2021 Camping World Truck Series

Knoxville raceway? I'm not seeing any upgrade in the facility, in fact it looks like a down grade to me. I know Stewart had to do many upgrades before Nascar would race there.

https://thecushion.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/10KNOX58519MBE-2000.jpg

Awesome move I believe. Eldora is like the Rose Bowl of dirt tracks, but Knoxville is easily #2

Knoxville is not a downgrade from Eldora in terms of facility. Each has its strong points. The Knoxville clay surface is superior in terms of not producing dust. I think the shape and turn radii at Eldora is better for a Trucks race. They are going to be closer to wide-open around Knoxville.

There are half a dozen events at each track I'm going to look forward to more than NASCAR, but it's cool to see NASCAR stay connected to a premier dirt track and the excitement that creates.

The trucks at Watkins Glen the first time is a must watch. I don't think it is looking good for them to continue to race at Canadian Tire next year.

The Border is closed at this time so Can. Tire couldn't be included.

So it begins and more is revealed. There will be upgrades to the track and safety personnel. Stewart had to make plenty of improvements.

I really liked the trucks at Dover and Michigan but there are far more upsides than downsides about this.
We are down to seven 1.5 milers, including only one in the playoffs. There will still be a race at a traditional dirt track plus another one at Bristol. Three road courses in a 22-race-schedule seems just about right for the trucks.
Right now I'm looking forward to the MotoGP season finale and the Wintersports season but Daytona can't come soon enough.

I would really have missed Mosport, to the point I would have accepted sacrificing Darlington to keep it upon the schedule.
The only way I thought they would lose the date at Canadian tire was if the border was still closed. That can still happen if we don't get a handle on the Covid. The large number of Canadian snowbirds who can't come south is making it tough on the economies that rely on the influx.

Wish they’d go up to 25 races including Portland International Raceway, IRP & 5 Flags in Pensacola

Also I’d ditch Richmond and go back to Martinsville twice, Dover instead of Nashville.

So it begins and more is revealed. There will be upgrades to the track and safety personnel. Stewart had to make plenty of improvements.

I can see how they would live with the guardrail for now from a safety standpoint given the relatively low speeds the trucks will run at. However, I am curious about whether there could be issues with wall damage if heavy contact takes place.

Apparently this was a concern when NASCAR talked to Knoxville years ago.

“Well yes. We have,” stated John McCoy the Knoxville Raceway track promoter.

“We had a conversation with them 4 years ago probably. They had some people come down from the Iowa Speedway.”

So what were the results or concerns of that conversation?

“It was never anything yay or nay about it. I don’t think they want to run against guardrails. I think they wanna run against a concrete wall.”

“Right now, we’re a great barrier for sprint cars. So, I haven’t heard anything else from them.”

Knoxville Raceway guardrails and it’s newly installed catch fence counterpart
However, with NASCAR, you’re talking about a 3,500 racecar. That’s a stark difference to the usual class of racecars at Knoxville, sprint cars.

The guardrail does just fine for light, high powered dirt cars. Recently. they even installed an extra 5 feet of fencing above that. That was to prevent sprint cars from climbing the tall guardrail and rolling off onto the street behind it. A situation that happened last year.

“He’s not going to be able to do that now,” stated John McCoy.

With a 3,500 racecar, the height of the wall isn’t really the main issue. The thickness is the concern. Forget about climbing the wall. It’s possible that a car with that kind of mass could take a different route to the street, driving right through it.

If NASCAR came to Knoxville Raceway, the wall would likely need to be replaced. The 5 inch thick guardrails would need to be substituted for something that can keep a 3,500 within track boundaries.

One of the many amazing things about Knoxville is that the main drag through town is right there outside turns 3 and 4, maybe 30 feet from the wall.

I can see how they would live with the guardrail for now from a safety standpoint given the relatively low speeds the trucks will run at. However, I am curious about whether there could be issues with wall damage if heavy contact takes place.

Apparently this was a concern when NASCAR talked to Knoxville years ago.

I'm not talking about a guradrail. At the 8:00 mark the list of improvements Stewart had to make required or voluntary start. I seriously doubt Knoxville can meet all of those requirements at present. "so it begins"

I'm not talking about a guradrail.

Pockrass did talk about the guardrail, as have others. It has been a potential sticking point, hence my post.

Yes, the race director at Knoxville, John McCoy, states that improvements will be made in various areas. He also states that they are working to get another race, which is interesting.

Pockrass did talk about the guardrail, as have others. It has been a potential sticking point, hence my post.

Yes, the race director at Knoxville, John McCoy, states that improvements will be made in various areas. He also states that they are working to get another race, which is interesting.

The same bunch, U of N reconfigured Eldora's track wall openings and crossover gates track gates, energy absorbing pit barrels, tire barrier systems etc. Three new fire and safety trucks, Nascar spec fire systems, rescue tools and that is just the start. Who knows, they might have been hard on Tony and laid down for Spire/Knoxville.

The trucks are racing at Pocono

Huh? Pocono has since added SAFER to the infield walls that were an issue in those clips. Speedbowl's post was presumably about these types of issues happening at Knoxville and / or Eldora. I'm on board with NASCAR requiring stricter safety standards, but it's a different situation than approaching 200 MPH at Pocono. That's all.

I haven't been talking about walls the whole time. :idunno: You have..and they are a done deal. You presume I am I guess.

Nah, we just got our signals crossed up. I was picking up more where Pockrass left off in the Tweet you posted.

It's all good. :cool:

Nah, we just got our signals crossed up. I was picking up more where Pockrass left off in the Tweet you posted.

It's all good. :cool:
Eh, whatever it takes they will get all of it done on time and Knoxville will be a better safer track when they leave it. There wasn't a whisper about the truck schedule changes until BAM. They blew me away. That new/old guy in charge is getting it done.

Huh? Pocono has since added SAFER to the infield walls that were an issue in those clips. Speedbowl's post was presumably about these types of issues happening at Knoxville and / or Eldora. I'm on board with NASCAR requiring stricter safety standards, but it's a different situation than approaching 200 MPH at Pocono. That's all.

Nah I'm not insinuating it'll happen at Knoxville, just flipping back a few pages in the NASCAR history books.

I really liked the trucks at Dover and Michigan but there are far more upsides than downsides about this.
We are down to seven 1.5 milers, including only one in the playoffs. There will still be a race at a traditional dirt track plus another one at Bristol. Three road courses in a 22-race-schedule seems just about right for the trucks.
Right now I'm looking forward to the MotoGP season finale and the Wintersports season but Daytona can't come soon enough.

I think I’d prefer Xfinity go to Kansas twice and Michigan not at all.

Michigan is an underrated Truck track.

Having Trucks not at Dover but in Nashville is a mistake IMO.

I think I’d prefer Xfinity go to Kansas twice and Michigan not at all.

Michigan is an underrated Truck track.

Having Trucks not at Dover but in Nashville is a mistake IMO.

Agreed. Highlight of the weekend was usually the truck series, long straights and wide corners led to get racing with the draft those bigger vehicles give off

Won't hurt me a bit to see Rhodes coming back. He kept things stirred up pretty well with the KDB boys.

Back
Top Bottom