2021 Fall/Winter Thread

REBS31

Lane Train
Been cooling down this past week or so in South MS. I’ve been out today it’s been a little chilly, and was thinking about grabbing a light jacket, looked on my phone and it’s a frigid…77 degrees

72° right now. Lows in the 60s. Above average but still seasonable.

NWS said it’s supposed to be the warmest fall and winter on record and we could have 90° weather again very soon.

Final day of False Fall. Tomorrow begins Second Summer and it's supposed to be in the 80s and 90s for the foreseeable future.

Climate Change sucks.

YEP! Winter is coming. Woke up to temps at 78 degrees. Starting to cool off. Won't be long and the leaves will change color.
Actually, they don't change color, they simply fall off the huge live oak trees in our sideyard along with the acorns that drop on the driveway and make a mess.

Attachments

• S3701362.jpg
    S3701362.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 138
Cold front came in for the weekend and sitting at 68 degrees right now, the icicles are forming

I certainly envy everyone who lives in the great state of Florida, but the weather is not the reason for that.
Obviously, some people in Deutchland like authoritarianism. As for me and Florida, I like the weather. ;)

The weather report is for the week of December 12 thru 17.
The sunset photo taken last evening, December 11, from Englewood Beach, FL.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 8.42.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 8.42.59 AM.png
    284.6 KB · Views: 127
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 8.48.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 8.48.22 AM.png
    352.8 KB · Views: 127
Obviously, some people in Deutchland like authoritarianism.
Yep, but the few people in Deutschland who don't like authoritarianism are still looking at Florida with a lot of envy.:)
As for me and Florida, I like the weather.
The one time I was there I got soaked.
The weather report is for the week of December 12 thru 17.
The sunset photo taken last evening, December 11, from Englewood Beach, FL.
The last summer was so cold I have now grown to like warm weather.

Yep, but the few people in Deutschland who don't like authoritarianism are still looking at Florida with a lot of envy.:)

The one time I was there I got soaked.

The last summer was so cold I have now grown to like warm weather.
The one time you were here you got soaked was when? We had one of the wetter summers this year that I can recall but then I've only lived here since 2014 having lived in Raleigh, NC, the nineteen years previous.
We do get cold weather here too! When temps drop below seventy degrees fahrenheit we get out the heavy coats and if it gets in the fifties F., long underwear and insulated parkas are the dress for the day. The few who still endure chilly weather are usually recent transplants who make noticeable changes within two or three years. It doesn't take long to acclimate to warm weather although summers can be brutally hot and like people living in colder climes during winter months go to the heat, we go indoors with the a/c.
Not to make you feel bad ( :rolleyes: ) but, this is where I am as I send this, on my screen area enjoying a wonderful Florida day. If you enlarge the photo by clicking on it, you might notice the writing on the monitor is what you are reading.

Attachments

• IMG_1707.jpg
    IMG_1707.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 128
The one time you were here you got soaked was when? We had one of the wetter summers this year that I can recall but then I've only lived here since 2014 having lived in Raleigh, NC, the nineteen years previous.
We do get cold weather here too! When temps drop below seventy degrees fahrenheit we get out the heavy coats and if it gets in the fifties F., long underwear and insulated parkas are the dress for the day. The few who still endure chilly weather are usually recent transplants who make noticeable changes within two or three years. It doesn't take long to acclimate to warm weather although summers can be brutally hot and like people living in colder climes during winter months go to the heat, we go indoors with the a/c.
Not to make you feel bad ( :rolleyes: ) but, this is where I am as I send this, on my screen area enjoying a wonderful Florida day. If you enlarge the photo by clicking on it, you might notice the writing on the monitor is what you are reading.
I may need to get that book.....

Melancholy is the pleasure of being sad.
Victor Hugo

To lead the people, walk behind them.
Lao-tzu

You'd be surprised how much it costs to look this cheap.
Dolly Parton

:XXROFL:

I think it dropped down to 30 degrees this morning but it will get up to the high 50s later on.
No rain and just about perfect to do some shop work this afternoon.

