2021 Hall of Fame Nominees

kkfan91

Everyones an outlaw til its time to do outlaw s%&#

Modern Era Ballot

Neil Bonnett
, won 18 times in the NASCAR Cup Series, including consecutive Coca-Cola 600 victories

Jeff Burton
, won 21 times in the NASCAR Cup Series, including the Southern 500 and two Coca-Cola 600s

Dale Earnhardt Jr., 15-time NASCAR Cup Series Most Popular Driver and two-time Xfinity Series champion

Carl Edwards, winner of 28 NASCAR Cup Series races and 2007 Xfinity Series champion

Harry Gant, winner of 18 NASCAR Cup Series races, including two Southern 500 victories

Harry Hyde, 1970 NASCAR Cup Series championship crew chief

Larry Phillips, first five-time NASCAR weekly series national champion

Ricky Rudd, won 23 times in NASCAR Cup Series, including the 1997 Brickyard 400

Kirk Shelmerdine, four-time NASCAR Cup Series champion crew chief

Mike Stefanik, winner of record-tying nine NASCAR championships

Pioneer Ballot

Jake Elder
, three-time NASCAR Cup Series champion crew chief

Red Farmer, three-time NASCAR Late Model Sportsman champion; 1956 Modified champion

Banjo Matthews, built cars that won more than 250 NASCAR Cup Series races and three championships

Hershel McGriff, 1986 NASCAR West Series champion

Ralph Moody
, two-time NASCAR Cup Series owner champion as mechanical genius of Holman-Moody

Landmark Award

Janet Guthrie
, the first female driver to compete in a NASCAR Cup Series superspeedway race

Alvin Hawkins, NASCAR’s first flagman; established NASCAR racing at Bowman Gray Stadium with Bill France Sr.

Mike Helton, named third president of NASCAR in 2000; career included track operator roles at Atlanta Motor Speedway and Talladega Superspeedway

Dr. Joseph Mattioli
, founder of Pocono Raceway

Ralph Seagraves, formed groundbreaking Winston-NASCAR partnership as executive with R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company

I don't agree with Burton. Jr I can make the argument for based off of Xfinity championships and Daytona 500s

I don't agree with Burton. Jr I can make the argument for based off of Xfinity championships and Daytona 500s

If Mark Martin isn't a first ballot Hall of Fame inductee, Burton and Jr shouldn't be either.

But given the trend, I'd say they'll both end up there. Shelmerdine too because 3 For Dale. Stefanik will probably get inducted this time.

Landmark Award should go to either Guthrie or Seagraves. The Pioneer Award ballot is tough.

Glad I'm not the one voting. At this point I don't see Edwards making it. He did great things while in the sport, but since retiring early no one has heard from him.

If Mark Martin isn't a first ballot Hall of Fame inductee, Burton and Jr shouldn't be either.

But given the trend, I'd say they'll both end up there. Shelmerdine too because 3 For Dale. Stefanik will probably get inducted this time.

Landmark Award should go to either Guthrie or Seagraves. The Pioneer Award ballot is tough.
They changed the rules so only 3 go in 2 from modern and 1 from pioneer I believe is how it works.

They changed the rules so only 3 go in 2 from modern and 1 from pioneer I believe is how it works.

I thought it was still five, and why require two modern inductees? They're gonna end up inducting Michael Waltrip at that rate.

I vote Stefanik and Phillips on the modern ballot. Everyone on the pioneer ballot should go in before anyone else on that modern, sans Shelmerdine. But I'd probably go with Ralph Moody.

Landmark Award will probably go to Guthrie and should.

I thought it was still five, and why require two modern inductees? They're gonna end up inducting Michael Waltrip at that rate.

I vote Stefanik and Phillips on the modern ballot. Everyone on the pioneer ballot should go in before anyone else on that modern, sans Shelmerdine. But I'd probably go with Ralph Moody.

Landmark Award will probably go to Guthrie and should.
I definitely agree with Stefanik

Carl Edwards or Larry Phillips as the 2nd choice.
Red Farmer
Janet Guthrie.

I do not think Jeff Burton or Earnhardt Jr should make it in, I think Edwards has the better driving resume. But those two guys are currently seen covering the races and they will get some extra votes as a result.
Note Harry Gant would be my personal favorite to make the Hall among that group.

Could someone make an argument in a falsetto against Burton? It needs to be a really high pitch panicked one like his, one that sounds like he is fixing to soil himself.

The HoF can be a tough crowd and it should be, I am glad they reduced it to 3 a year.
All of the candidates had careers to be proud of but it does invite criticism when ones tries to define the most elite of all drivers.
It is all subjective no need to be offended, it ain't like the BeeGees will win an award.

I'm admittedly a little biased here, but it's a damn shame that Phillips isn't already in the HoF. IMO, he's neck and neck with Trickle as the greatest short-track racer ever.

I do not think Jeff Burton or Earnhardt Jr should make it in, I think Edwards has the better driving resume. But those two guys are currently seen covering the races and they will get some extra votes as a result.

I think Jr. should make it in one day. He is a two-time 500 winner, two-time Xfinity champion, and is one of the most well-known stars in series history.

I'm admittedly a little biased here, but it's a damn shame that Phillips isn't already in the HoF. IMO, he's neck and neck with Trickle as the greatest short-track racer ever.

He should already be in there. And honestly, Philip Morris should be nominated too.

They haven't invited you to be on the voting committee yet? ;) Hope you're still writing short track stuff during all this, Andy.

