanks to Rachel Maddow and Brian Williams, is mounting a serious challenge to the Fox News Channel empire.

Last edited:
Do you mean in motorsports, sports in general, or in business at all?

In general in the television landscape. They've already sold most of their assets to Disney.

Fox News has dominated cable news for the better part of 15 years. However, MSNBC, which has always been ahead of its time, is seeing the payoffs. Rachel Maddow is the queen of cable news, Brian Williams has redefined late night, and Morning Joe changed the entire landscape. Fox is losing its dominance there.

Fox Sports is, well... their football coverage is universally hated. Their baseball coverage is universally hated. Their USGA coverage is universally hated. And so on.

The CW is now what Fox was 20 years ago on broadcast TV.

Many of us have said we wanted our old NASCAR back. Well, they are listening. Back in the day practice coverage didn't happen. If we were lucky we might see a short clip of qualifying. I enjoy NASCAR, but 24/7 coverage is not for me.

Many of us have said we wanted our old NASCAR back. Well, they are listening. Back in the day practice coverage didn't happen. If we were lucky we might see a short clip of qualifying. I enjoy NASCAR, but 24/7 coverage is not for me.

I don't care for every practice, but there was something about coming home from school or work in February, turning on the TV, and there's Daytona.

I know NASCAR's declined a ton, but this is still Daytona. Indianapolis was still special when IndyCar was in decline.

Fox doesn't get me hyped for the 500 the way they did when SPEED was around, or the way NBC and CBS did.

Speedweeks was a much looked forward to event to watch on tv. It seems to have declined as of late, but , nothing beats being there for a couple of weeks. That gets really pricey, but worth it , at least to me.

It's a combination.

When SPEED became FS1, the amount of coverage Speedweeks got and the amount of hype for the 500 dropped significantly. Right off the bat, they cared more about college basketball. And FS1 has taken more and more coverage away since then. Honestly, I don't think we're too far away from the Duel races being shown on tape delay.
Yep, last year the did one Victory Lane post race show, and it was for a Truck Race, and this year, I don't expect things to get better with them getting the XFL games to air . FS1 will be airing Sunday game for all 10 weeks, FOX has some too.

I don't care for every practice, but there was something about coming home from school or work in February, turning on the TV, and there's Daytona.

I know NASCAR's declined a ton, but this is still Daytona. Indianapolis was still special when IndyCar was in decline.

Fox doesn't get me hyped for the 500 the way they did when SPEED was around, or the way NBC and CBS did.
As a NASCAR fan, I love it all, pre race( stop watching those so I could sleep in longer) , post race shows( minus the call in show on NBC) all practice and qualifying , if its on, I will watch it, mostly now via DVR to skip the commercials.

I fully agree, FOX over the last few years has done very little to get me hyped for both the race and the new season, they really are phoning it in. I am over FOX now. NBC does a much better job getting me hyped for the second part of the season.

My understanding its in conjunction with being on TV, unless I missed that part. Its just a steaming platform that wont be taking over the network coverage....my understanding.

Missed the large print up at the top

FULL SCHEDULE FOR DAYTONA SPEEDWEEKS (subject to change)

They (FOX) haven't announced the coverage for all of it yet because they haven't figured out practice times yet

o_O They are showing times for when they are going to practice? What are you talking about? But it's not shown on TV, you can just listen on MRN?

Here's the part that I don't get, for Friday morning and afternoon programming, what are they going to air that's going to grab more eyes than a live Cup practice?

85053746_2791412707581159_3524787412519616512_o.jpg

Crap, no Feb 7 Friday stuff.

Decades ago I could check out live California Beach surfing conditions online where they had the Cams streaming -- you'd think they (NASCAR/Track/Fox) could mount several Daytona "Weather Cams" and stream Gerbil-Free track camera content.

What is NASCAR trying to hide?

Reactions: Pat
Arca race Saturday, Feb 8 at 4:45 EST on FS1

Cup Series Busch Clash race Sunday, Feb 9 at 3:00 EST on FS1

That's more practice coverage than I was expecting on FS1. I hope they don't scale back after Daytona either.

Back
Top Bottom