The biggest routine thing I have to do in the fall is raking the leaves. My yard is surrounded by big trees. When I bought the house years ago I did it all with just a rake and a tarp. I know it took more than 40 hours to get them all and it was probably actually closer to 80 hours. I fill up the ditch 3 or 4 times through the fall. I fill it up and wait for the county to pick them before filling it again.

Through the years I have added a backpack blower, a sweeper, and I finally got a John Deere 380 to pull the sweeper and help with the work.

I can do it about 12 hours now. The JD380 is a beast and I probably spend as much time blowing out the flower beds and other obstacles that I can't reach with the sweeper.
I actually like doing it, and it us good way to avoid letting the John Deere sit all winter.

I may need to get that book.....

Melancholy is the pleasure of being sad.
Victor Hugo

To lead the people, walk behind them.
Lao-tzu

You'd be surprised how much it costs to look this cheap.
Dolly Parton

:XXROFL:
Use the search function and go to dictionary.com. That's the book. I use it to try to keep from misspelling words, one of my pet peeves.

On or around July 20, 2017. Did a tour of Daytona International Speedway that day.
They day before we visited Key West where I almost passed out due to the extreme humidity I never experienced before.

I would miss winter if it was warm all year. Right now we have around 40 degrees and some rain. I dislike this wet-cold weather but when we have 10-20 degrees and maybe 20 centimeters of snow it's very beautiful.

A big problem during dry summers are people around your age who set hedges or sheds on fire trying to burn weeds.

On or around July 20, 2017. Did a tour of Daytona International Speedway that day.
They day before we visited Key West where I almost passed out due to the extreme humidity I never experienced before.

I would miss winter if it was warm all year. Right now we have around 40 degrees and some rain. I dislike this wet-cold weather but when we have 10-20 degrees and maybe 20 centimeters of snow it's very beautiful.

A big problem during dry summers are people around your age who set hedges or sheds on fire trying to burn weeds.
People my age?? Don't generalize people in my age bracket. Some of us find less dangerous pastimes than playing with fire by playing bingo.

The humidity doesn't bother me too much but it really raises cain with my Bride. This last summer was unbearably hot. We live about a mile from the Gulf of Mexico as the crow flies. People living inland further deal with higher temps as they don't get the gulf breeze. The only time the gulf breeze is bad is when there is red tide and then it burns your nose, throat and makes your eyes burn.

People my age?? Don't generalize people in my age bracket. Some of us find less dangerous pastimes than playing with fire by playing bingo.
I obviously did not mean to generalize old folks. In fact, if they were all doing that there were no hedges or sheds left to burn down.

The humidity doesn't bother me too much but it really raises cain with my Bride. This last summer was unbearably hot. We live about a mile from the Gulf of Mexico as the crow flies. People living inland further deal with higher temps as they don't get the gulf breeze. The only time the gulf breeze is bad is when there is red tide and then it burns your nose, throat and makes your eyes burn.
I will admit I didn't know what red tide is until I googled it. Sounds scary.
Unbearably hot starts at about 85 degrees for me.

Rained all day. Cold rain. I can normally get away with a long-sleeved heavy shirt, today I had to wear a work jacket. 🥶

There isn't such a thing as winter anymore. There's Summer, Hell's Front Porch, Summer II, False Fall, Summer III, Fool's Fall, Summer IV, Actual fall, one cold week, then Summer returns.

There isn't such a thing as winter anymore. There's Summer, Hell's Front Porch, Summer II, False Fall, Summer III, Fool's Fall, Summer IV, Actual fall, one cold week, then Summer returns.

Don’t you live in the South?

I am 70 years old, born and raised in central Florida and have spent more Christmases in Shorts and Tee shirts than any other apparel. It ain't climate change, it is just the South. People that have moved here from Yankee land whine and moan all the time about the weather here in Florida. (wish they all would go home)

I am 70 years old, born and raised in central Florida and have spent more Christmases in Shorts and Tee shirts than any other apparel. It ain't climate change, it is just the South. People that have moved here from Yankee land whine and moan all the time about the weather here in Florida. (wish they all would go home)

I've not encountered that. I do, however, point out the obvious which when people ask how full time residents can stand it in the Florida summer heat explain it is no different than living north of the Mason - Dixon Line in the winter when temps drop into single digits. They go inside and crank up the heat.
In Florida, when the temps get ten to fifteen degrees below triple digits we go inside and crank up the a/c.
Snowbirds or those relocated from areas where snow has been known to reach exaggerated heights requiring it be shoveled do have a tendency to whine about how they miss snow for the Christmas Season.
I suppose those who have lived a lifetime in the Sunshine State during the Christmas Holiday might not fully grasp the mirage conveyed in the words, "Jack Frost nipping at your nose" or pleas to a female companion of "baby, it's cold outside," as completely as someone who experienced those lyrics. :)

^^^^^^^^^^^^
That should read, "...crank down the a/c."