With less people getting in, it hurts me to say this as much of a fan of them both as I am, but Burton and Jr shouldn't go in YET. They will at some point, but right now we got a few more who do deserve it more.(I wouldn't be mad at them going in, but I wouldn't put them in just yet.) but both are surely deserving IMO. 4

Surely Jr, on top of the stuff Andy has mentioned, he's also a great car owner in the Xfinity series. Look at the championship drivers, and possibly future championship drivers of the Cup Series who drove for him. Dude has done a lot to help the sport. So he'll be in that Hall one day. Remember it's not a Cup Hall of Fame, it's NASCAR Hall of Fame.

It just gets hard with these drivers who stick around. Burton only had 4 wins after 2001 and 3 top 10 finishes in points. He was a good driver but hall of fame? Idk.

It just gets hard with these drivers who stick around. Burton only had 4 wins after 2001 and 3 top 10 finishes in points. He was a good driver but hall of fame? Idk.

I’m probably bias since I always was a fan of his.

I mean, plates and crappy race or not... he’s one of the few people to lead every lap in a race.

IMO anyone who doesn't think JR is a first ballot should probably get their head examined. However many consecutive years of most popular driver, couple 500 wins, 2 xfinity titles, couple more titles as an xfinity owner plus what hes done since leaving the car (Dale jr download and up in the booth). Talk about body of work (and no I definitely wouldn't consider myself to be a big fan of him during his driving career)

Second modern era for me is Kirk Shelmerdine just because I think the CC role is way overlooked.

Pioneer - Ralph Moody

Landmark - Ralph Seagraves

I’m probably bias since I always was a fan of his.

I mean, plates and crappy race or not... he’s one of the few people to lead every lap in a race.
I have no problem if he gets in, but when you get to like Kasey Kahne is he a hall of famer? I say not . But does that mean Harry Gant Ain't (they both have 18 wins), what about Ernie Irvan with 15 wins ? Just gets complicated

I have no problem if he gets in, but when you get to like Kasey Kahne is he a hall of famer? I say not . But does that mean Harry Gant Ain't (they both have 18 wins), what about Ernie Irvan with 15 wins ? Just gets complicated

I sometimes think the impact they left on the sport is what truly matters. Which I know kind of fights my own case for Burton, but I’ll be fine if he never does but be happy if he does

Don't make me drag out my why Kasey is a hall of famer thread. Because considering they are pointing out Jeff's Coke 600s and Southern 500 then let's point out Kasey has more Coke 600s and a Brickyard 400. Kasey won an Allstar race Jeff didn't, 3 career win total different. Like I will gladly sacrifice Kasey from the hall if Jeff doesn't go at least not early.

Stefanik, Moody, and Helton would be my "easy" votes. Everyone else is a toss-up but I wouldn't be upset if Jr was inducted...and I fully expect him to be.

Stefanik, Moody, and Helton would be my "easy" votes.
My objection to Helton is he is still 'active' as an administrator. Maybe it's because I'm from SC. We've been burned too many times by people who've had public properties named after them, only to have to figure out what to do when they've subsequently stepped on their dipsticks. Helton should be in but as long as he's still on NASCAR's payroll, he should wait.

Don't make me drag out my why Kasey is a hall of famer thread. Because considering they are pointing out Jeff's Coke 600s and Southern 500 then let's point out Kasey has more Coke 600s and a Brickyard 400. Kasey won an Allstar race Jeff didn't, 3 career win total different. Like I will gladly sacrifice Kasey from the hall if Jeff doesn't go at least not early.

But again, keep in mind you’re only looking at Cup stats, when it’s again a NASCAR Hall of Fame, not a CUP Hall of Fame. So why not dig into their stats and things in the other two series. Kasey only thing over Jeff in those is his Truck wins.

This isn’t me saying Kasey doesn’t deserve it, it’s me saying put respect o. Jeff Burton’s name.

It's a pretty weak group IMO. Burton, Dale Jr., and Edwards are not worthy of HOF consideration. This is what you run into when you let too many people the last few years.

I wouldn't say that. Jr and Edwards are two of the winningest drivers of all time

It's a pretty weak group IMO. Burton, Dale Jr., and Edwards are not worthy of HOF consideration. This is what you run into when you let too many people the last few years.
No way Junior doesn’t get in. Edwards is borderline IMO, Burton is a no.

Jr. has 26 Cup wins, two of which are Daytona 500’s, and also two Buschfinitywide championships. Being the MPD 15 times doesn’t hurt either. Edwards has 28 Cup wins and one Buschfinitywide championship, and finished 2nd in the Cup standings a couple of times. Burton’s resume is less impressive, 21 Cup wins and never finished higher than 3rd in points.

I’m far from a Edwards fan, but he was easily one of the best drivers all throughout his time (05-06) in cup and could have easily won a championship or two. Jr would get in on his Busch career and owner career alone. Burton is the toughest to make a case for

Does winning the 500, coke 600, southern 500 , help your case to get in? I mean mikey has 2 500 wins, that's no way that gets him in right?!

Edwards is borderline, I'd say another year or so and he gets in.

Gant should get in because he was honestly a freak case. To be his age as a rookie and successful is something still quite unprecedented. Honestly, the driver I can imagine even being close to his age coming in with that type of success.

Captain Kirk, Stefanik, and Phillips should be considered before Edwards and Jr. Jr's contributions on and off the track should get him in with no issue.

Mike Helton should be a lock and I'm still waiting on Smokey Yunick...

Does winning the 500, coke 600, southern 500 , help your case to get in? I mean mikey has 2 500 wins, that's no way that gets him in right?!

IMO there's no way that he should even make it the ballot. He's got 4 cup wins, all on restrictor plates, and his career in the booth can't be regarded as anymore than mediocre.

I really hope Kirk gets in, he was such a talent there in the 80's and 90's with Earnhardt. They were awesome together, kinda wish he had stayed for more of E's late career.

Back
Top Bottom