• 18th place – 12
  • 19th place – 11
  • 20th place – 10
  • 21st place – 9
  • 22nd place – 8
  • 23rd place – 7
  • 24th place – 6
  • 25th and below – 5
An additional point is awarded for leading at least one lap, meaning that a race winner is guaranteed to score at least 51 points.

An additional point is also awarded to the polesitter, and two additional points are awarded to the driver who leads the most laps. All in all, a driver can score up to 54 points in a single race.

For the Indy 500, points are doubled. However, the only points doubled are those included in the list above; the bonus are not doubled.

With 2 races left : Portland and Leguna Seca
1 - Power - 482 points - Penske
2 - Newgarden - 479 Points - Penske
3- Dixon - 468 Points - Ganassi
4- Erricsson - 465 Points - Ganassi
5 - Palou - 439 Points - Ganassi

Points Structure
  • 1st place – 50
  • 2nd place – 40
  • 3rd place – 35
  • 4th place – 32
  • 5th place – 30
  • 6th place – 28
  • 7th place – 26
  • 8th place – 24
  • 9th place – 22
  • 10th place – 20
  • 11th place – 19
  • 12th place – 18
  • 13th place – 17
  • 14th place – 16
  • 15th place – 15
  • 16th place – 14
  • 17th place – 13
  • 18th place – 12
  • 19th place – 11
  • 20th place – 10
  • 21st place – 9
  • 22nd place – 8
  • 23rd place – 7
  • 24th place – 6
  • 25th and below – 5
An additional point is awarded for leading at least one lap, meaning that a race winner is guaranteed to score at least 51 points.

An additional point is also awarded to the polesitter, and two additional points are awarded to the driver who leads the most laps. All in all, a driver can score up to 54 points in a single race.

For the Indy 500, points are doubled. However, the only points doubled are those included in the list above; the bonus are not doubled.
Top four drivers all control their own fate with two races to go, consecutive wins would do it for any of them. I don’t expect that, but it shows how tight this really is.

Some pit action from the Inaugural race.

Portland GP 5.JPG

I guess it's a matter of time before they shut the series down due to safety concerns
Safety isn't an all-or-nothing issue. Racing can be made safer without having to shut it down. That's what the halo does. Regardless, safety overrides appearance.
Moto GP guys are laughing
Nice try at changing the subject. I'm not biting.

My point was that safety (rightfully) trumps appearance.
Actually it does not. Auto racing is a spectator sport, when the race cars stop looking like racecars for "safety" reasons spectators tune out, once that happens, the series is no longer viable and ceases to exist.
For the record, I'm pro Halo but hate the windscreen.

when the race cars stop looking like racecars for "safety" reasons spectators tune out,
Define what makes a race car look like a 'race car'.

Cars in other forms of racing don't look like these. Are cars in NASCAR, F1, IMSA, WEC, and countless other series 'race cars'?

Open-wheeled cars in this series 25 years ago didn't look much like these; even less so 50 years ago. Based on how they look, which ones are 'race cars': the ones from 2020, 1995, or 1970?

Actually it does not. Auto racing is a spectator sport, when the race cars stop looking like racecars for "safety" reasons spectators tune out, once that happens, the series is no longer viable and ceases to exist.
For the record, I'm pro Halo but hate the windscreen.
If we talk about stupid looking it's halos let's put a bar right across your vision. Windscreens look amazing, and I still stand they should be full fighter pilot style ****pits to look even cooler. But beyond that your entire argument is absurd.

Define what makes a race car look like a 'race car'.

Cars in other forms of racing don't look like these. Are cars in NASCAR, F1, IMSA, WEC, and countless other series 'race cars'?

Open-wheeled cars in this series 25 years ago didn't look much like these; even less so 50 years ago. Based on how they look, which ones are 'race cars': the ones from 2020, 1995, or 1970?
Open-****pit prototypes only went away within the last five years as well. Racing is always evolving in the name of safety, and I really don’t see the aeroscreen as a bad look. There should be a newer, lighter one coming in 2024 and then hopefully at some point a brand new chassis designed from the ground up to incorporate the aeroscreen. It’ll probably only look better interpreted in the future.

Honestly, the biggest aesthetic change recently was getting rid of the gaudy, downforcey OEM aero kits in favor of the lower downforce universal aero kit.

Honestly, the biggest aesthetic change recently was getting rid of the gaudy, downforcey OEM aero kits in favor of the lower downforce universal aero kit.
The appearance and disappearance of big ol' honkin' rear wheel 'bumpers' were major changes too. I didn't have a problem with them myself, and there occasional incidents when I wish they were still there.

But beyond that your entire argument is absurd.
How about making safety a condition of point standings, like the higher you're up in standings the less safety equipment you are allowed, like seat belts and helmets. Any thoughts?

I looked it up once, and you have to keep in mind that the Indianapolis Motor Speedway is the deadliest track in the world. If I remember correctly, in the first hundred years of racing there there was 52 deaths. That means on the average someone died at that racetrack every other year.

As long as I remember, drivers were screaming about safety. Clear back to Jackie Stewart. Guys like Jimmy Clark died way too young. Can you imagine guys like that who used to raise Formula 1 and did not even have a roll bar?

The windshield? How many people have been hit in the face by objects? Hinch cliffe got hit in the helmet up in Detroit by a chunk of black top that came up off of the road. Wilson was killed by an object that hit him in the face. And who knows if Dan Weldon would still be alive if he would have had something to protect his face and head. His car went airborne into the catch fence and a pole hit him in the face.

The rear fenders? I saw JR Hildebrand (remember him losing the Indy 500 on the last lap?) during a yellow light at St Petersburg, with all the cars following the pace car- stomp on the gas and run up over the back of Will Power for God sakes!! 🙄🙄

Yeah, safety should be a big issue.

👍

Can you imagine that it is safer to drive the family car at 150 mph on the Autobahn motorway in Germany that it is to race at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway?

IndyCar is a lot different now than it was 50 years ago when all you had to do was go around the track four times and you could qualify anything. I remember hearing Dan Gurney say that he had the nickname of Andy Granit-OILY for Andy Granatelli because every car he ever qualified in the Indy 500 would spew oil all over the track and all the other drivers.

Ha-ha!!

They won't let you do that anymore.

I've got my fingers crossed that no one gets disqualified for illegal trunk capacity like Ken Miles.

I love the IndyCar TV deal right now so much it makes me want to go to Indianapolis or Portland soon maybe

I’ll never understand why NBC NASCAR shoves playoffs down our throat but NBC IndyCar barely has an update.

Interesting how the black tires even with how warm the ambient and track temp increases is still so difficult to bring it in its working window.

Back
Top Bottom