2022 Bahrain GP Thread

let’s Go!
1647794560985.gif

I know better than to get overhyped about Ferrari, but that’s a very encouraging opening weekend for them.

Pretty good debut for the new regulations too. Much easier to follow through corners without a bunch of aero wash.
I think you can. These cars have significantly less downforce so it’s all about straight away power and the driver keeping it steady through the corner. Personally I think if McLaren gets it together, Riccardo is going to do really well

I think you can. These cars have significantly less downforce so it’s all about straight away power and the driver keeping it steady through the corner. Personally I think if McLaren gets it together, Riccardo is going to do really well
They don't really have a lot less downforce, they're just producing it differently with the ground effect.
Cars without DRS didn't even make 300 kph on the start/finish straight. I think they’re might be even more passing if these cars had higher top speeds and longer braking zones.

I got hit with an extreme sense of Deju Vu when Perez dropped out. This reminded me of when the turbine cars at Indianapolis in 1968 flamed out within seconds of each other.

Had to miss watching the race yesterday and am still making my way through the replay. Very intriguing first half of the GP, and the new gen car really does appear to be somewhat better on the dirty air / wake front. Encouraging. I've only been partially spoiled on what is coming. :D

Finished now. Unbelievable. I feel a lot worse for Perez than I do Verstappen. This creates an intriguing gap for the apparently best car to overcome. Impressive from Ferrari, very fortunate for Mercedes. Should be quite a season, and these cars do appear to race better.

How many more races before the field catches up to Ferrari
Engine development is frozen, so what can be done to find more in terms of additional downforce will have to be do to be done.

Cost cap as well, its going to be a major change for some this year. Cream can still rise though, should be an interesting season.

How many more races before the field catches up to Ferrari
I have a hard time seeing Mercedes stay down for long, I wouldn’t be surprised if they are on par with the others by summer. They were not as good as Red Bull in the first half of the season last year and by the end of the year I think they were comfortably the best car.

Most impressive to me was Zhou Gyanou, but I've said it time and time again. He and Bottas will be a great match, Zhou is a very critical and very calculated with his overtakes. His wheel to wheel ability in F2 was one of his best qualities.

He could have finished 8th, but a point on his debut, especially with all of the hate about him getting the Alfa seat over Piastri and Gio was great to see. I hope he continues to drive this way, I like him quite a bit.

Those 954,000 saw the best racing of the weekend on tv. IMSA being a close second. I watched all the racing so this is based on my expert opinion. ;)

Half of the F1 audience being in the 18-49 demo is remarkable.

I have a theory on this. I think it comes down to personalities in the sport. Of course DTS helps get those personalities in front of more eyeballs, but from the back of the field to the front, F1 is chock full of big personalities. From the dramatic/controversial season finale with Lewis and Max, to KMag fook smashing a door, Mazepin bitching on the radio to a team who doesn't respect him, the list goes on and on. This is just my running theory, but NASCAR cup racing has been in a bit of a personality drought. Sure there are dust ups now and then, but besides Kyle Busch, who are the big, consistent personalities that fans love to hate or cheer week in and out. It's all so vanilla for me.

Of course the new car helps, but the cup series has that too. F1 to me just has more compelling stories that keep me coming back, and if given a choice of what I'm going to watch on a Sunday, it's F1 every time, and I'm firmly in that age bracket. I didn't mean to ramble, but I've been thinking quite a bit about how much F1 has exploded in the US since Liberty bought them, and what has been the driving factor(s) behind that.

Locked em up
I was watching part of this at a Mexican restaurant, too far from the screen to read names. I'm basing my comment on the 11:34 time stamp on @DanicaFreak 's post. Who was it that locked up like that? Are we talking about going into a right-hander, almost a hairpin, with the inside car lighting them up, and the outside car cutting under him and taking the lead? I almost defecated myself over someone abusing his tires that much with the next change still so far down the road. Please tell me whoever it was didn't make the podium.

I was watching part of this at a Mexican restaurant, too far from the screen to read names. I'm basing my comment on the 11:34 time stamp on @DanicaFreak 's post. Who was it that locked up like that? Are we talking about going into a right-hander, almost a hairpin, with the inside car lighting them up, and the outside car cutting under him and taking the lead? I almost defecated myself over someone abusing his tires that much with the next change still so far down the road. Please tell me whoever it was didn't make the podium.
I think it was from the battle for the lead between Leclerc and Max. Tires seemed to be less sensitive to lockups compared to previous years.

I have a hard time seeing Mercedes stay down for long, I wouldn’t be surprised if they are on par with the others by summer. They were not as good as Red Bull in the first half of the season last year and by the end of the year I think they were comfortably the best car.
I read where Hamiltion said they need to cut the drag on the car. If they can figure out the porposing and get the car running smoothly, then they can work on shedding some drag. If the car is bottoming that hard, I would imagine eliminating the porposing would certainly help you go faster and make the car a lot more settled.

Back
Top Bottom