2020 IndyCar Miscellaneous

All-time cucking if this is real.

Richmond deal pulled out from under them, Iowa to be turned into farmland, potential midwestern replacements in Chicagoland and Kentucky turned into warehouses and retention ponds, and the payoff is a second race as an undercard on a sterile road course and a second race at the worst oval track in America.

So much for all that optimism.

Guess I'll have to stick to modifides if I want fun open wheel racing on pavement

IndyCar schedule absolutely blows.

They couldn't have made a deal with Kansas, New Hampshire?? Better yet Nashville Superspeedway is a viable new oval and they have the rinse & repeat street race that is there now.

Do a doubleheader at Gateway too.

Awful.

"St. Petersburg
Barber
Long Beach
Texas (doubleheader)
IMS road course
Indy 500
Detroit (doubleheader)
Road America
Mid-Ohio
Toronto
Nashville
IMS road course
World Wide Technology Raceway
Portland
Laguna Seca"

I would have preferred other ovals over Texas but I guess I'm the only one not unhappy with this schedule. Barber, RA, Mid-Ohio, Portland, Laguna Seca; I'd like to have seen MoSport but I don't missed the dropped ovals at all.

"St. Petersburg
Barber
Long Beach
Texas (doubleheader)
IMS road course
Indy 500
Detroit (doubleheader)
Road America
Mid-Ohio
Toronto
Nashville
IMS road course
World Wide Technology Raceway
Portland
Laguna Seca"

I would have preferred other ovals over Texas but I guess I'm the only one not unhappy with this schedule. Barber, RA, Mid-Ohio, Portland, Laguna Seca; I'd like to have seen MoSport but I don't missed the dropped ovals at all.
I mostly agree with you on the road courses. Laguna Seca and Portland seemed iffy after the cancellations but it sounds like they restructured sanctioning agreements to keep them through 2022 and 2023, which is good. I think Barber now has a new deal as well. I would say COTA for the IMS course is a loss but we have no idea who’s going to own COTA in the future, what sort of sanctioning agreement they have with NASCAR, and how well that may sustain their financials. And Roger has said from the day he bought IMS he wanted a third IndyCar race there so it’s not surprising, just uninspiring.

I am really bummed about Iowa and Richmond though, Richmond never got a fair shot and it sounds like the rug was pulled out from under them there. Iowa had the best oval product in the series, given the struggles with the UAK18 aero at the other tracks. And sadly it must mean that track is basically done for good. I agree with @AuzGrams that a doubleheader at Gateway would be nice, dependent upon aero tweaks like what Indy and Texas are supposed to get. And hopefully @KodiakRusty89 nails it with his comments from the NASCAR thread and we get Pocono and Michigan in a few years when there’s been more economic recovery and events can scheduled with more certainty and lead time. Because ultimately you do want to achieve more of a balanced schedule and this trends probably as skewed to roadies as we’ve seen in a while. But given the weak oval business model versus that of road courses and being at the mercy of NASCAR and where they choose to move their money maybe we shouldn’t be so surprised.

I think Penske is putting a whole lot of stock in getting a return into his investment of IMS and IndyCar.

We see it this season with the "Harvest GP". Can't be mad about, honestly. It's just a bit stale IMO.

I have no idea why they don't go back to NHMS. That was a good track for Indycar. With Pocono gone there's nothing remotely close for fans in the northeast. After NHMS lost its second NASCAR date it just seemed like a no-brainer for Indycar to return. Then with Pocono out now it could really be a necessity to keep interest up in this part of the country.

I have no idea why they don't go back to NHMS. That was a good track for Indycar. With Pocono gone there's nothing remotely close for fans in the northeast. After NHMS lost its second NASCAR date it just seemed like a no-brainer for Indycar to return. Then with Pocono out now it could really be a necessity to keep interest up in this part of the country.

Putting it with the Musket 200 Modified weekend always seemed like the logical idea..

Liberty is a major, if not majority shareholder of Sirius XM.
I’m curious about why it’s attributed to the F1 Group and not the SiriusXM group. Maybe just being a racing deal.

Jim Meyer is retiring from the SiriusXM CEO role at the end of the year, pretty big deal that he got the guys at the top to invest in his race team before heading out the door.

I’m curious about why it’s attributed to the F1 Group and not the SiriusXM group. Maybe just being a racing deal.

Jim Meyer is retiring from the SiriusXM CEO role at the end of the year, pretty big deal that he got the guys at the top to invest in his race team before heading out the door.
Cool, we'll get to see Meyer on top of the box more.

