2021-22 Winter Sports and Beijing Olympics

Always find it interesting with the Olympics and their event scheduling. Constant television hype of when it starts yet there are competitions in various sports already happening. Not complaining but you have to be aware of what's really going on so as not to miss something you might want to follow.

Usually there are just preliminary round games before the opening ceremony, not really a lot of great importance.
The opening ceremony will start at 7 am eastern tomorrow. I missed most of the Pyeongchang olympics because I was in England with school back then, I hope to catch as much as possible this time.
Francesco Friedrich and Claudia Pechstein have been chosen (by popular vote) to carry the German flag during the Parade of Nations. I forgot to vote but I think these two are a great choice. Friedrich ist the Kyle Larson of Bob racing and 49-year-old Pechstein will be the second person (after Noriaki Kasai) and first woman to compete in her 8th Winter Olympics.
Luv me some curling. Only watch it during the Olympics but it seems to be a sport, like bowling, that anyone can do. A stone in one hand and a beer in the other..... I think it's doable.
I gotta start playing darts again. Next tournament that doesn't get cancelled I'll be there.

The Alpine Ski World Cup is finally back at the Birds of Prey this weekend, starting with the Super-G today.
That's always one of my favorite winter sports events to watch.

by far one of my favorite niche winter sports to watch anytime it's on, and the tv doesn't quite do it justice to how fast they're going and how steep it is insane. ⛷️

So I am guessing the Russia teams are called the ROC because some
of their olympians have been caught using performance enhancing drugs in
the past. Is this their only penalty? A better new name and logo ? I have
not done any research and just curious if anyone knows off the top of
your head.

So I am guessing the Russia teams are called the ROC because some
of their olympians have been caught using performance enhancing drugs in
the past. Is this their only penalty? A better new name and logo ? I have
not done any research and just curious if anyone knows off the top of
your head.
A lot of Russian athletes have been stripped of their medals from Sochi, some won their appeals, some didn't.

Not sure if you all are utilizing the NBC Sports app or not. If you are not and your a fan of the Olympics, do yourself a favor and install the app. Every second of every event is available to view, live or as a replay. By far the best way to take in the games.

As Germany, Austria, Norway and Japan were all hit with disqualifications, CANADA has won Bronze in the Mixed Team Ski Jump.
This was most likely the most controversial Ski Jumping competition of all time.

Loving me some mixed doubles Italian curling. Probably my favorite olympic story right now.
Italy has never, I repeat, never, won an olympic curling medal. Still not a done deal,
but I hope they get gold. (no jinx)

How do you get a disqualification in ski jumping? You go down the ramp and fly. Guessing it's some equipment thing?

Yes, the Italian curling team is a bit different. Good for them. I'm waiting for the women's curling though. Something about watching them as the sport is a game of strategy and finesse and it suits women well in my opinion.

How do you get a disqualification in ski jumping? You go down the ramp and fly. Guessing it's some equipment thing?
Yep, the five disqualifications were for suit infringements. The more loose the suit, the further they fly.
Apparently it was controlled far more strict than at other competitions. Werner Schuster said on the Eurosport telecast that it was possible to see with the naked eye that one of the Norwegian girls wore a far too loose suit.
They can also be disqualified for going too early/late, leaving a zipper open or using too long skis but that happens rarely.
In the women's normal hill competition one athlete was disqualified for failing to cover a sponsor logo.

Btw. Natalie Geisenberger won her 5th gold medal in the luge today, equalling Claudia Pechstein as the most successful German Winter Olympian. She still has a chance to win her 6th gold in the team event.

I was glad to see that Shaun White qualified in the halfpipe final . After his mess up in his first attempt he was in a do or die situation and I didn't want to see him retire not qualifying for his final Olympics. Now maybe he will bring home another medal. He has a day off to get rested up for his final attack.

I was glad to see that Shaun White qualified in the halfpipe final . After his mess up in his first attempt he was in a do or die situation and I didn't want to see him retire not qualifying for his final Olympics. Now maybe he will bring home another medal. He has a day off to get rested up for his final attack.
P4 for him, just like at Sochi.
Still a great result considering that most of the guys he was competing against are at least 10 years younger than him.

P4 for him, just like at Sochi.
Still a great result considering that most of the guys he was competing against are at least 10 years younger than him.
I was hoping he would finish with a medal, but he did good and doesn't have anything to feel bad about. I'm glad that Hirano came back and threw down another amazing performance to take the gold after the judges screwed him on his first run. He has really set the bar high from here on out with the triple-cork. I was also glad to see Chloe Kim won her second gold in the half-pipe.

Last edited:
I've had the opportunity to take in a bunch of the Olympics over this past weekend. The coverage is phenomenal. I've been using the NBC Sports app. Whether you have the time to watch live or take in a replay, it's available.

I've had the opportunity to take in a bunch of the Olympics over this past weekend. The coverage is phenomenal. I've been using the NBC Sports app. Whether you have the time to watch live or take in a replay, it's available.
I watched a lot of it last week. Some of those girls have balls of steel.:D

The men's curling team still has a shot at a medal. But yeah, it's amazing how many US athletes have choked.

Just finished watching the ladies figure skating final and medal ceremony.
What a cluster. Oh well , let this be a lesson to the future skaters.

Shiffrin, goodness. Glad that chapter will be behind you. Not to worry.
More trophies and records await your future.

Just finished watching the ladies figure skating final and medal ceremony.
What a cluster. Oh well , let this be a lesson to the future skaters.

Shiffrin, goodness. Glad that chapter will be behind you. Not to worry.
More trophies and records await your future.
Some of the most devastating **** I’ve ever seen. The adults caused her to have a complete breakdown and have ruined her life.

There’s a reason I hate the “win at all costs” mentality. They destroyed that girl’s life. And I doubt she’ll return to Russia to sympathetic people, she’ll be ostracized and shamed.

Some of the most devastating **** I’ve ever seen. The adults caused her to have a complete breakdown and have ruined her life.

There’s a reason I hate the “win at all costs” mentality. They destroyed that girl’s life. And I doubt she’ll return to Russia to sympathetic people, she’ll be ostracized and shamed.
From this article it sounds like she will be ok. She said she learned a lot from her experiences in the past 2 weeks.
U.S. skier Mikaela Shiffrin doesn't finish slalom leg of Alpine combined at Beijing Olympics (espn.com)

Back
Top Bottom