2022 IndyCar News/Misc.

AuzGrams

Team Owner
I for the life of me can’t figure out why GM or Roger Penske or Detroit / Michigan want to move Belle Isle to the Detroit Streets. I’m sure there’s some reason that I do not get.

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
I for the life of me can’t figure out why GM or Roger Penske or Detroit / Michigan want to move Belle Isle to the Detroit Streets. I’m sure there’s some reason that I do not get.
A lot of the event’s footprint will be accessible for free, with more of a true downtown festival type of feel. More in terms of activation, concerts, etc. Inspired in part by Nashville, I’m sure.

And despite how often they said it wasn’t an issue I’m sure the constant pushback from locals on using the park at its summer peak played a factor. Not very fun when the park probably doesn’t have too many usable months weather-wise and there’s a car race being set up/torn down for several weeks.

AuzGrams

Team Owner
A lot of the event’s footprint will be accessible for free, with more of a true downtown festival type of feel. More in terms of activation, concerts, etc. Inspired in part by Nashville, I’m sure.

And despite how often they said it wasn’t an issue I’m sure the constant pushback from locals on using the park at its summer peak played a factor. Not very fun when the park probably doesn’t have too many usable months weather-wise and there’s a car race being set up/torn down for several weeks.

I get the argument but I did not see much free parking in downtown Detroit, traffic was much worse downtown. Belle Isle looked more natural road course & easier to manage traffic and shutting things down.

Charlie Spencer

Road courses and short tracks.
Inspired in part by Nashville, I’m sure.
As a racing fan, I've seen nothing inspirational about Nashville yet. There may be other stuff going on that's great for the attendees a city doesn't need a mediocre race to put on a festival. I guess I don't truly understand why cities bother tying up traffic for weeks for these races.

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
As a racing fan, I've seen nothing inspirational about Nashville yet. There may be other stuff going on that's great for the attendees a city doesn't need a mediocre race to put on a festival. I guess I don't truly understand why cities bother tying up traffic for weeks for these races.
Scott Borchetta, Roger Penske, and GM like being in the racing business. If some other group is ready and willing to host a downtown festival without a race I’m sure there are plenty of cities willing to welcome them.

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
That's the part I don't get. Why do cities bother, especially when the most recent attempts to host a new street course have been so unsuccessful (Baltimore, Houston, Nashville)?
Cities usually aren’t on the hook for much, don’t have to put much effort in, and get to bring in tourism dollars to their area. The biggest determining factor in how well a street course event lasts is the quality of the promoter. Baltimore and Boston had poor promoter groups and a fair amount of corruption. Nashville at least seems like a financial success so far.

Top Bottom