Some of us are having difficulty which direction goes hot and which direction goes cold. The old plumbers axiom of hot is always on the left, cold is always on the right doesn't work in the above scenario. :idunno:

I have spent my share of time in sleet, ice, snow and extreme cold, in my many travels around this country and the world, to know I will take Florida weather any day over that.
Pretty nice here right now, 10:30 AM 70 degrees and sunshine, yeah, that's the ticket.

Wishing I was in Florida right now. Didn’t get out of the 40s yesterday, and it looks the same today, except with rain.
Supposed to get back into the 70s by the end of the week though.

This wind is bringing in a cold front and we've had some serious gusts that ripped off car ports and in a couple of cases, the roof off lanai's. My neighbor lost his patio cover and it started to lift the main roof of his lanai. I'm going over there now as the winds have subsided. I hope to be able to secure the metal until he gets here around the new year. Don't want to mess with it too much and possibly do more damage. It is quieted down for now and the rain and cold weather are coming. Temps to be in the 60's tomorrow with low at 52. Gonna stay in where it is warm when it gets to 52. Otherwise will need parka and insulated underwear. :rolleyes:

This wind caused more damage than the hurricane of 2017.

Down to fifty this morning. Had to use a blanket over the bed sheet last night and the heat came on a few times. Had a lot of damage in this community from the wind two days ago. Tore off car ports and downed some trees. My neighbor lost the rear patio cover when the wind got under it and lifted it, peeling back a small section of the lanai roof.

Attachments

• IMG_1729.jpg
    IMG_1729.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 101
Down to fifty this morning. Had to use a blanket over the bed sheet last night and the heat came on a few times. Had a lot of damage in this community from the wind two days ago. Tore off car ports and downed some trees. My neighbor lost the rear patio cover when the wind got under it and lifted it, peeling back a small section of the lanai roof.
This was only one home with damage. The wind died down after about three or four hours and immediately, neighbors were out helping neighbors. A crew of about eight guys showed up and immediately went up on the roof to remove the pieces of roofing that had peeled back. They left here and went to another house to repeat the same.
Another group of guys went to a house around the corner where a large tree fell. They cut it up and took it away within a matter of hours from the time it went down. The lady is a widow and everyone makes sure all the widows are looked after.
Meantime, several couples went from house to house picking up fallen branches and generally cleaning up around the community. There are many snowbirds who only live here "in season" but their properties look as clean as if they were in residence once the neighbors helping neighbors finished the task.
By the end of the day a visitor would have a hard time believing any damage had occurred.

That is what makes this community of 366 units so popular.
We have a waiting list of over twenty couples posted on the bulletin board in the club house who are looking for rentals but rentals are usually between people within the community who pass the word.
Amazingly, these units are selling for close to $250K! That is for a manufactured home built nearly forty years ago and conveys the property as well. Right now, real estate agents have a waiting list of prospective buyers for properties here when four miles up the road is a very nice manufactured home community with newer units and they are selling 75K to 100K less than the going prices in here.
Homes in here usually sell to someone else within the community who is looking for a location on one of the three lakes or is larger in size.
It is always neat and clean and thanks to strict HOA rules and regulations, plastic, pink, flamingoes, among other garnish lawn ornaments, are not permitted. The fiscal responsibility of the board of directors keeps money in reserve for time sensitive replacements such as roads, roof on club house, etc. and the HOA fees are among the lowest in the area and include lawn maintenance and 200 + cable channels.
We've thought of relocating to a stick built house on a foundation but in the long run decided to stay where we are because of the closeness of community.

Back
Top Bottom