This is interesting though, with Liberty Media and McLaren being involved now. I wonder if that opens the door for more partnership and other teams being interested into IndyCar? My guess is yes, but we'll see if this materializes into something bigger than what it is.

IRL was not that great IMO.

CART was better, but that's just how I felt about it. I remember CART interesting me a lot more than the IRL did for some reason, the racing was okay to me. Just I felt the mix of oval, road/street courses made it more interesting to see. Just now the ratio is a bit off and needs to be addressed, I'd just like to see Michigan, Pocono, and maybe something like Homestead and maybe another smaller oval like Richmond to give the schedule more heft.

I'm tired of that long wait after St. Pete though, that window needs to be filled IMO.

IRL was not that great IMO.

CART was better, but that's just how I felt about it. I remember CART interesting me a lot more than the IRL did for some reason, the racing was okay to me. Just I felt the mix of oval, road/street courses made it more interesting to see. Just now the ratio is a bit off and needs to be addressed, I'd just like to see Michigan, Pocono, and maybe something like Homestead and maybe another smaller oval like Richmond to give the schedule more heft.

I'm tired of that long wait after St. Pete though, that window needs to be filled IMO.
As I always say I miss IRL pack racing, I know why its gone but it was so cool to watch.

Interesting, just as Honda Racing announced leaving F1 today, now look at IndyCar:
Honda and Chevy disagreed strongly on how to time the changes, glad they figured out a way to make everyone happy even we though have to wait another year. Manufacturing delays would’ve been a pain in the ass if they kept 2022 in mind.

As I always say I miss IRL pack racing, I know why its gone but it was so cool to watch.
Not me. I don't even like pack racing in stock cars, much less in open wheelers. It's not what I want to see, and I don't find it entertaining.

As for the 2021 schedule, I'm sorry to see Richmond scrubbed, and Iowa too. But the reality is, Indycar races need to draw a live gate to be viable. There just isn't a pot of gold called "TV money" like there is for Nascar. I'm wondering if Richmond Raceway got cold feet after seeing disappointing advance sales for the 2020 race before COVID forced cancellation?

Rosenqvist has shown a lot of potential, I don't understand Ganassi letting him go. I doubt he makes this move if there was a renewal offer for him.

Wondering now if chip will scale back to 3 cars with Jimmie running part time in the 3rd car. If NTT aren't leaving then that ride should theoretically be fully funded. I know it is a long shot, but man I'd love to see Conor Daly get this ride.

Wondering now if chip will scale back to 3 cars with Jimmie running part time in the 3rd car. If NTT aren't leaving then that ride should theoretically be fully funded. I know it is a long shot, but man I'd love to see Conor Daly get this ride.
Ganassi is running 3 cars this year. If Ericsson isn't leaving I could see Daly run the ovals in JJ's car.

Another one out of nowhere. da Costa has done a lot of winning throughout his career, and is the reigning Formula E champ.

Rosenqvist has shown a lot of potential, I don't understand Ganassi letting him go. I doubt he makes this move if there was a renewal offer for him.

Jenna Fryer said he had an option for 2021 that wasn’t picked up, but it appears they did so (or Ganassi intended) to discuss a new agreement entirely. Chip doesn’t seem too pleased about it, so I’m not sure if it’s as simple as slotting Jimmie over to the #10 car. He was supposed to go out and find his own funding for what sounded like a fourth entry, initially.

I wonder what made Felix make this decision?

Maybe more opportunities abroad with McLaren? It's a very interesting situation because Felix has slowly come into his own. As a fanboy of now the former team Börk, I'am extremely sad.

I'm guessing more international opportunities being in affiliation with McLaren.

The good news is Dick Johnson has committed to Supercars for 2021:

Hopefully, Fabian will land on his feet as well.
Yeah, I think DJ and Ryan Story are just buying back the 51% stake Penske had in the team. Good to see they’ll be sticking around for Gen3, the last few years certainly accomplished everything possible so it was a win for all. I think Scott is going to be awesome to watch over here, wouldn’t surprise me if he adapted pretty quickly.

If JJ wrecks, I'm making a small edit of the Carvana symbol floating up over the car into the sky.

Kidding, good get for IndyCar and CGR. Carvana is a fast growing company for sure. The vending machine idea has always seemed interesting to me.

Carvana is direct competition to Hendrick dealers...lol.

Back
Top Bottom