2022 106th Indianapolis 500 Pre-Race Thread

Do they still do the formula lights race or whatever they called them, on friday, or is that not even a thing anymore? That was the best race of the week.
The Freedom 100 has not been on the calendar the last two seasons, unfortunately. But it may not have mattered since it looks like Carb Day will be a complete washout at this moment.

USF2000 and Indy Pro 2000 still run at IRP ahead of the USAC races on Carb Night, but those certainly aren’t as interesting.

I'm OK with and maybe even in favor of the big cars being the only cars that ever hit the Speedway in May.

I can see the argument for the Freedom 100, but unlike others I don't really miss it, and I was never a fan of watching underpowered cars flat foot it around the big track.

I think beefing up ties to and cross promotion of the USAC events would be cool, but USAC itself is in a bit of a strange place right now.

Additionally, Doug Boles said this morning that less than 10k seats in the grandstands are all that's left. that's very encouraging. Can't wait to see the packed house again.

Additionally, Doug Boles said this morning that less than 10k seats in the grandstands are all that's left. that's very encouraging. Can't wait to see the packed house again.

I love the shots of the telecasts from the 1980s when the infield was 50-100 feet wide of spectators all the way around the track

I dont care too much if the pit stop competition gets rained out
but the cars really need to get on track for at least 30 mins to an hour.
Hopefully soon. Cars being pushed to pit road now.

Whew .... did not see that coming . 2 destroyed cars on Carb day.

I would love to see JJ get a win on his first try at Indy, but a part of me would also like to see Helio make history if he could somehow manage to do what no man or women has been able to do yet. 5

Wow. So Herta makes that great save on the Indy road course and now has a big crash on the oval. Glad he's alright. That's enough excitement outta him for awhile.

Anyone know if the race will be shown live on Peacock? I know it's still blacked out on local TV, but was curious about Peacock. I can't find any firm information regarding it.
IMG_20220528_213850.png

Well, it's 11:30 here. I just woke up from a little nap. I'll be leavin' here about 1:30 to pick up my son and head on over to the track. We'll get there about 4 a.m. and have breakfast from McDonalds in the car and try to be one of the first ones in line at the gate.

I've been thinking-this might be my last year going over. I love going over but at 75 years old and with crippled legs, it's getting rough to make it.

I get a Lot pass so I can park close to the track which means we have to fight the traffic going home. (First ones in, last ones out type of deal) So, several years ago I started grilling steaks the night before (like I did earlier tonight) and I'll take the Coleman stove and sit under the trees and warm our steaks with some green beans and mashed potatoes. Then we sit and eat while the lines of cars try unsuccessfully to get out of the place for a couple of hours.

And there's also the problem of fighting off 100,000 drunks all day long who have no idea where they're at.

But anyway I'll be thinking of you guys.

👍

Currently primitive camping just the little woman, the dog, and me.

My first non racing mémorial day in about 50 years going back to radio only live coverage. Will be hitting up the DVR on Wednesday
Pigeon Forge river campground.
In Hartford Tenn (about 45 min from town Pigeon Forge Tenn). They have WiFi and even 5g Cell signal.

Fixing to do some white water rafting.

Pigeon Forge river campground.
In Hartford Tenn (about 45 min from town Pigeon Forge Tenn). They have WiFi and even 5g Cell signal.

Fixing to do some white water rafting.
Good stuff! Watch out for the Class 5s, and stay alert for banjo music!

Back
Top Bottom