2022 MotoGP News/Misc.

donthaveanickname

Team Owner
The entry lists for all classes were released this Monday.
MotoGP will see the number of full-time competitors increase from 22 to 24 as Gresini Racing has separated from Aprilia and will run an independent Ducati team instead.
There will be five rookies in the premier class, including Moto2 World Champion Remy Gardner. Raul Fernandez (2nd in 2021), Marco Bezzecchi (3rd) and Fabio di Giannantonio (7th) will also move up from Moto 2 while Darryn Binder will move up directly from Moto3 to MotoGP following his 7th-place-finish in the championship last year (which is not a good idea, but whatever).
1637190943953.png

The Moto2 field includes 30 riders, eleven of which will be rookies (oh boy). The American riders Joe Roberts and Cameron Beaubier will be back in their rides from 2021, Beaubier will be joined by MotoAmerica Supersport champion Sean Dylan Kelly at the American Racing team. Moto3 veterans Fenati and Antonelli will finally move up after 10 years in the lowest world championship class.
1637191028607.png

Moto3 will also feature a 30-bike field including 11 rookies. 2022 will be the final season before the minimum age for all classes of the World Championship is raised to 18 years (17 for Rookies Cup and Moto3 Junior World Champions).
1637190967260.png

If everything goes to plan, the schedule will set a new record, featuring 21 races.
1637189825930.png

https://www.motogp.com/en/calendar
https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2021/11/16/2022-provisional-entry-lists-announced/402505

Attachments

• 1637190956398.png
    1637190956398.png
    289.3 KB · Views: 151
Despite the presence of the Indonesian president and an anti-rain dancer on pit road, the MotoGP race is currently being delayed due to torrential rain.
There has also been a lightning strike right on the track and Somkiat Chantra has put on a superb performance to become the first Thai GP winner ever.

Edit: Rain cleared right after the national anthem was played, the race is now scheduled to start in a little more than 20 minutes.

Marc Marquez will miss the race after suffering a concussion in his 4th crash of the weekend.

Biggest highside Ive ever seen . MM ok - had concussion , missed race.

Biggest highside Ive ever seen . MM ok - had concussion , missed race.

Not OK unfortunately. Marc has double vision once again and will miss an unspecified number of races.
It should be pointed out that this was his fourth crash of the weekend and it happened in the Warm-up. This guy is riding way over his head sometimes. This was avoidable.

Wow, that will certainly put a damper on championship hopes.
I think its amazing he did not have several broken bones and out for the year.

After six years of using Windows 10 I found out it included a DVR.:windows:
I asked my mom to set it up for the start of the Moto2 race but unfortunately the DVR records only 2 hours at once so the recording included only the first 6 laps of the MotoGP race.
Thankfully I managed to find a 20-minute recap of the race on YouTube today and somehow avoided all spoilers during the week.

Marc would have won the damn thing if not for his terrible start. Heartbroken for Beaubier who was on his way to his best world championship result ever until he crashed with three corners to go.

I'm worried about Rins, he maybe the odd man out of all of this.
I just hope this doesn't start a trend and that Suzuki is going to be the only manufacturer to leave.
It's possible that GasGas could replace them as soon as 2024, but that would just be a re-bagded KTM. If Rins continues to perform like he did in the first 5 races of this season I wouldn't be too worried about him. Both RNF-Yamaha and both LCR-Honda riders might be out by the end of the year so there might be some open spots.
Suzuki will likely receive a heavy fine as they're signed up to compete through 2026.

Dovizioso has confirmed Misano will be his last GP.
I'd be shocked if this actually happens but there could be a Kazakh GP next year.

It's been a while since I last watched MotoGP. There's been a bunch of bad news in this thread lately...sheesh! :(

It's been a while since I last watched MotoGP. There's been a bunch of bad news in this thread lately...sheesh! :(
More bad news unfortunately as former Moto2 rider Gino Rea has been critically injured in a practice crash at the Suzuka 8 Hour race. The crash happened in the same corner where Daijiro Kato lost his life in 2003.

More bad news unfortunately as former Moto2 rider Gino Rea has been critically injured in a practice crash at the Suzuka 8 Hour race. The crash happened in the same corner where Daijiro Kato lost his life in 2003.
"There remains no official word on the condition of British racer Gino Rea some 48 hours after he was knocked unconscious in an accident during preparations for the Suzuka 8 Hours endurance event."

There was a positive-sounding tweet from a paddock insider, but I'll wait for news to come from Rea's family, his Honda team, or race officials.

Daijiro Kato's crash was of course the impetus for MotoGP to abandon Suzuka in favor of Motegi. That wall...:mad:

The Suzuka 8 Hours has slipped some in worldwide motorsports importance and prestige in recent years, but it remains huge in Asia. It is the Indy 500 of Japan. The four big Japanese motorcycle manufacturers go head-to-head on their home turf, with bragging rights and showroom luster on the line. A ton of factory resources are deployed... hardware, manpower, financial support, top superbike riders from around the world.

Honda won this year in a major upset over the favored Kawasaki team. Team HRC Honda with riders Iker Lecuona, Tetsuta Nagashima and Takumi Takahashi scored the win over a Kawasaki line up of six-time WorldSBK champion Jonathan Rea, Leon Haslam, and triple 8 Hour winner Alex Lowes.

Mike Baldwin, my friend and racing mentor back in the mid-70's, won the Suzuka 8 Hour three times... 1978 w/ Suzuki, 1981 and 1984 w/ Honda. When I started racing in 1974, Mike was about 19 years old, working at the small, hole-in-the-wall Yamaha dealership that was getting most of my spare cash. He sold me some used (like, really really used) leathers, and helped me a lot preparing and setting up my race bike. To win the Suzuka 8 Hour three times is an outrageous accomplishment... Mike was the first to do it... but he won a lot of other races and championships as well. His 500 cc Grand Prix career was going well too, but cut short but serious (not permanent) injury.

Gino Rea's family issued a brief statement on Tuesday after arriving in Japan. It mentions "serious head injuries" and Gino remains sedated to control swelling in his brain. "He is due for another CT scan on Wednesday (yesterday) for a re-evaluation of his condition."

Today there is this guardedly positive update...

Oliveira has declined an offer by KTM to ride the Tech3-GasGas next year and will join RNF-Aprilia instead.

Silly Season is now pretty much done and it looks like this will be the field for 2023:

Ducati Factory Team: Bagnaia and Bastianini
Pramac Ducati: Zarco and Martin
Gresini Ducati: DiGiannantonio and Alex Marquez
VR46 Ducati: Marini and Bezzecchi

Yamaha Factory Team: Quartararo and Morbidelli

Aprilia Factory Team: Aleix Espargaro and Vinales
WithU RNF-Aprilia: Oliveira and Raul Fernandez

KTM Factory Team: Binder and Miller
Tech3-GasGas (rebranded KTM): Pol Espargaro and Augusto Fernandez(R)

Repsol-Honda: Marc Marquez and Mir
LCR-Honda: Rins and Nakagami

Remy Gardner will join the GRT Yamaha customer team in WSBK next year.
Darryn Binder will compete for Intact GP in Moto2 alongside Lukas Tulovic in 2023.
Cameron Beaubier will leave Moto2 and return to MotoAmerica competition.
Mugello might get the boot after 2023 if attendance remains low.

Just watched Phillip Island and I can't believe what I saw.
This was easily one of the best MotoGP races I ever watched, complete hold your breath madness throughout all 27 laps and an extremely unlikely winner.

Back
Top Bottom