2021 Fall/Winter Thread

Beautiful here in Central Florida yesterday and today, high yesterday 68 high, today at around 71, blue skies and light breeze. :booya: :punkrocke
Just heard we had gusts of up to 85 mph yesterday. Learning the issue is rusted #8 sheet metal screws pull out. The solution is to replace all older screws with #10's and use tie downs on carports. The storm came from the west and was/is headed up the east coast. This high wind did more damage than Hurricane Irma in 2017.

Supposed to rain for the next few days. This will not impact my grilling time. 👹
I know you need rain and think what a mess it is because so much land has been stripped by wildfires and is susceptible to massive flooding and mudslides. Hopefully Mother Nature will be kind and produce soft rains and plenty of snow pack in the mountains to provide water in the spring for reservoirs.

I know you need rain and think what a mess it is because so much land has been stripped by wildfires and is susceptible to massive flooding and mudslides. Hopefully Mother Nature will be kind and produce soft rains and plenty of snow pack in the mountains to provide water in the spring for reservoirs.
Authorities have issued evacuation suggestions in some of the most susceptible burn areas. With the amount of rain expected there’s certainly going to be some mudslides.
Saw on the news yesterday where there were bulldozers and other efforts working to secure the areas around some of the most vulnerable homes.
Not really what people want to be doing for Christmas.
I hope no losses for those folks 🤞🏻

Not in our area, not anywhere close to the damage of Irma, just a few dead limbs and leaves, no biggy here. I think you guys had a small twister spin up in your area.

We later learned from our daughter, who lives in Wilmington, NC and watches the weather channel to keep an eye on her aging parents safety and well being, there had been a tornado watch in this area. I don't say anything about tornadoes as we have no place to go in the event there was one. By the time we had notice of an tornado it would take ten minutes to get to a Publix Market or fifteen to a hospital, the only buildings of theoretical structural integrity. And the Publix Market might be a stretch if used as a safe haven during a tornado.

We later learned from our daughter, who lives in Wilmington, NC and watches the weather channel to keep an eye on her aging parents safety and well being, there had been a tornado watch in this area. I don't say anything about tornadoes as we have no place to go in the event there was one. By the time we had notice of an tornado it would take ten minutes to get to a Publix Market or fifteen to a hospital, the only buildings of theoretical structural integrity. And the Publix Market might be a stretch if used as a safe haven during a tornado.

Mostly Fla. tornadoes are small and at best EF1 80 -85mph short burst duration.

It's much colder than the past few days and it's indeed snowing outside. Supposed to be around 50 degrees and rainy from December 27 though.
Snow on Christmas is pretty rare. It's much more likely to snow in January or February.

Sitting on the patio yesterday, was 70* and a light breeze.

Cold front blew through.

Left house it was 58*

Drove 20 miles north and my dash showed 32*. Sustained another 20 miles.

Bottomed out around 19* feeling 1*. Did not dare go outside.

Sitting on the patio yesterday, was 70* and a light breeze.

Cold front blew through.

Left house it was 58*

Drove 20 miles north and my dash showed 32*. Sustained another 20 miles.

Bottomed out around 19* feeling 1*. Did not dare go outside.
Mid 80s here Saturday afternoon. 23* with strong wind at 7 AM this Sunday morning. Wind chill of 12*.
Never above 50* today. Down to 22* or 23* again tonight. Then back up to 60s/70s Tuesday and Wednesday.

Mid 80s here Saturday afternoon. 23* with strong wind at 7 AM this Sunday morning. Wind chill of 12*.
Never above 50* today. Down to 22* or 23* again tonight. Then back up to 60s/70s Tuesday and Wednesday.

Roller coaster weather. Saw Packers fans at the game with Carhardt insulated coveralls and bare chested, gloved hands tightly gripping what made Milwaukee's famous.

La Nina year and our sea water temp already at 70 degrees before new years.
We got up to around 85 today but trust me... here that's pretty hot.

Temperatures went all the way up to almost 60 degrees on New Year’s Eve, now it has cooled down again and it snowed in the last three nights.
La Nina year and our sea water temp already at 70 degrees before new years.
We got up to around 85 today but trust me... here that's pretty hot.
Wasn't last year a La Nina year already? Usually that means more snow and colder temperatures for us.

