2021 Chevrolet Detroit Grand Prix

If that is accurate, yeah, it made no sense to expect the final match to be over in three hours.

Programming overload. They have Lightning/Islanders at 3 and then more Olympic trials later tonight I think.

What a mess of a weekend. I don't think a single slot has worked out as planned so far.

Newgarden needs to do 23 laps on used reds to win. Wow

Newgarden already bleeding seconds to Herta. Just barely over 3 seconds lead before the commercial.

What does Newgarden to here? Pit or stays out? He is going to get used up here.

The strategy to end on reds may not be optimal, but Newgarden wouldn't have built any gap or retained the lead without doing the first two stints on blacks. The timing of the caution obviously destroys the play.

Getting tired of the Jimmie experiment honestly.

What does Newgarden to here? Pit or stays out? He is going to get used up here.
Too much track position to give up I think. 18 cars on the lead lap. Just play lockdown defense, burn all that extra P2P, and hope you don't get flattened.

The strategy to end on reds may not be optimal, but Newgarden wouldn't have built any gap or retained the lead without doing the first two stints on blacks. The timing of the caution obviously destroys the play.

Getting a little tired of the Jimmie experiment honestly.

Him and McLaughlin come from more or less the same background of racing heavy stock cars and one almost won a race here. Jimmie can’t even crack the top 15. It’s sad.

Looks like he brought his tail end nascar career ending to this series.

Newgarden took off really well there. Hard to figure, does it help a lot to cool them down?

Romain is a bad ass.

Herta is so undisciplined. Almost ruined O'ward and his own day.

Interesting.

Couple of drivers questioning how Pato was able to make those restarts.

Not sure why Newgarden is crying about. They were doomed even before the race started. Finishing the race on reds was never a good idea. He should take finishing second as a blessing.
They lost once they stopped early to cover for Kellett stopping at the end of the pits. If they ran to between 25-27, put on reds, ran to lap 45 and put on blacks for the finish, they may have been fine. But I’m not sure that was their original strategy. They were never going to hold off Herta after the first stop though. And they got lucky with Grosjean’s brakes or they would’ve lost even more.

Him and McLaughlin come from more or less the same background of racing heavy stock cars and one almost won a race here. Jimmie can’t even crack the top 15. It’s sad.

Looks like he brought his tail end nascar career ending to this series.
Leigh Diffey is constantly trumpeting the fact that they have a "7 time NASCAR champion" in Indycar now and keeps explaining that he's really still learning how to drive the car. Any other driver driving the way he has been would have been taken out of that car by now.

After Race 1, Will Power was complaining about "drivers who shouldn't have been out there" getting in his way. Not hard to figure out who he meant.

They lost once they stopped early to cover for Kellett stopping at the end of the pits. If they ran to between 25-27, put on reds, ran to lap 45 and put on blacks for the finish, they may have been fine. But I’m not sure that was their original strategy. They were never going to hold off Herta after the first stop though. And they got lucky with Grosjean’s brakes or they would’ve lost even more.
When interviewed before the race had ended, even Tim Cindric didn't try to defend their strategy today.

Leigh Diffey is constantly trumpeting the fact that they have a "7 time NASCAR champion" in Indycar now and keeps explaining that he's really still learning how to drive the car. Any other driver driving the way he has been would have been taken out of that car by now.

After Race 1, Will Power was complaining about "drivers who shouldn't have been out there" getting in his way. Not hard to figure out who he meant.
Fwiw, Power said it was Jimmie, but someone else who got in his way during a qualifying run. He said JJ is actually pretty good about finding a gap to do Q runs. Rumor is it was Ed Jones, but no one knows for sure.

I don't think Jimmie will ever be spectacular at this and he's usually good for a caution or two (but hasn't completely binned one yet), but I don't think he was really doing too badly today. He was at the tail end of the lead lap with about 15 to go when he spun. It wasn't too long ago the series had guys like Rene Binder, Alfonso Celis Jr., and Francesco Dracone out there who were slower and more of a liability. I think they actually told Dale Coyne to never bring Dracone back again eventually. So he could be a lot worse. And a lot of people forget the fact that he was quicker than Chase Elliott in a prototype at Daytona earlier this year. It's just damn near impossible to be on pace immediately in such a vastly different car on types of tracks you haven't done more than two or three times a year your entire career.

Fwiw, Power said it was Jimmie, but someone else who got in his way during a qualifying run. He said JJ is actually pretty good about finding a gap to do Q runs. Rumor is it was Ed Jones, but no one knows for sure.

I don't think Jimmie will ever be spectacular at this and he's usually good for a caution or two (but hasn't completely binned one yet), but I don't think he was really doing too badly today. He was at the tail end of the lead lap with about 15 to go when he spun. It wasn't too long ago the series had guys like Rene Binder, Alfonso Celis Jr., and Francesco Dracone out there who were slower and more of a liability. I think they actually told Dale Coyne to never bring Dracone back again eventually. So he could be a lot worse. And a lot of people forget the fact that he was quicker than Chase Elliott in a prototype at Daytona earlier this year. It's just damn near impossible to be on pace immediately in such a vastly different car on types of tracks you haven't done more than two or three times a year your entire career.
I've often wondered, which is actually hardest to drive...an F1 car, Indycar or NASCAR?

NBC's scheduling has been terrible. Now we're about to have to put up with them doing a crappy job of covering NASCAR at the same time they will be trying to cover an Olympics which no one can attend.
Yeah , its been tricky trying to record events on the DVR.

That finish of the Belle Isle #2 race was Indycar at its finest. This new
crop of young drivers are just outstanding.

I've often wondered, which is actually hardest to drive...an F1 car, Indycar or NASCAR?
I'm gonna say F1 because of the complicated steering wheels with dozens of buttons and the drivers having to make multiple adjustments of those buttons per lap.

Back
Top Bottom