A recent article in the local paper indicated the continent is in for a double dose of foul weather with el Nino and one other adverse weather phenomenon reported to be expected. It seems no matter where you live the weather patterns are really screwy.
Woke up to temperature of 60 degrees with a high expected to be 75 to 80 today.

Man… All the passes to between eastern and western Washington are closed until Sunday… I’ve never heard of them being closed that long before.

Man… All the passes to between eastern and western Washington are closed until Sunday… I’ve never heard of them being closed that long before.

Sounds like a real mess up in the PNW. I was in Portland last week, and it was snowy and cold, but not that bad.

Since then, there have been blizzards shutting down large portions of I-84 and US-26, landslides in the Gorge, and widespread flooding in SW Washington that is about to get a lot worse.

This morning in Maryland, second snow this week. We got about 1.5 to 2 inches Monday about 4 overnight
20220107_090504.jpg

Sounds like a real mess up in the PNW. I was in Portland last week, and it was snowy and cold, but not that bad.

Since then, there have been blizzards shutting down large portions of I-84 and US-26, landslides in the Gorge, and widespread flooding in SW Washington that is about to get a lot worse.

It’s been a mess. At one point, we had a couple miles of I-5 closed south of Olympia due to flooding and all of the mountain passes closed. Passes are still closed, but I-5 has reopened, but for a while there you only had a couple 2 lane highways drivers in the Seattle metropolitan area had to access the rest of the US. We’re starting to feel it on the grocery shelves…

Catching some of the local news over this past week, the upcoming storm is all the rage. Pittsburgh, first paralyzed by the fear of the weather reports leading up to the storm will no doubt be in 'lockdown mode' once the first snowflake touches down. Hopefully everyone was able to get their milk, bread and eggs before things get slippery out there. I hear French Toast is all the rage during times like these. Good luck all! Stay safe.

Never thought about having French toast when ice storms hit. Too late now unless this end of Florida gets an ice storm or we relocate. ;)
The firs year we relocated from New Jersey to North Carolina, they had 20 inches of snow. It paralyzed all operations and pubic services.
They have been getting better at handling snow and icy conditions but are still in the learning process in that state. They had to take some lessons from Yankees to teach them how to deal with it. 😛

Never thought about having French toast when ice storms hit. Too late now unless this end of Florida gets an ice storm or we relocate. ;)
The firs year we relocated from New Jersey to North Carolina, they had 20 inches of snow. It paralyzed all operations and pubic services.
They have been getting better at handling snow and icy conditions but are still in the learning process in that state. They had to take some lessons from Yankees to teach them how to deal with it. 😛
Yankees have always been experts with snow. We always kept a snow shovel in the basement so we could shovel our way from the house to the barn if needed. The horses had to be fed and watered...and I had to be able to get to the tractor so I could clear all of our neighbors' driveways. :D

Yankees have always been experts with snow. We always kept a snow shovel in the basement so we could shovel our way from the house to the barn if needed. The horses had to be fed and watered...and I had to be able to get to the tractor so I could clear all of our neighbors' driveways. :D
Been awhile since I heard or read a response like that one. People forget how life was on the farm. The cows needed to be milked and livestock fed regardless of the weather. Nothing like a nice warm cow barn in a cold winter. Cows generate a lot of heat.

Hasn’t got out of the low 40s in a few days, might drop down into the teens tonight. I think the polar bears have begun their southerly migration.

What a beautiful photo. It is one of the best sunsets combining so many things casting a perfect light and creating perfect shadows. 👍

' Wicked strahm comin' Satahday '.
Blizzard conditions for Cape Cod, 12 to18 inches of snow for R.I. I'm all set, as usual.. It' never ceases to amaze me that people wait till the last minute to get their snow equipment ready, unlike me, who readied in October. Whole house generator is set, plenty of gas and food, firewood nice and dry in the garage.
Bring it...❄🌨☃️

Meanwhile, Florida braces for the coldest day since 2018 and a threat of temperatures dropping into the low thirties, possibly below freezing. Not good for full time Sunshine State residents who find temperatures of fifty to be equivalent to freezing temperatures. Gone get my long johns out (yes, I saved a pair for situations just like this).
Hopefully it will warm up to seasonable temperatures but the end of this next week and be a comfortable 75 degrees.

And we've got the Daytona 24 hour race. Fans and drivers going to be rather uncomfortable.

Back
Top Bottom